Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

Made your Smothered Chicken tonight Kathy and it was super. I didn't bother with potato or rice as I had loads of veg with it and was still full. Will definitely be making it again! I've linked to here from my page, hope that's ok.

Here's a badly taken photo and I only remembered after I'd started eating it, oops but better than nothing.

View attachment 164140

Aww, thanks Linda! Made me laugh when you said you'd actually started to eat it, then remembered to take a photo! :D Thanks so much though. You know what I'm like with technology and photos make the recipe look so much better. And, course I don't mind! I love it! xx

CHICKEN PASTA BAKE - Serves 4

Syn Free, if using the cheese as a HEX

200g dried pasta shapes
1 large onion, finely diced
2 tbsp. tomato puree
4 large cloves of garlic, crushed - less, if preferred
300g cooked skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
120g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
2 tsp. dried basil
2 tsp. dried oregano
2 x 400g chopped tomatoes
6-8 rashers bacon, all visible fat removed - optional

Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
Cook the pasta according to pack instructions.
Grill the bacon until golden, then snip into pieces, with a pair of scissors.
Spray a large, non-stick pan well with Frylight and cook the onion until softened. To speed things up a bit, you could start it off in the microwave, with a splash of water. (Haven't put that for ages!!).
Add the tomato puree, herbs, garlic, tomatoes and a pinch of sweetener, if liked. Season with a little salt and some black pepper.
Simmer gently for about 20 minutes.
If the sauce is too thick, stir in a little boiling water until the desired consistency is reached.
Drain the pasta and rinse with boiling water.
Add the pasta, chicken and bacon, if using, to the tomato sauce. Stir together.
Spoon into an ovenproof baking dish, scatter with the grated cheese and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is golden.

Lovely served with a large, crisp salad.

Obviously, you could add in other/different/additional ingredients - mushrooms, peppers, chorizo (Synned), etc.

TOMATO AND CHICKPEA SOUP - Serves 4

Approx. 0.5 Syns per serving

1 large onion
1 clove of garlic, crushed
500ml vegetable stock
2 large carrots, peeled and diced
400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tbsp. couscous
3 level tsp. harissa paste - 1.5 Syns
2 tbsp. tomato puree
400g can chopped tomatoes
1 tsp. ground cumin - optional

Spray a large, non-stick pan well with Frylight and cook the onion gently until softened. Could start it off in the microwave, with a splash of water, to start things off.
Stir in the garlic, harissa paste, tomato puree and cumin.
Add the tomatoes, stock, carrots and chickpeas. Simmer for 30 minutes.
Add the couscous and cook for a further 5 minutes.
Season with a little salt and some black pepper.
Serve in warmed bowls.

Lovely with a chunk of crusty HEX bread.

Could add in some finely diced celery, finely chopped parsley, finely diced peppers, etc.

This is based on a recipe by Good Food magazine. It is quite a thick soup so, obviously, add more stock to suit your needs.

COURGETTE SAUTE - Serves 6

1 Syn per serving

1 tbsp. olive oil - 6 Syns
1 onion, finely chopped
400g can chopped tomatoes
Either 900g courgette, unpeeled and cut into slices or a combination/equivalent of different veg
1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
150g uncooked white rice
1 tsp. paprika, or to taste
150ml veg. or chicken stock
1 tbsp. mild curry powder - optional

Heat the oil in a large, non-stick pan, over a medium heat.
Add the onion and sauté for about 5 minutes.
Add the courgette and/or other veg, along with the green pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the veg begins to soften, but still retains some crunch.
Stir in the curry powder, if using.
Add the rice, canned tomatoes and stock, stirring well. Season. Cover and cook gently for 20 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.

Add more liquid, if necessary.

Have tried this with Frylight but it doesn't really work very well and, even with the oil, it's still very low Syn.
Lovely with HEX cheese grated over, just before serving. Reduced fat Mozarella is also good, dotted over, just before serving, as it melts into the rice and is really yummy. 65g reduced-fat Mozarella = 1xHEX.

This is an adaptation of a recipe by some called NIBLETS, off the allrecipes site.

Hi, I can't seem to find a specific thread for this. Does anyone have any good slow cooker recipes or point me in the direction of where I can find some? Thanks in advance!

