Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

Will have to go through the recipes again. Been away and now I'm full of cold. So not eating have no appetite. But can get some new recipes ready for when I'm better. X

SMOKY BEAN CHILLI - Serves 4

Approx. 0.5 Syn per serving

2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1 yellow pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
1 medium sweet potato (approx. 300g in weight), peeled and cut into small chunks
1 tsp. ground coriander
400g can chopped tomatoes
2 level tbsp. chipotle paste - 1.5 Syns
400g can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
400g can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained

Spray a large, non-stick pan well with Frylight and cook the onion for about 7 minutes, stirring.
Add the pepper and sweet potato and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring.
Sprinkle over the coriander and stir in for 30 seconds.
Add the chopped tomatoes, chipotle paste, beans and 500ml boiling water to the pan. Stir well to combine and season with salt and pepper.
Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes. If there is too much water at the end of the cooking time, boil rapidly, uncovered, until the sauce thickens up.

Lovely served with boiled rice or quinoa.

Tweaked from a recipe by the chef, Justine Pattison.

Will have to go through the recipes again. Been away and now I'm full of cold. So not eating have no appetite. But can get some new recipes ready for when I'm better. X

Oh no! Hope you feel better soon, Sian! Hope you also enjoyed your time away. Thought I hadn't 'seen' you around lately. :) xx

5-SPICE BRAISED BEEF IN THE SLOW COOKER - Serves 4

Approx. 2 Syns per serving

2 large red onions, thinly sliced
50g piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and finely grated
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tsp. dried chilli flakes, or to taste
800g piece of good quality braising steak, trimmed of all fat and cut into 5cm dice
2 tsp. Chinese 5-spice powder
250ml hot beef stock
4 tbsp. reduced-salt dark soy sauce
1 level tbsp. corn-flour - 3.5 Syns
2 level tbsp. runny honey - 5 Syns

Spray a large, non-stick frying pan well with Frylight and cook the onions until softened and lightly browned.
Add the ginger, garlic and chilli flakes, stir well and cook for 3 minutes, stirring to make sure the garlic doesn't burn.
Season the beef all over with pepper, then sprinkle over the 5-spice, mixing to coat evenly.
Add to the pan and fry, turning the beef regularly until lightly browned all over.
Transfer to the slow cooker.
Pour over the stock and stir in the soy sauce. Cover and cook on High for 4 hours, or until the beef is meltingly tender.
When the beef is cooked, mix the corn-flour to a thick paste with a little water and stir the honey into this.
Add gradually to the slow cooker, stirring all the time.
Cover the slow cooker and cook for 15 minutes, or until the sauce is glossy and has thickened slightly.

Lovely served with rice or boiled noodles and stir-fried veg.

This is another tweaked recipe by Justine Pattison.

Although she states braising steak, my butcher always recommends the cheaper cut of stewing steak for the slow cooker. Something to do with the muscle structure coping better with the slow cooking method.
I would never usually bother pre-cooking anything that goes into the slow cooker but have followed the recipe instructions for this one, in case the pre-cooking affects the flavour. Justine also uses olive oil to cook the ingredients in, as opposed to the Frylight, so change if you prefer.

SEAFOOD TAGINE - Serves 4

3 Syns for the whole recipe

1 onion, finely chopped
1 red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
2 level tbsp. harissa paste - 3 Syns
400g can chickpeas, drained
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
350g pack frozen seafood selection

Spray a large, non-stick pan, well with Frylight.
Cook the onion and red pepper until softened. This will be quicker with a lid on.
Stir in the garlic, harissa and chopped tomatoes and cook for about 10 minutes or until thickened.
Add the frozen seafood and cook through, for about 10 minutes or more.

Lovely served with couscous, especially with a little lemon and freshly chopped coriander stirred through.

BAKED EGGS WITH POTATOES, MUSHROOMS AND CHEESE - Serves 4

1.5 Syns per serving, if using the cheese as HEX's

3 baking size potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 tbsp. sunflower oil - 6 Syns
600g mushrooms, quartered
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tbsp. freshly chopped thyme
160g reduced-fat mature Cheddar cheese, grated
4 eggs

Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Boil the potatoes for 5 minutes, then drain well.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Cook the drained potato chunks, mushrooms and garlic for 5-8 minutes to soften the mushrooms and brown the edges of the potatoes.
Stir in half the thyme and cook for 1 minute more.
Spoon the potato mixture into a baking dish and sprinkle with the grated cheese and the remaining thyme.
Make holes in the mixture and break an egg into each.
Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the eggs have set and the cheese has melted.

Makes a tasty lunch.

This recipe is from the Good Food magazine.

77. POTATO CURRY WITH MUSHROOMS AND PEAS - Serves 2

Syn Free

1 small onion, cut into chunks
3 garlic cloves, peeled
5cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
250g chestnut mushrooms, halved
2 tsp curry powder (preferably Madras)
375g small new potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
Half a teaspoon of salt
150g frozen peas, thawed
125g fat free natural yoghurt - could use crème fraiche (don't forget to Syn) or Quark

Combine the onion, garlic, ginger and 3 tbsp. water in a blender or food processor to make a puree.
Spray a frying pan with Frylight and heat over a medium heat. Add the onion puree and cook for about 5 mins or until the liquid has evaporated.
Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for about 3 mins or until just tender.
Stir in the curry powder. Add the potatoes and salt to the pan and stir so that the potatoes are well coated with the mixture.
Add 250ml of water and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
Stir in the peas and cook for a further 2 minutes until heated through. Remove from the heat, stir in the yoghurt and serve immediately.

