Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

SPICY CARROT SOUP - Serves 6

1 Syn per serving, if using oil, instead of Frylight

1 tbsp. sunflower oil - 6 Syns (or use Frylight)
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 large carrots, cut into chunks
500g floury potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1 tbsp. hot curry powder
1 litre vegetable stock

Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion and garlic, until softened.
Add all the remaining ingredients and season with black pepper.
Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the veg is tender.
Remove the pan from the heat, then blend until smooth.

Good served with chopped, fresh coriander sprinkled over and with a chunk of HEX crusty bread.

Thanks again, Darren and thanks also, ladies, for your additions. :) x

Weetabix & Chocolate Muffins and Salad not on your list?

Working my way through these recipies now,I was in need of some new inspiration,I have ordered my shopping and this week will be looking forward to sweet potato and courgette burgers, roasted squash and red onion pasta, and chicken butterbean and chirizo bake,really looking forward to trying these.

SPICED CHICKEN PILAF WITH MINT YOGHURT - Serves 2

3 Syns each, if using oil (works slightly better with the dry spice mix) OR Syn Free with Frylight

1 tbsp. olive oil - 6 Syns
1 onion, finely chopped
150g leftover chicken, skin and any fatty bits removed
2 tbsp. or to taste, Baharat or similar Moroccan spice mix (Indian spices, smoked paprika or cumin all work well with this too)
120g basmati rice
350ml chicken stock
3 spring onions
Smell handful of fresh mint
200g FF Greek yoghurt

Heat the oil in a large pan, then gently fry the onion until softened, turning the heat up a bit, at the end, to colour slightly.
Add the garlic and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
Chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces, then add to the pan with the Baharat or apices and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add the rice and stock, then season.
Simmer gently, without stirring, for 15 minutes or until the stock has been absorbed and the rice is tender but still has a little bite.
Finely slice the spring onions, then stir through the rice and cook gently for 2 minutes.
Finely chop the mint, then stir through the yoghurt, along with seasoning to taste.
Divide the pilaf between two, warmed plates and serve with the yoghurt, on the side.

This recipe is from the Recipe Collection.

POTATO DAUPHINOISE - Serves 4

Syn Free, if using cheese as HEX's

800g potatoes, peeled and sliced to a thickness of a £1 coin
Nutmeg, ground or fresh
300ml vegetable stock
200g Quark
2 eggs, whisked with a fork
120g mature Cheddar, grated

Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Boil the potatoes for about 8 minutes in salted water, drain, then run under the cold water to cool.
Mix the Quark, garlic, stock, eggs and half the cheese together.
Add nutmeg, to taste and salt and pepper to taste, too. Pour over the sliced potatoes and stir gently, to coat, taking care not to break the potatoes up.
Layer the potatoes in a shallow, ovenproof dish and pour the remainder of the sauce over the top.
Scatter with the remaining cheese and bake for 30 minutes or until bubbling and golden.

This recipe is by Amy Jones.

RUNNER BEAN AND BULGUR WHEAT PILAF - Serves 4

1 Syn per serving

1.5 tbsp. tomato puree
2 level tbsp. harissa paste - 3 Syns
500g runner beans, string removed and cut diagonally
400g can chopped tomatoes or 400g skinned, fresh tomatoes
Half tsp. golden caster sugar - 1 Syn
Half tsp. pepper flakes or cayenne pepper
200g coarse bulgur wheat
325ml chicken stock
1 tbsp. chopped, fresh, flat-leaf parsley

Spray a large, deep, non-stick pan well with Frylight and cook the onion until softened.
Add the puree and harissa paste, then cook for one minute, stirring.
Stir in the runner beans, tomatoes, sugar, a large pinch of salt and 100-120ml water. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Uncover the pan and stir in the pepper flakes or the cayenne pepper, bulgur wheat and the stock. Season with salt and black pepper.
Cover and cook over a low heat for 10-15 minutes, until all the moisture has been absorbed, making sure the bulgur wheat doesn't stick to the pan.
Turn off the heat and leave to stand for another 5-10 minutes.
Scatter with the chopped parsley, before serving.

Good served with a dollop of the Garlic Yoghurt, from the recipe below.

To de-string a runner bean, cut off the top, then gently pull the 'string' down and off the seamed side of the bean.

Last edited:
GARLIC YOGHURT (an accompaniment to the above recipe) - Serves 4

1.5 Syns per serving

200g FF Greek yoghurt
1 fat clove of garlic, crushed
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil - 6 Syns

Mix all the ingredients together and season to taste.

Serve with the pilaf.

These two recipes are from the Recipe Collection.

