Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

MUSHROOM AND CHICKPEA RAGOUT - Serves 4

Syn Free

2 onions, finely sliced or chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
30g dried wild mushrooms
2 x 400g cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
Pinch of chilli flakes (to taste)
Handful of fresh, flatleaf parsley, chopped (optional)

Spray a non-stick pan well with Frylight and gently cook the onions until soft (best with a lid on and keep an eye on them. Stir occasionally).
Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
Meanwhile, put the dried mushrooms into a bowl, pour over 200ml boiling water, then leave for 10 minutes. Drain, reserving the liquid, then roughly chop.
Add the chickpeas to the pan, along with the mushrooms and soaking liquid.
Tip in the mushrooms and the chilli flakes, then season well.
Simmer for 30 minutes, scatter with the parsley, if using and serve.

This is based on a recipe from The Recipe Collection book.

I haven't tried this yet but it looks tasty so will be cooking it this week! :)

PORK AND CHORIZO MEATBALLS - Serves 4

2.5 Syns per serving

200g extra lean pork mince
150g fresh chorizo sausage, the meat extracted from the skin - approx. 10 Syns
1 small onion, finely chopped
A few sprigs of oregano, leaves removed

Put the minced pork, chorizo, oregano and a pinch of salt and pepper in a bowl and mix together with your hands (the chorizo takes a bit of work as it's much firmer than the mince).
Divide into 12 balls.
Pop them on a baking tray, cover with clingfilm and set aside in the fridge.
Spray a non-stick frying pan with Frylight and add the meatballs.
Fry gently over a low heat for 10 minutes, turning them over once.
Drain off any excess fat. Pour in the sauce (below) and cook for a further 15 minutes, then stir through the basil.

Thanks again Kathy - we had this with your sauce (both recipes on page 168 - if anyone fancies them) for our evening meal tonight - really tasty and can heartily recommend - only 2 of us so frozen the rest - another easy meal for another time - yay! xx

LAMB KOFTE TAGINE - Serves 4

1 Syn per serving, based on the red wine being 2 Syns per 50ml. Some is only 1.5 Syns per 50ml.

Half tsp. cumin seeds
Half tsp. fennel seeds
500g extra lean minced lamb
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
100ml red wine - 4 Syns
Half tsp. cinnamon
Half tsp. paprika

Crush the cumin and fennel seeds in a pestle and mortar.
Season the lamb with salt and pepper, then stir through the crushed seeds.
Roll into 20 even-sized balls.
Spray a large, non-stick frying pan well with Frylight and heat over a medium heat.
Fry the kofte (the meatballs) for 4 minutes or until browned all over. Remove from the pan and place onto some kitchen roll.
Pour the tomatoes into the pan, along with the wine, cinnamon and paprika. Season lightly, then simmer for 20 minutes or until the sauce thickens, adding 150ml of freshly boiled water after 10 minutes.
Return the kofte to the pan, coating them with the sauce. Cook for 5 minutes or until heated through.

Good served in bowls with FF natural yoghurt, pomegranate seeds and fresh coriander leaves over.

Based on a recipe from The Recipe Collection.

UPDATED EASY FIND RECIPE LINKS - CLICK HERE
Please do click the social media share and like buttons at the top of the web page.

GINGER PORK NOODLES - Serves 4

Just under 2 Syns per serving

1 tbsp. oil - 6 Syns
450g pork, all visible fat removed and cut into stir-fry strips
5cm piece of root ginger, peeled and shredded
2 red peppers, deseeded and thinly sliced
1 bunch of spring onions, trimmed and shredded
1 red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
1 level tsp. runny honey - 1 Syn
2 tsp. white wine vinegar
600g dried medium noodles
4 tbsp. dark, soy sauce

Heat a wok or large frying pan and add the oil.
Add the pork strips and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes, until well sealed and browned.
Add the ginger, peppers, spring onions and chilli and stir-fry for a further 30 seconds.
Mix the soy sauce with the honey and white wine vinegar and pour into the wok with the noodles.
Toss everything together until well combined and cook until the noodles are separated and piping hot.
Serve in warmed bowls.

