Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

And so you should, Darren!! :)

Thank-you too, to the lovely person who gave me a Reputation Post, as well! Very kind. Seems they've been flying around everywhere - Linda (upndown), Darren and me! :) x

Sorry I got called and didn't finish/ask the question correctly was a little rude my apologies. Can't wait to try this and thank u x

Didn't think, for one minute, you were being rude, little lady! In fact, I thought it was quite funny!! :D It was as if Lamb Dhansak was all you could think of at the time! :)

Quite glad you requested it, actually. I'd been looking for one to convert for ages but they all seem to have really long ingredients lists - well, quite a few more than 10, anyway - so I didn't think I could really include them in this thread. Your request seemed so heartfelt/desperate :)D) that I thought, I'll just have to find a way around this problem and splitting the recipe in two was the only way I could do it!

Anyway, if you give it a go, I hope you enjoy it. :) xx

ROAST MASALA CHICKEN - Serves 4-6

Syn Free

1.75kg whole chicken, skinned
Half tsp. chilli powder
Half tsp. freshly ground black pepper

For the marinade:

4 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. peeled, finely chopped ginger
2 tbsp. finely chopped or crushed garlic
3 hot green chillies, finely chopped
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. garam masala

Mix all the marinade paste ingredients together.
Using a sharp knife, make two deep, diagonal cuts into each side of the chicken breast, going all the way down to the bone.
Make two deep slashes into the thighs and drumsticks, too.
Put the chicken, breast-side up, on a roasting tray lined with enough foil to cover the bird completely.
Pour the marinade paste over the chicken, rubbing it well into all the cuts. Set aside for 30 minutes.
Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Gas 6.
After the 30 minutes marinating time, sprinkle the chilli powder and black pepper over the chicken.
Wrap the chicken in the foil so it is evenly covered, with the tightly closed seam at the top.
Bake in the middle of the oven for 1 hour or until thoroughly cooked through and the juices are running clear.
Leave in a warm place to rest for 10-15 minutes, before carving.

Lovely served with SW baby roasties and lots of fresh veg.

This is a recipe by Madhur Jaffrey.

SAUSAGE AND BBQ BEANS FOR THE SLOW COOKER - Serves 4

Approx. 2.5 Syns per serving

8 SW sausages
100g diced chorizo - 6.5 Syns
4 onion, thinly sliced or finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
2 x 400g cans kidney beans, drained
4 level tbsp BBQ sauce - Reggae Reggae BBQ Sauce - 4 Syns
400g can chopped tomatoes

If you like, you can brown the sausages under the grill before adding to the slow cooker but I never bother.
Spray a large, non-stick frying pan with Frylight and cook the chorizo, onions and garlic together until the chorizo has released its oils and has crisped up.
Tip this mixture into the slow cooker.
Mix the drained kidney beans with the BBQ sauce and chopped tomatoes and stir into the slow cooker.
Place the sausages on top.
Season to taste with a little salt and some black pepper.
Cook on Low for 6-7 hours or on High for 3-4 hours.

SIMPLE SPINACH AND LENTIL CURRY - Serves 4

1.5 Syns per serving

150g yellow mung lentils - these can be bought on Ebay, Amazon and at Indian food-stores
A small thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and cut into thin strips
Three quarters of a teaspoon of turmeric powder
2 small tomatoes, pureed - could maybe take two plum tomatoes from a can for this
200g baby spinach leaves
1 level tbsp. butter - 6 Syns
1 tsp. cumin seeds
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and cut into 5 large pieces
1 rounded tsp. coriander powder
Half tsp. garam masala

Put the lentils, ginger, turmeric and 900ml of water into a pan, bring to the boil and then simmer over a moderate heat for 10 minutes.
Stir in the tomatoes and cook for 20 minutes more, then add the spinach and a little salt.
Cook for another 10 minutes or so, until the lentils have started to break down and the curry comes together. Give it a final stir.
Meanwhile, heat the butter in a small pan. Add the cumin seeds and garlic and leave the cumin seeds to redden and the garlic to start to brown.
Stir in the coriander powder and the garam masala, then pour the mixture into the pan of lentil mixture. Stir through, cook for 1 more minute and serve.

