Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

Right - I've got to do a bit of cheating with this one, I'm afraid because, together, it exceeds the 10 ingredient limit for my thread but, it was too tasty not to include! Of course, the excuse is, you can easily use the sauce with something other than the meatballs too! :D

MEATBALLS IN A CHIPOTLE TOMATO SAUCE - Serves 4

Meatballs - Free, if using the bread as part HEX's

500g extra lean minced beef - you can also used minced pork for this, as long as it is 5% fat or less (lovely and moist)
70g fresh breadcrumbs
1 bunch fresh coriander (leaves only, reserve the stems) - finely chopped
1 tsp. smoked paprika
Half an onion, finely chopped
1 egg

Place all the meatball ingredients together in a bowl, with a pinch of salt, and combine.
Shape into small meatballs and place in a cold, large, non-stick pan, sprayed with Frylight.
Gently heat the meatballs until they begin to sizzle. Brown on all sides and remove from the pan and set aside. Cover with foil whilst making the, ahem, sauce!

This is a recipe by Abbe.

Last edited:
THE CHIPOTLE TOMATO SAUCE! - Serves 4

1 Syn per serving, unless using the milk as part HEX's

50g smoked bacon, chopped and all visible fat removed
1 onion, finely chopped
Half a yellow pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
Coriander stems, finely chopped
500ml passata
100ml ss milk - either taken from the HEX's or 2.5 Syns
1 level tbsp. chipotle paste - 1.5 Syns

Put the bacon in the pan and cook until slightly golden.
Add the onion and pepper and gently heat until the onion softens. Cover with the lid as this will speed the softening process up.
Stir in the garlic and coriander stems and cook for 1 minute.
Pour in the passata and milk and add the chipotle paste. Stir it together well, cover with a lid and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes.
Add the meatballs to the sauce, replace the lid and cook for another 10 minutes, or until the meatballs are thoroughly cooked through.

Lovely served with rice, especially with HEX cheese grated over!

If, like us, you're not mad on too much spice, lower the amount of chipotle paste used.

Last edited:
TOMATO, CHICKPEA AND HARISSA SOUP - Serves 4

1.5 - 2 Syns per serving

1 tbsp. olive oil - 6 Syns
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed or thinly sliced
500g cherry or baby plum tomatoes - the recipe says to leave whole but they retain their heat so much, it may be better to halve them
400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
400g can chopped tomatoes
2 level tsp. harissa paste - 1 Syn - use more or less, depending on personal taste
800ml chicken or vegetable stock
200g baby spinach leaves
5 sprigs of oregano, leaves picked and roughly chopped

In a large pan, sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil, over a medium heat, for about 10 minutes, until soft and translucent. Stir regularly to prevent burning.
Add the harissa and stir in.
Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, chopped tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer and cook for 15 minutes. It is not necessary to cover the pan.
Add the spinach and stir through the soup. It will wilt very quickly and decrease in volume so, even though there looks loads - don't panic!
When the spinach has wilted, remove from the heat, stir in the oregano, season to taste and serve. Take care - the tomatoes will be very hot.

Lovely with a tbsp. of FF natural yoghurt on each serving, to balance out the heat of the harissa.
Lovely, also, topped with fried chorizo pieces (6.5 Syns per 100g) and eaten with a HEX chunk of crusty bread.

This recipe is based on one from The Lazy Baker site.

Got the smothered Mediterranean Chicken cooking in the oven, only difference I did was to add chilli instead of oregano as not a fan. But it's cooking away and looking lovely. Just what I need after a day with my granddaughter simple cooking x

Really hope you enjoy it, Sian. Sounds good with the chilli actually. Let me know - I might have to edit that one! :D Can't believe you have a grandchild! You look much too young! :) xx

TOMATO AND CHICKPEA CURRY - Serves 2

3 Syns per serving

1 tsp. cumin
1 tbsp. coconut oil (or any other) - 6 Syns
2 tsp. coriander
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 inches of ginger, finely chopped
400g can chopped tomatoes
400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 pinch of chilli flakes
1 tsp. garam masala

Dry fry the cumin and coriander in a large pot or pan.
Add the coconut oil to the pot and then the onion. Saute for about 5 minutes or until the onion softens.
Add the garlic, ginger and some pepper. Stir together for one minute.
Pour in the tomatoes and chickpeas, along with the chilli and garam masala.
Cook gently for 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Season to taste.

Recipe by Madeleine Shaw.