I usually serve with a side of baby corn and mange tout.

This was awesome last night.

UPDATED EASY FIND RECIPE LINKS - CLICK HERE
Please do click the social media share and like buttons at the top of the web page.

Like the sound of the crispy Garlic chicken, think im going to give this a go. thank you :)

CHORIZO AND MUSHROOM CARBONARA - Serves 2

7.5 Syns per serving, if using the Parmesan as HEX's - obviously, for when you have Syns to spare! :)

100g dried pasta shapes
150g sliced or diced chorizo - 10 Syns
100g chestnut mushrooms - sliced
2 egg yolks
150ml half-fat creme fraiche - WW's and Yeo Valley Organic are both 5 Syns
60g Parmesan, grated
1-2 cloves of garlic, crushed

Cook the pasta according to pack instructions.
Over a medium heat, cook the chorizo in a frying pan, until it begins to release its oil, then add in the mushrooms and garlic.
Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring.
In a bowl, mix together the egg yolks and creme fraiche.
Drain the cooked pasta, reserving some of the cooking water.
Remove the frying pan from the heat and stir in the pasta, egg mixture and the Parmesan. The warmth of the pan and the pasta will cook the sauce, without curdling it. Season with black pepper.
Serve on warmed plates, immediately.

This is based on a recipe by Abbe Townsend.

You could add in some finely chopped onion too, if you like.

SPICY ROOT AND LENTIL SOUP - Serves 8

Syn Free

1 onion, finely chopped
1 small red chilli, deseeded and chopped very finely
700g sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into small chunks
4 carrots, peeled and chopped into small chunks
2 parsnips, peeled and chopped into small chunks
2 tbsp. curry powder, or to taste
100g red lentils, soaked in water for, at least, 30 minutes. Drained and rinsed.
1 litre of vegetable stock
A bunch of fresh coriander, chopped

Spray a large, non-stick pan well with Frylight and cook the onion, chilli and garlic, until softened. Quicker with a lid on.
Add the sweet potato chunks, along with the carrots and parsnips and cook for a further 10 minutes, adding a splash of water, if they start to stick.
Mix the curry powder into the stock and add to the pan, along with the lentils.
Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes, until everything is tender.
Stir in some of the chopped coriander, reserving some for garnish.
Blend until smooth and season to taste.
Serve with the chopped coriander sprinkled on top and a swirl of FF yoghurt as well, if liked.

This is based on a recipe by The Wallflower Girl.

some of these recipes look amazing. i have been looking for inspiration for new recipes so am going to sub this thread to have a proper read through and pick some dishes. i have my friend and her fella coming round for dinner on tuesday and my friend is trying to lose weight too so was thinking of finding something really delish and low syn that we can both enjoy ... :D

SHEPHERD'S PIE WITH GARLICKY KALE MASH - Serves 4

Approx. 1 Syn per serving, if using butter in the mash

1 onion, finely chopped
400g extra lean minced lamb
400g can chopped tomatoes
1 tsp. dried mixed herbs
400g can baked beans
800g floury potatoes, such as Maris Piper, cut into large pieces
10g butter - 3.5 Syns (optional)
2 large cloves of garlic, peeled
50g kale (or other green leafy veg), central stems removed, leaves shredded

Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Spray a large, non-stick pan well with Frylight and cook the onion, until beginning to soften.
Add the mince and continue to cook until browned all over. Drain off any liquid.
Add the tomatoes, herbs and 400ml of water. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the baked beans and stir in, then spoon into a 1.5 litre baking dish.
Meanwhile, put the potatoes and garlic into a large pan of cold, salted water, bring to the boil, then cook until the potatoes are really tender.
Remove the garlic and potatoes with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Cook the kale in the potato water until tender (3-4 minutes).
Mash the potato and garlic well. Add 10g butter and a splash of milk, season well, then stir through the kale.
Spoon the mash over the mince, creating peaks, which will crisp up and brown in the oven.
Bake until piping hot and golden brown on the top.

