Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

Chicken & Chorizo is lovely. When not in Haverhill, which I am on and off till 21st Feb, I want to try this one.

Oh, good. As you can see, it's really easy but very tasty. :) Have fun in Haverhill and keep in touch! Can't believe how well you're doing lately - you're such an inspiration to us! Think you're so organised, especially with all your hospital appointments lately!

I'll have to get back on the straight and narrow, properly, once Amy's back in Scotland!

Have a good weekend, Doreen. xx

SPICY LAMB BURGERS - Serves 6

Syn Free, if using the breadcrumbs as part HEX's. If not, add approx. 1.5-2 Syns each (25g bread = 2.5 Syns)

750g 5% fat lamb mince - my butcher gladly minces any very lean lamb I buy from him. Much tastier than supermarket bought, too.
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3cm piece of ginger, peeled and grated
1-2 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. ground cumin
Half a beaten egg
100g fresh breadcrumbs

Put the minced lamb into a mixing bowl with the garlic, onion, chilli and spices. Mix with your hands until thoroughly combined.
Add the egg and breadcrumbs, season with salt and pepper and mix again.
At this point, if you like, take a small amount of the mixture, spray a frying pan with Frylight and cook it, checking to see if the seasoning or spice needs adjustment.
Divide the mixture into 6 burger shapes and place on a baking tray. Cover with cling film and chill in the fridge for about an hour, to firm up.
To cook the burgers, either spray with a little Frylight and cook under a pre-heated medium grill for 10-12 minutes, turning half way through or cook in a Frylighted non-stick frying pan for the same amount of time.
Check the burgers are thoroughly cooked through before serving.

These are lovely served on a HEX bread roll (unless you've used it for the breadcrumbs), topped with crisp lettuce and a blob of Tzatziki. 1 level tbsp. of Tzatziki = 1 Syn.
Also good with SW chips and peas.

This is another of Booths, the supermarkets, recipes.

SPICY SAUSAGE AND BEAN ONE-POT - Serves 4

Syn Free

1 onion, finely chopped
8 Syn Free SW sausages
1 large clove of garlic, crushed
2 x 400g kidney beans in chilli sauce

Spray a large, non-stick frying pan well with Frylight and cook the onion gently until softened. Better with a lid on.
Meanwhile, grill the sausages until cooked through.
Add the garlic to the pan, with the kidney beans and their sauce.
Half fill one of the cans with water, and add to the pan.
Stir together and bring to the boil. Turn down to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. If you want a thicker sauce, cook until the liquid has reduced down a bit more.

Lovely with mash to soak up the sauce or with SW wedges.

This is an Easy Cook recipe, with a couple of tweaks.

Last edited:
Sorry, Doreen. I'm cracking up! Just had to remove the recipe the flour was mentioned in because I realised, I only added it a few days ago!! I've added a sausage one in place of it now! :D xx

CAJUN CHICKEN AND BACON BURGERS - Serves 4

Syn Free

4 skinless chicken breasts
8 rashers of bacon, all visible fat removed
1 tbsp. ground cumin, or to taste
1 tbsp. ground coriander, or to taste
1 tbsp. paprika
Half a tsp. ground ginger

Mix the spices together, with half a tsp. salt and a good grind of pepper.
Place the chicken breasts between two pieces of cling film and bash with a rolling pin or mallet, until half their original size.
Spray the chicken with Frylight and coat with the seasoning.
Grill the chicken for 10 minutes, on each side, under a medium grill. About halfway through, add the bacon to the grill. If there isn't enough room, grill the bacon beforehand.

Lovely served on HEX rolls, with salad, some HEX cheese and a little Extra Light mayo. Extra Light Mayo - 2 level tbsp. = 1.5 Syns.
Also tasty with a side of SW chips!

This recipe is by Amy Jones, which she originally adapted from BBC Good Food.