ANOTHER SLOW COOKER PULLED PORK RECIPE - Serves 4

Approx. 4 Syns per serving

1kg boneless pork shoulder joint, all visible fat removed
150ml reduced sugar and salt tomato ketchup - 5 Syns
50ml apple cider vinegar
3 level tbsp. dark brown sugar - 9 Syns
1 tbsp. Worcester Sauce
Half tsp. cayenne pepper
Half tsp. paprika
2 level tsp. corn-flour - 2 Syns

Put the joint into the slow cooker.
Mix all the other ingredients, except the corn-flour, together and pour over the joint.
Cook on High for 4-6 hours or on Low for 6-8 hours.
After cooking, remove the joint from the slow cooker and transfer to a plate. Shred the meat, using two forks.
Carefully blend the corn-flour with a little water, until a smooth, thick paste is formed.
Stir the paste slowly into the sauce in the bottom of the cooker. Stir constantly whilst doing this, until the sauce thickens to a consistency of gravy, adding a little water, if necessary.
Tip the shredded pork back into the sauce, turning the slow cooker to Low and stirring all the time.
Leave, on Low, in the slow cooker for a further 30 minutes or so, checking from time to time and stirring frequently.

Lovely served on HEX bread rolls with salad and possibly topped with HEX grated cheese. Also lovely with a pile of SW wedges/chips and a huge side salad.

This recipe is based on one by Laurenne Hopkins.

Thanks so much for the link Cavegirl, much appreciated!

That pulled pork recipe sounds gorgeous Chocko, can't wait to try that!

This forum is so informative and everyone is so helpful, I am so grateful for all the support and encouragement! X

I know what you mean, Elaine! I love this forum. It's great just to chat with people in the same boat, to exchange ideas, advise and really, just friendship! :) Hope you enjoy the pulled pork, if you give it a go! :)

Kathy xx

Kathy I have just had sausages and put them in onion and apple with some Dijon mustard. A port like you pork and apple. It was lovely.

CREAMY PAPRIKA PORK - Serves 4

1 Syn per serving

350g pork fillet, all visible fat removed and cut into medallions
2 onions, finely sliced
200g closed cap mushrooms, sliced
1 tbsp. smoked paprika
2 grilled peppers in brine, from a jar - drained of any liquid
1 tbsp. tomato puree
200ml chicken stock
100ml BGTY half-fat crème fraiche - 3.5 - 4 Syns

Place a non-stick pan over a medium heat and spray well with Frylight. Cook the onions until soft. Putting a lid on the pan helps to speed things up with Frylight.
Turn the heat up and add the pork and mushrooms. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring continuously.
Add the paprika and cook for a further minute, before adding the chopped up peppers.
Stir in the tomato puree and the chicken stock.
Put the lid on and simmer for about 8-10 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper.
Stir through the crème fraiche and heat through, without boiling.

Lovely served with rice. Could add in some peas for the last three minutes of cooking time.

This recipe is based on one by a lady called Abbe.

Last edited:
STUFFED BAKED TROUT - Serves 2

Approx. 3 Syns per serving - probably slightly over-Synned

150ml vegetable stock
50g couscous
1 level tbsp. pine nuts, lightly toasted - 6 Syns (25g pine nuts = 9 Syns)
2 tbsp. chopped parsley
Rind and juice of 1 lemon
4 boneless trout fillets

Pour the stock over the couscous in a bowl, cover with cling-film and leave until the couscous has soaked up all the liquid.
Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
When it has done so, stir in the pine nuts, parsley, lemon rind and juice. Season to taste.
Lightly spray 2 sheets of foil with olive oil Frylight. Use a pastry brush to spread it around evenly.
Season the trout and make a sandwich of two fillets, with half the couscous mixture in the middle. Repeat with the other two fillets.
Wrap the 'sandwiches' individually in the foil and bake for 15-20 minutes. The fish is cooked when it flakes easily.

Lovely served with baby new potatoes and a side salad or petit pois.

This recipe is based on one in the Easy Cook magazine.

CHICKPEA PATTIES - Serves 2

3 Syns per serving

400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 large egg
1 level tbsp. ground almonds - approx. 5 Syns (25g = 7.5 Syns)
2 level tsp. harissa paste - 1 Syn
1 tsp. ground cumin
3 tbsp. chopped parsley

Tip the chickpeas, garlic, egg, ground almonds, harissa and cumin into a bowl and blitz with a hand blender or in a food processor, until smooth.
Stir in the chopped parsley.
Spray a large, non-stick frying pan well with Frylight and add the mixture in 8 spoonfuls, spaced out.
Cook for about 5 minutes on each side, until heated through and pale golden.