Really hope you enjoy it, Sian. Sounds good with the chilli actually. Let me know - I might have to edit that one! :D Can't believe you have a grandchild! You look much too young! :) xx

Was a hit in the house. I used frozen chilli, the easier the cooking is the better for me lol. X

CREAMY PRAWN AND PEA PASTA - Serves 4

3.5 Syns for the whole recipe

300g dried wholewheat pasta shapes
150g frozen peas
Half tbsp. oil - 3 Syns
2 medium leeks, thoroughly washed and thinly sliced
1 clove of garlic, crushed
300g cooked king prawns
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
100g 2% fat Greek yoghurt - approx. 0.5 Syn

Cook the pasta according to pack instructions, adding the peas for the final 2 minutes of cooking.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan and gently cook the leeks for 10 minutes, then add the garlic and prawns and cook until the prawns are heated through.
Stir in the lemon zest and the yoghurt.
Drain the pasta, reserving a cupful of the cooking water.
Stir the pasta and peas into the leek mixture and add enough of the reserved water to make a smooth sauce.
Season well, adding enough lemon juice, to taste.
Serve immediately.

I sometimes serve this sprinkled with a HEX portion of freshly shaved Parmesan and a sprinkling of paprika, with a crunchy salad on the side.

You really do need the oil, instead of Frylight, to successfully cook the leeks. I have used 0% yoghurt in this recipe too but it doesn't quite add the same creaminess as the 2% and, for the sake of 0.5 Syn, what difference does it really make?! :D

Looks delish - must add to my "To Try" list :)

ROASTED BNS SOUP WITH PEPPER - Serves 4

1.5 Syns per serving

1 large BNS, cut in half, lengthways and seeds and stringy bits removed
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic
3 red peppers, deseeded and chopped
1 vegetable stock cube
1 tbsp. olive oil

Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Place the halved BNS in a roasting tin, putting a clove of garlic into each half. Scatter the chopped onion over the BNS.
Drizzle with the olive oil. Roast until soft, about 40-50 minutes. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn.
When soft, scoop the flesh out of the halved BNS.
Put everything into a large pan and dissolve the stock cube in 1 litre of boiling water, adding this to the pan. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for about one hour.
Blend in a food processor, adding water, if too thick. Put back onto the heat and simmer gently for a further one and a half hours.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Lovely with a swirl of reduced-fat crème fraiche and some crispy bacon pieces on top.

Although the cooking time is quite long, it serves to intensify the flavours and is definitely worth the wait!

Pg 158

Just had a free version of this

BNS & RED PEPPER SOUP
1 bns,
4 red peppers
handful of chopped onion
a little salt
4 chicken oxo.
1 litre boiling water.

Deseed & cut up bns & peppers, pour in stock boil till soft, Blitz.

I was surprised how lovely it tasted. Another good one Kathy

Last edited:
Speaking of which ..........................

BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND TOMATO SOUP - Serves 2

Syn Free

400 can chopped tomatoes
1 small BNS - peeled, deseeded and diced
200ml vegetable stock
Splash of Worcestershire Sauce

Place the tomatoes, stock, BNS and Worcester Sauce in a large pan, bring to a gentlw simmer and put the lid on. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the BNS is soft.
Blend thoroughly with either a stick blender or in a food processor.
Return to the pan, season to taste and re-heat.

Even though I was a little dubious about this soup at first, it was actually very tasty and, of course, extremely easy! I had it with a hunk of crusty HEX bread. As suggested in the original recipe, I wanted to stir a tbsp. of Mascarpone cheese through it but couldn't find the Syn value, no matter where I looked so, instead, I stirred a little Philadelphia Lightest through it and it was lovely. Philadelphia Lightest = 1 Syn per 25g.

This was another recipe by Abbe.

Last edited:
BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND SMOKED BACON SOUP - Serves 4

1.5 Syns per serving

1 medium BNS, approx. 750g
1 large onion, finely chopped
200g smoked bacon, all visible fat removed, chopped
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil - 6 Syns
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
1 litre hot chicken or veg stock
1 tbsp. fresh thyme, finely chopped
4 tbsp. FF Greek yoghurt

Peel the BNS, slice in half, remove the seeds and all the stringy bits. Chop into smallish chunks.
Grill the bacon until lightly crisp, then snip into pieces with some kitchen scissors.
Add the oil to a large, non-stick pan and fry the onion over a low heat until soft. If you cover with a lid it will speed things up.
Add the garlic, chilli (if using), thyme and BNS and cook for 3 minutes.
Pour in the hot stock and simmer until the BNS is soft.
Blend until smooth, return to the pan, add three quarters of the bacon and re-heat.
Serve in warmed bowls with a dollop of Greek yoghurt and the remaining bacon pieces. Taste before adding salt, because of the bacon.

I sometimes add a little paprika, instead of chilli.

This is a recipe based on one by Booths supermarket.

RED LENTIL SOUP - Serves 2

0.5 Syn per serving

100g dried red lentils
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
600ml hot vegetable stock
2 level tbsp. BGTY crème fraiche - 1 Syn
1 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped

Place the lentils, onion, carrot, garlic and stock in a pan, bring to the boil and simmer until the lentils are tender.
Transfer to a blender, along with the crème fraiche, parsley and seasoning, to taste. Blend until smooth.
Return to the pan to re-heat.

This is from the Diabetic web-site, Doreen, so thought you might be interested. :) xx

Back