Last edited:
CAJUN CHICKEN AND BACON BURGERS - Serves 4

4 skinless chicken breasts
8 rashers of bacon, all visible fat removed
1 tbsp. ground cumin, or to taste
1 tbsp. ground coriander, or to taste
1 tbsp. paprika
Half a tsp. ground ginger

Mix the spices together, with half a tsp. salt and a good grind of pepper.
Place the chicken breasts between two pieces of cling film and bash with a rolling pin or mallet, until half their original size.
Spray the chicken with Frylight and coat with the seasoning.
Grill the chicken for 10 minutes, on each side, under a medium grill. About halfway through, add the bacon to the grill. If there isn't enough room, grill the bacon beforehand.

Lovely served on HEX rolls, with salad, some HEX cheese and a little Extra Light mayo. Extra Light Mayo - 2 level tbsp. = 1.5 Syns.
Also tasty with a side of SW chips!

This recipe is by Amy Jones, which she originally adapted from BBC Good Food.

Mmmm I need to make this sometime next week!! :)

Was only mentioning to my OH just last week that I wanted to look into finding a chicken burger recipe. I make a few variations of beef burgers from different mags, books etc, which we enjoy as feels like quite a treat with SW chips, but wanted to try a chicken burger for a change...and here you are! As always Kathy, ur efforts with this thread are amazing and appreciated! x

Thank-you so much, Niccinoo. What a lovely message to see, when first switching on to Mini's! :) I hope you really enjoy them, if you give them a try. Sometimes we just need a change, don't we?

Thanks again! That's really brightened up my Sunday! :)

Kathy xx

JUST A QUICK UP-DATE ON SYNS IN CREME FRAICHE - Rather than alter all the recipes, just thought I'd let you know that, by the looks of things on-line, SW are no longer classing BGTY crème fraiche as 0.5 Syn per level tbsp. Here are the lowest Synned on the SW on-line site -

Yeo Valley Organic 0% fat, crème fraiche - 1 level tbsp. = 0.5 Syn
Weight Watchers crème fraiche - 1 level tbsp. = 0.5 Syn
Waitrose Half Fat crème fraiche - 1 level tbsp. = 1 Syn
Sainsbury's Half Fat crème fraiche - 1 level tbsp. = 1 Syn

Won't make much difference but hope it helps. x

CHICKEN AND MUSHROOM STROGANOFF - Serves 4

1.5 - 2 Syns per serving

1 onion, finely chopped
350g skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
125g chestnut mushrooms, thinly sliced
125g closed cap mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 tsp. paprika
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp. brandy - 3.5 Syns
300ml boiling chicken stock
7 level tbsp. Weight Watchers crème fraiche - 3.5 Syns

Spray a large, non-stick frying pan well with Frylight. Gently cook the onion and garlic until beginning to soften. This is quicker if you cover the pan.
Add the chicken and cook through, for about 5 minutes.
Add the mushrooms, paprika, Worcestershire sauce and brandy, cooking for about 1 minute.
Add the hot stock. Bring to the boil and simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes.
Add the crème fraiche and stir it through. Keep the heat very gentle, so as not to split or curdle the sauce.
If the sauce is too thin for your liking, thicken with a teaspoon of cornflour (1 Syn), mixed to a thick paste before adding and stirring all the time, whilst adding.
Season to taste with salt and black pepper.

Good served with boiled rice or pasta.

This recipe is based on one by Abbe.

Could, obviously, do the same with strips of beef.

JERK CHICKEN WITH DIP - Serves 4

1 Syn, for the whole recipe (with the dip), if using the bread as part HEX's

900g weight of skinless chicken drumsticks
100g breadcrumbs
2 tbsp. Jamaican Jerk seasoning

FOR THE DIP

200g FF Greek style yoghurt
1 tbsp. Jamaican Jerk seasoning
1 level tsp. runny honey - 1 Syn

Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Spray the drumsticks on all sides with Frylight.
Mix the breadcrumbs with 1 tsp. salt, then turn the drumsticks in the mixture until well coated.
Sprinkle with the Jerk seasoning, put them on a baking tray covered with baking parchment and cook in the oven for approx. 30 minutes or until thoroughly cooked through.
Mix the yoghurt, Jerk, honey and half a teaspoon of salt, together, for the dip.

Serve the drumsticks with the dip, fresh salad and, maybe, some boiled rice.