Had these the other night and served them with spicy SW wedges and a huge salad, dotted with HEX Feta cheese. Mmm! Would also be good with SW chips and baked beans.

Recipe based on one from the Easy Cook magazine.

SLOW COOKER CHICKEN CURRY - Serves 4

2 Syns per serving

4 x skinless, chicken breasts
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into large chunks
Half a can of Blue Dragon Light Coconut Milk - 7.5 Syns
120ml chicken stock
Tomato puree, to taste
2 tbsp. curry powder or to taste - any kind
1 cup of frozen peas
2 tbsp. lemon juice

Mix together the coconut milk, chicken stock, tomato puree and curry powder, blending the powder carefully, so no lumps form. Season with a little salt. Tip into the slow cooker.
Add the chicken breasts, onion, chickpeas and sweet potato chunks. Gently mix together.
Cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours.
Stir in the peas (or you could use baby spinach leaves) and lemon juice 5 minutes before serving.

If liked, you could add in about half tsp. cayenne pepper and maybe garnish with some fresh coriander leaves. Obviously, up the amount of curry powder to suit your tastes.

BEEF CASSEROLE WITH GNOCCHI - Serves 4

Approx. 4.5 Syns per serving

450g lean stewing steak, cut into 2.5cm cubes
1 tsp. paprika
1 tbsp. oil - 6 Syns
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 large cloves of garlic, crushed
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
200ml vegetable stock
1 level tbsp. light brown sugar - 3 Syns
1 tbsp. tomato puree
400g gnocchi - 8 Syns

Put the beef into a large plastic food bag. Add seasoning and the paprika. Shake well, coating the beef in all the spices.
Heat the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan.
Cook the beef in batches, until brown on all sides. Transfer to a hob-proof dish or large pan.
In the same pan you browned the beef in, cook the onion and garlic for 3 minutes. Tip into the dish/pan, along with the beef.
Add the tomatoes, stock, sugar and puree. Bring this to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for two to two and a half hours, or until the beef is meltingly tender.
Ten minutes before the end of the cooking time, add the gnocchi to the dish/pan.

Really tasty served with lots of fresh veg, especially with a chunk of crusty HEX bread.

If you like a bit of a kick, you could sprinkle in about half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper too and, for some added depth, add in a cinnamon stick too.

This recipe is based on one from the Hereford Cattle Society.

BACON AND CAULIFLOWER CHEESE -Serves 4 Syn Free, if using the cheese as HEX's 1 large cauliflower, cut into florets 500g tub of Quark 4 eggs 160g reduced-fat, extra mature Cheddar 8-10 rashers of bacon, all visible fat removed and cut into strips Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6. Steam or boil the cauliflower florets, drain well and put into a large, ovenproof bowl. Beat the Quark, eggs and 110g of the cheese, with salt and pepper, to taste. Mix until smooth. Pour over the cauliflower. Sprinkle the remaining cheese, evenly, over the top and place strips of bacon over the top of this, making sure they don't overlap too much. Bake for 25 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbling and the bacon is cooked through. I add a little paprika in with the Quark mixture and, when I want a bit more crunch to the bacon, I cook it under the grill and place it on top of the plated up food. Lovely, either as a side dish or served with crusty HEX bread, for a tasty lunch/tea. This was based on a SW recipe and then adapted by Amy Jones.

Thinking of doing this as a side to go with sea bass and roasted veg x

TO FIND RECIPES MORE EASILY, GO TO ONE OF THE RECIPE INDEXES ON PAGES 55 OR 98. PRESS CTRL AND F. THIS WILL BRING UP A BOX ON THE SCREEN. TYPE, SAY, CHICKEN INTO THE BOX AND ALL THE RECIPES WITH CHICKEN IN THE TITLE WILL BE HIGHLIGHTED, ETC.

Mmm, sea bass! That sounds delicious! Let me know how it goes, sookie. Hope everything's ok with you. :) xx

Last edited:
I just wanted to say thank you Chocko ( mostly ) I have saved hundreds of recipes to word docs on my pc from this thread. I aim to try one new one every week. Needless to say I have stocked up on Chorizo ;):D

Aww, thank-you so much for such a lovely comment! Sorry, can't bring myself to call you Crazyfool!! :D I do hope you enjoy any you try and thanks for letting me know. :) Yes, ahem. Must admit I've got a 'thing' about chorizo! So tasty but so surprisingly low on Syns - luckily!

Kathy x

Back