The original recipe says you can add 3 green chillies, left whole, at the beginning of cooking, along with the lentils, ginger, etc. The original suggested adding onion too, if required but she wanted to keep things simple. The original also said to use one and a half tbsp. butter (which I reduced to one) but that, of course, is up to you. Not sure whether Frylight would work but .... who knows?

Needless to say, I haven't tried this recipe and won't be doing either, as I'm a total spice wimp.

This is a slight tweak of a recipe by Anjum Anand.

WARM CHICKEN TIKKA SANDWICH - Serves 2

3 Syns per serving, if using bread as a HEX

2 small, skinless chicken breasts
1 tbsp. lemon juice
5g root ginger, (peeled weight), grated
1 fat clove of garlic, grated or crushed
65g FF Greek yoghurt
Half tsp. chilli powder
Three quarters tsp. ground cumin
1 tbsp. vegetable oil - 6 Syns
Half tsp. garam masala
1 rounded tsp. tomato puree

Pierce the chicken breasts all over and slash the thicker parts at 2cm intervals, with a sharp knife.
Marinate the chicken in a shallow dish with half each of the lemon juice, grated ginger and garlic, together with a pinch of salt. Leave for 20 minutes.
Blend together the rest of the ingredients with a pinch of salt, until smooth.
Pour the marinade over the chicken, turn to coat, cover, put in the fridge and marinate for, at least, one hour or overnight.
Return to room temperature before cooking.
Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Gas 6. Put a baking tray or some foil under an oven shelf.
Put the chicken directly onto the oven shelf and bake for 15 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from the oven and leave to rest on the baking tray or foil that collected the juices.

Lovely served on warmed bread, stuffed with salad leaves and a little Synned mayo.

You can add 1 tsp. of paprika to the marinade ingredients, if you like but this is optional, as it's just for colour.

This recipe is from Anjum Anand.

LASAGNE - Serves 4

Syn Free, if using cheese as HEX's

500g 5% extra lean minced beef
3 peppers, different colours, deseeded and finely chopped
100g mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 onion, finely chopped
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes with herbs
500g tub Quark
2 eggs, beaten
Dried lasagne sheets
160g reduced-fat mature Cheddar, grated

Spray a large, non-stick frying pan well with Frylight. Add all the vegetables and cook gently until softened. Quicker with a lid on.
Add the minced beef and cook until browned all over.
Add the tomatoes and cook for approx. 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Cook until the sauce has thickened.
Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Meanwhile, mix the Quark and eggs with some black pepper, using a fork, until smooth and well combined.
Spray a shallow, ovenproof dish with Frylight and spoon in half the minced beef mixture. Smooth it down and then add several sheets of lasagne, to cover the mince.
Mix half the grated cheese into the Quark mixture and spread half of the mixture over the lasagne layer.
Repeat, ending with a Quark layer. Sprinkle this layer of Quark with the remaining grated cheese.
Bake for about 30 minutes, until the top is golden and bubbling.

You could, of course, add in some chopped bacon to the mince and, maybe, some thinly sliced celery, if you like it. You could also add in some mustard to the sauce. 1 level tsp. = 0.5 Syn for all types.

This is lovely served with jacket potatoes and a side salad.

This is based on a recipe by Amy Jones' boyfriend, Garry.