Make home-made breadcrumbs by blitzing the bread in a food processor and then laying it out evenly over a baking tray, loosely covered with a tea-towel, overnight. OR, if you want them a bit more urgently - blitz the bread, lay it out on a baking tray and dry out in a very low oven.

MIXED BEAN AND BEEF CHILLI - Serves 4

0.5 Syn per serving

1 onion, finely chopped
250g courgette, trimmed and diced
500g 5% fat extra lean minced beef
4 level tsp. Discovery Chipotle paste - 1 Syn. Use more, if you like it really spicy.
400g can chopped tomatoes
400g can mixed beans in a chilli sauce
1 red pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced

Spray a large, non-stick frying pan well with Frylight. Cook the onion and courgette gently, until softened. Cover to make this a quicker process.
Stir in the mince and cook until browned all over.
Stir in the chipotle paste, chopped tomatoes and mixed beans.
Add 200ml of cold water. Bring to the boil and add in the pepper. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
If the sauce needs thickening at all, just simmer/boil more rapidly, until the consistency is as you like it.

Lovely served in a jacket potato, with a dollop of half-fat soured cream on top, sprinkled with a little paprika. OR with grated HEX cheese on top.

Could add in extra veg - chopped celery, grated carrot, mushrooms, etc. and could use Quorn mince, as a veggie version. The chipotle paste adds a lovely smoky taste to this recipe.

Half-fat soured cream - 1 level tbsp. = 1 Syn.

HEALTHY CHICKEN CHILLI - Serves 4

0.5 Syn for the whole recipe

1 large onion, finely chopped
2cm piece of root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
700g skinless chicken breasts, chopped
100g red split lentils
Enough hot chicken stock to just cover the lentils
2 peppers, deseeded and finely chopped
2 x 400g cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 level tsp. Discovery Chipotle paste - 0.5 Syn. Use more, if you like things hot.

Spray a large, non-stick pan well with Frylight and cook the onion until softening.
Add the ginger and chicken and cook for about 5 minutes.
Stir in the tomatoes, lentils, peppers, beans, stock and chipotle paste. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the lentils and peppers are tender, all the liquid is absorbed and the chicken is thoroughly cooked through.

Lovely served with boiled rice.

This is a recipe by Red On-line magazine.

PORK, BEAN AND SWEET POTATO CHILLI - Serves 4

Syns - negligible

1 red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
500g extra lean pork mince
2 tsp. cumin, or to taste
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 level tsp. Discovery Chipotle paste - negligible. 2 level teaspoons = 0.5 Syn. Use more paste, if you like.
400g can mixed beans, drained and rinsed
250g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large dice

Spray a large, non-stick pan well with Frylight and fry the onion and red pepper, gently, until starting to soften. Quicker, if covered.
Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
Add the mince, stirring until well browned. Sprinkle in the cumin, oregano and chipotle paste and cook for another minute.
Tip in the beans and tomatoes.
Pour in 400ml of hot water, add the sweet potato chunks and push them well down into the mixture.
Bring to the boil, turn down to a simmer, cover the pan and cook for 30 minutes.
Remove the lid and continue to cook until the desired thickness is reached.

Lovely with brown basmati rice and HEX cheese grated over.

This recipe is based on one from the Women's Health magazine.

thx again Kathy - lots more lovely recipes to try - think the chicken and chorizo will be the first!xx

RED LENTIL, CARROT AND COCONUT SOUP - Serves 6

2.5 Syns per serving

250g red split lentils
4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
2 tbsp. medium curry powder
1 tsp. coriander
1.2 litres of vegetable stock
400ml Blue Dragon Light Coconut Milk - 14.5 Syns
A little lemon juice

Spray a large, non-stick pan well with Frylight. Gently fry the onion and garlic, until beginning to soften.
Add the thinly sliced carrots and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes.
Stir in the coriander and curry powder. Cook for one minute.
Add the lentils and vegetable stock.
Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and cook, covered, over a medium heat for 20 minutes or until the carrots are cooked.
Add the coconut milk and cook for a further 5 minutes.
Blitz the soup in a liquidiser/processor and season to taste, adding a little lemon juice, if liked.

This recipe is by Annabelle Randles. She does, however, use oil in her recipe, which I have substituted Frylight for.

Back