Just had this, but only had half the amount of mushrooms so added some chopped parsnip as well (as acquired from my parents garden earlier today). Really really nice. Enough for the same again tomorrow. Very mild, which suits me personally, but im sure those that do curry often would know about spicing it up. I don't need to what with being a spice wimp. :D

Ha ha. You and me both, Darren! :) Yes, suppose I should mention it being pretty mild - might edit it a bit. Mmm, lucky you, having fresh veg from the garden. So glad you enjoyed it, anyway. Thanks again, Darren, for keeping the index up to date and for keeping an eye on things. Really appreciate it.

POTATO CURRY WITH MUSHROOMS AND PEAS
got all the ingredients for this. starting slimming world again in class tommorrow so will make it for tea tommorrow night.

4 eggs

Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Cook the drained potato chunks, mushrooms and garlic for 5-8 minutes to soften the mushrooms and brown the edges of the potatoes.
Spoon the potato mixture into a baking dish and sprinkle with the grated cheese and the remaining thyme.

Makes a tasty lunch.

I love baked eggs! Always looking for new recipes for them.

4 eggs

Makes a tasty lunch.

Mmmm! These sound fab! Xx

CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE BALTI - Serves 2

Approx. 2 Syns per serving

1 medium onion, thinly sliced
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into 3cm chunks
1 yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into 3cm chunks
1 level tbsp cornflour - 3.5 Syns
150g FF natural yoghurt
1 tbsp medium or mild curry powder, or to taste
2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
227g can chopped tomatoes
3 heaped tbsp finely chopped coriander, plus extra to garnish

Spray a large, deep, non-stick frying pan well with Frylight and place over a medium heat.
Add the onion and cook, stirring regularly, until well softened. Quicker with a lid on.
Meanwhile, trim all visible fat from the chicken thighs and cut each piece into four pieces. Season to taste.
Add the chicken and peppers to the pan with the onion and cook for three minutes, turning occasionally.
Mix the cornflour to a thick paste with 2 tbsp of cold water. Gradually, stir in the yoghurt until thoroughly mixed.
Sprinkle the curry powder over the chicken and vegetables, add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
Tip the tomatoes into the pan, add the yoghurt mix, 150ml of water and the coriander, stirring constantly.
Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally until the chicken is tender and the sauce is thick.
Season to taste and garnish with the reserved coriander.

Lovely served with rice or SW wedges.

This is a recipe by Justine Pattison.

LENTIL AND SWEET POTATO CURRY - Serves 3

2 Syns per serving

1 tbsp. olive oil - 6 Syns
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1 tsp. mustard seeds
1 tbsp. medium curry powder, or more, to taste. My daughter prefers it using Madras powder but she's braver than me!
100g dried red or green lentils
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
500ml vegetable stock

Heat the oil in a large, non-stick pan, add the onion and cook until softened.
Add the spices and cook for 1 minute more, then stir in the lentils, sweet potatoes, stock and chopped tomatoes.
Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the lentils and sweet potato chunks are tender.
Add the chickpeas, then heat through.
Season to taste.

Good sprinkled with freshly chopped coriander and seasoned FF yoghurt.

The original recipe uses 2 tbsp. of oil but I have made it using just one but I did have to keep an eye on it, adding a splash of water to prevent sticking, when necessary. Because it should have used 2 tbsp. of oil, I thought it best not to push it, by using Frylight. It might work but I didn't want to chance it! :)

This was from the Good Food site. Really easy and extremely tasty!

Thanks very much, hannaali. That's really kind of you to say so. I hope some of the recipes can help you out. :) Good luck with your weight loss.

Kathy

LENTIL AND SWEET POTATO CURRY - Serves 3

2 Syns per serving

1 tbsp. olive oil - 6 Syns
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1 tsp. mustard seeds
1 tbsp. medium curry powder, or more, to taste. My daughter prefers it using Madras powder but she's braver than me!
100g dried red or green lentils
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
500ml vegetable stock

Heat the oil in a large, non-stick pan, add the onion and cook until softened.
Add the spices and cook for 1 minute more, then stir in the lentils, sweet potatoes, stock and chopped tomatoes.
Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the lentils and sweet potato chunks are tender.
Add the chickpeas, then heat through.
Season to taste.

Good sprinkled with freshly chopped coriander and seasoned FF yoghurt.

The original recipe uses 2 tbsp. of oil but I have made it using just one but I did have to keep an eye on it, adding a splash of water to prevent sticking, when necessary. Because it should have used 2 tbsp. of oil, I thought it best not to push it, by using Frylight. It might work but I didn't want to chance it! :)

This was from the Good Food site. Really easy and extremely tasty!

will deffo be trying this too.

MOROCCAN CHICKEN CASSEROLE - Serves 4

Approx. 2.5 Syns per serving

1 tbsp. rapeseed oil - 6 Syns (necessary for cooking the celery)
1 onion, finely chopped
2 sticks of celery, chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
3 level tbsp. harissa paste - 4.5 Syns
4 skinless chicken breasts, chopped
150ml chicken stock
Small bunch of coriander, chopped

Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion and celery for about 3 minutes.
Stir in the garlic, harissa paste and chicken and cook until the chicken has lost it's pinkness.
Pour in the stock, tomatoes and chickpeas and simmer for 10 minutes. Check the chicken is thoroughly cooked through.
Stir in the chopped coriander.

Good served with rice or couscous.

If you prefer it without the celery, you'd be able to omit the oil, reducing the Syns down to roughly 1 Syn per serving. If liked, you could also stir in a handful of Synned sultanas, to make it more authentic and garnish with some fresh mint leaves.

This is based on a recipe by Abbe Townsend.

Back