EASY PORK AND CHORIZO MEATBALLS - Serves 4

Approx. 1.5 Syns per serving

300g extra lean pork mince
100g finely diced chorizo - 6.5 Syns
Quarter of a medium onion, finely chopped - you'll use the rest for the sauce

The sauce - The rest of the onion, finely chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
500g passata
1 tbsp. dried oregano

Make the meatballs by putting the first three ingredients into a food processor and blitz until thoroughly mixed.
Form into approx. 28 small meatballs. Cover with clingfilm and chill for at least half an hour.
When the meatballs have chilled, fry them gently in a non-stick pan, until they are browned all over, whilst making the sauce.

To make the sauce, spray a non-stick pan with Frylight and gently fry the onion and garlic until softened.
Add the chilli and fry for a further minute.
Add the passata, then stir in the oregano.
Once the sauce is heated through, add the meatballs and cook gently for 20 minutes.
Whan ready, stir the meatballs and sauce through drained pasta and, if you can spare it, sprinkle with HEX grated cheese.

Pulled these from the freezer tonight - the other half of those I made previously - they froze well - lovely & tasty and great not to have to cook after a busy day! Thx Kathy xx

Glad they came in handy, Linda! Must have been very tiring for you, avoiding sampling all the chocolate items you've been handling today! :) Well done! xx

POTATO DAUPHINOISE - Serves 4 Syn Free, if using cheese as HEX's 800g potatoes, peeled and sliced to a thickness of a £1 coin 2 cloves of garlic, crushed Nutmeg, ground or fresh 300ml vegetable stock 200g Quark 2 eggs, whisked with a fork 120g mature Cheddar, grated Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6. Boil the potatoes for about 8 minutes in salted water, drain, then run under the cold water to cool. Mix the Quark, garlic, stock, eggs and half the cheese together. Add nutmeg, to taste and salt and pepper to taste, too. Pour over the sliced potatoes and stir gently, to coat, taking care not to break the potatoes up. Layer the potatoes in a shallow, ovenproof dish and pour the remainder of the sauce over the top. Scatter with the remaining cheese and bake for 30 minutes or until bubbling and golden. This recipe is by Amy Jones.

One to do for defiantly x

CHICKEN AND CHORIZO CASSEROLE - Serves 4

3 Syns per serving

185g diced chorizo - 12 Syns
4 large, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
2 red onions, finely chopped
3 red peppers, deseeded and finely chopped
3 large cloves of garlic, crushed
Small handful of finely chopped thyme leaves
400g tin butterbeans, drained and rinsed
400g tin chopped tomatoes
400ml hot chicken stock
Large bunch of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped

Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
Spray a large, non-stick pan or casserole dish well with Frylight. Brown the chicken all over, then remove to a plate.
Fry the chorizo in the pan/casserole dish, until it starts to release its oils and begins to crisp up a little. Set aside with the chicken.
Add the onions and peppers to the oils and gently fry until soft, stirring from time to time. This usually takes about 20 minutes.
Stir in the garlic and thyme and fry for 5 minutes.
Add the butter beans, tomatoes, stock, chicken and chorizo to the casserole, pushing the chicken pieces well down.
Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for an hour, stirring occasionally and adding a little water, if necessary.
Check the seasoning and stir the parsley through, prior to serving.

Oooh made this tonight and it was wonderful - hubby just had one word - delicious!! I only had a 100g of chorizo but it was still very tasty and I want to eat some choc tonight so just had 2 syns worth! Thanks again Kathy for posting yet another yummy recipe! xx

I tried the saucy beef stir fry tonight and it was lovely,the flavours in the meat were so nice I will definetly be making that again.

I am loving the sound of some of these recipes. I think it's time to get reacquainted with my kitchen :)

So glad you enjoyed the chicken and chorizo, Linda - and hubby too. That's one of our favourites. Well, anything with chorizo in it, really! :D xx

Glad you enjoyed the saucy beef stir-fry, Dianna. :) Quick and easy - that's what I like about it!

Kathy

Last edited:
SMOKY CHICKEN AND BEAN HOTPOT - Serves 4

2.5 Syns per serving

8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 2cm cubes
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tbsp. smoked paprika
150g diced chorizo - approx. 10 Syns
1 long, green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
400g can chopped tomatoes
400g can kidney beans in chilli sauce

Spray a large, non-stick pan well with Frylight and cook the chicken until browned all over. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Cook the chorizo until the oils run.
Lower the heat and add the onion to the pan and cook until softened. Quicker with the lid on.
Stir in the garlic, cumin and smoked paprika.
Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Cook for a few minutes, then add the green chilli and red pepper.
Stir in the tomatoes and kidney beans, then return the chicken to the pan. Season well.
Tip the mixture into a casserole dish, cover with a lid and cook for 20-25 minutes.

Good served with mash or SW wedges and lots of fresh veg.

This is a take on a recipe from the Recipe Collection.

Back