Making this tonight, minus the mince as having a green week this week. Will try and upload a picture later :) x

Aw, thank-you so much, celtic-chick. I'm just glad some of them are a help to you. I really appreciate the rep post and your lovely comment! :) x

MUSHROOM & SPINACH FETTUCCINE - Serves 4

3 Syns per serving or Syn Free, if using the cream cheese as HEX's. 75g Philadelphia Light = 1 HEX

250g dried fettuccine
1 onion, thinly sliced
800g mushrooms, thinly sliced
250g baby spinach
250g frozen peas
200g extra-light cream cheese - 12 Syns
Freshly grated nutmeg (but I'm sure ground nutmeg would do)

Cook the fettuccine according to pack instructions. Drain, reserving 3 tbsp. of the cooking water.
Return the pasta and the reserved water to the pan and keep warm.
Meanwhile, spray a large, non-stick frying pan with Frylight and put over a medium-high heat.
Stir-fry the onion and garlic, until softened.
Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 5-7 minutes until most of the liquid evaporates.
Add the spinach and peas to the pan and stir over a low heat until warmed through.
Add the cream cheese, season with black pepper and a little nutmeg, then stir the sauce into the pasta.

This recipe is from the Make It Healthy magazine.

MUSHROOM & SPINACH FETTUCCINE - Serves 4

3 Syns per serving or Syn Free, if using the cream cheese as HEX's. 75g Philadelphia Light = 1 HEX

250g dried fettuccine
1 onion, thinly sliced
800g mushrooms, thinly sliced
250g baby spinach
250g frozen peas
200g extra-light cream cheese - 12 Syns
Freshly grated nutmeg (but I'm sure ground nutmeg would do)

Cook the fettuccine according to pack instructions. Drain, reserving 3 tbsp. of the cooking water.
Return the pasta and the reserved water to the pan and keep warm.
Meanwhile, spray a large, non-stick frying pan with Frylight and put over a medium-high heat.
Stir-fry the onion and garlic, until softened.
Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 5-7 minutes until most of the liquid evaporates.
Add the spinach and peas to the pan and stir over a low heat until warmed through.
Add the cream cheese, season with black pepper and a little nutmeg, then stir the sauce into the pasta.

This recipe is from the Make It Healthy magazine.

Perfect! I just popped online to look for spinach recipes- you must've read my mind Kathy!!

Well here it is! I loved it and so did everyone else in my house, i added spinach too! Thank you again Kathy :)

image-2003624850.jpg

Well here it is! I loved it and so did everyone else in my house, i added spinach too! Thank you again Kathy :)

View attachment 168161

Brilliant! A picture!! Thanks so much, tink and thank-you too for such a lovely Rep comment! Such a lovely surprise, when I clicked on to post a recipe! :) Really glad you all enjoyed it. Always a bit of a risk posting recipes that you may enjoy and recommending them to other people. :S x

ROASTED GARLIC ASPARAGUS CHICKEN SPAGHETTI - Serves 4

Less than 1 Syn per serving, if using the cheese as HEX's

10 spears of asparagus
3 cloves of garlic, diced or crushed
3 large, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, diced
2 cloves of garlic, diced or crushed
1 cup of cherry tomatoes, halved
Half an onion, thinly sliced
Half tbsp. olive oil - 3 Syns
Enough spaghetti for four servings
120g fresh Parmesan or mature Cheddar, grated or shaved
Fresh basil leaves, chopped

Pre-heat the oven to 220C/Gas 7.
Put the asparagus spears, the three cloves of diced or crushed garlic, olive oil and salt and pepper, into a food bag. Toss to coat.
Lay the asparagus onto a baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes or until fork-tender.
Remove from the oven, cut each spear into thirds and set aside.
Cook the spaghetti according to pack instructions. Time the end of the cooking to coincide with the end of the recipe. Drain well.
Spray a large, non-stick pan well with Frylight.
Pan-fry the cubed chicken until almost done, then add in the two cloves of crushed or diced garlic, the cherry tomatoes and the onion.
Cook for 3-4 minutes, then add in the roasted asparagus.
Season with salt and pepper.
Toss together the chicken mixture, cooked spaghetti and the cheese.
Check the seasoning and serve hot, topped with the chopped basil leaves.

Alter the amount of garlic to suit personal taste.

This is a tweaked version of a recipe by Christine Skari.

Morning Kathy. Can you tell me where I would get Nando Peri Peri sauce please.

Have a good day whatever you are doing.

Back