Chocolate Weetabix Muffins

2 weetabix
2 tbsp sweetner
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 level tsp cocoa powder (1 syn)
half a toffee muller light
1 tbsp nutella (4 syns)
1 banana

Preheat oven to 180 0c
Blend weetabix to a fine powder
Add rest of ingredients & blend until smooth divide mixture between 4/5 silicone holders
Bake for 25 mins
Allow to cool & add chopped banana
Top with nutella

You can substitute the nutella for choc philly (not too sure of the syn's for the philly).

I hav'nt made these myself. I heard people rave about them. I can't wait to try them.

NUMBERED INDEX ON PAGES 55 AND 98.

HASH BROWNS WITH CHEDDAR AND CHORIZO - Serves 4

Approx. 3 Syns per serving (but definitely worth it!), if using the cheese as part HEX's

800g Maris Piper or King Edward potatoes
1 and a half tbsp. olive oil - 9 Syns
1 small onion, diced
75g diced chorizo - approx. 4.5 Syns
50g mature Cheddar, grated
Small pack of parsley chopped
2 large eggs, lightly beaten

Peel the potatoes and cut them into large chunks. Put them into a pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes, until just cooked. Be careful not to overcook them, as they will absorb too much water for this recipe.
Meanwhile, heat half a tbsp. of the olive oil in a small pan. Add the onion, garlic and a pinch of salt, then cover and cook over a low heat until the onion is soft and starting to caramelise. If the onion starts to catch, add a splash of water.
Remove the onion and garlic, then fry the chorizo in the same pan, until the oils have run and the chorizo crisps up. Put into a bowl.
Drain the potatoes and allow to steam-dry. When they are cool enough to handle, chop them into 1cm dice and add to the chorizo in the bowl, along with the Cheddar, parsley, beaten eggs, onion and garlic. Season generously with black pepper.
Heat the remaining olive oil in a large, non-stick frying pan. Gently tip in the potato mixture and press down with the back of a large spoon.
Fry over a medium heat for about 15 minutes or until the bottom is golden brown. Tip the mixture onto a plate, then slide back into the frying pan, cooked side up.
Cook for another 15 minutes until golden and hot.

Lovely served with roasted tomatoes and mushrooms.

This recipe is a take on one from the Good Food mag. I have tried it with Frylight but it wasn't very successful.

Thx again Kathy - I made this last night - it was lovely and half went in the freezer so even better! A SW friendly ready meal for a no cook day xx

Chocolate Weetabix Muffins

2 weetabix
2 tbsp sweetner
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 level tsp cocoa powder (1 syn)
half a toffee muller light
1 tbsp nutella (4 syns)
1 banana

Preheat oven to 180 0c
Blend weetabix to a fine powder
Add rest of ingredients & blend until smooth divide mixture between 4/5 silicone holders
Bake for 25 mins
Allow to cool & add chopped banana
Top with nutella

You can substitute the nutella for choc philly (not too sure of the syn's for the philly).

I hav'nt made these myself. I heard people rave about them. I can't wait to try them.

Oh they sound good - just checked my SW book and 2 Weetabix are an HEB or 6 syns so still good 'value' on SW!

I know some will consider this recipe as food 'tweaking' but I think if I have 1 or 2 muffins a day - that'd be fine for me! x

Last edited:
This is one I tried last week, it's really nice and great for summer (when it finally comes around!)

Peach, tomato and basil salad.

Serves 6.

1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 pound peaches (about 3 medium), pitted, each cut into 8 wedges

1 pound tomatoes (about 3 medium), cored, sliced horizontally 1/4-inch thick

1/2 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves, torn or roughly chopped

Salt and pepper

[h=2]Preparation[/h]In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar and olive oil. Arrange peach wedges and tomato slices, alternating, on a platter and drizzle dressing on top. Scatter with basil. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.

Back