Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

LAMB BURGERS - Makes 6 Syn Free, if using the Feta and the breadcrumbs as part HEX's 1kg minced lamb (less than 5% fat) 3 finely chopped cloves of garlic 1 finely chopped red onion 2 tbsp. tomato puree 1 lightly beaten egg 50g fresh breadcrumbs 100g crumbled Feta cheese 1 tsp. ground cumin 1 tsp. coriander 2 tsp. oregano Mix all the ingredients together, season to taste and shape into 6 burger shapes. Chill for 30 minutes. Grill under a pre-heated, medium grill for about 8 minutes, turning every minute, or until thoroughly cooked through. Good served with a large salad and some tzatziki. Tzatziki - 1 level tbsp. = 1 Syn If you wanted to serve the burgers on wholemeal bread rolls (as your HEX), you could Syn the breadcrumbs, instead of using them as part HEX's. 50g fresh, wholemeal breadcrumbs = 5 Syns. If you liked, you could also add some finely chopped, black olives to the mixture. 25g black olives, without stones and in brine = 1.5 Syns. This recipe is by Jo Pratt. 45g Feta = 1 x HEX.
hi Kathy where did you purchase your 5% lamb I've tried everywhere x

Hi Kathy, just found out I'm 1cm dilated so it's definitely time to start trying out your curry recipes!!! ;) x

OMG!!! How exciting for you!! Yep, get some curry eaten - the hotter the better! :D The very best of luck to you, sweetpink and soon it'll be a big welcome to your lovely, little girl! How wonderful for you! Let us know how you get on.

Kathy xxx

hi Kathy where did you purchase your 5% lamb I've tried everywhere x

Sorry, Julianna. I should, maybe, have posted it as lamb, with all visible fat removed. I'll edit it straight away. Just re-checked on the on-line Syns and it says, as long as all the visible fat is removed, any cut of lamb is classed as Syn Free. What I actually do is buy the lamb from my local farm shop (cheaper and tastier than any supermarket) and get them to mince it up for me, making sure there is no visible fat first. Hope this helps. I have lost weight on the weeks I have eaten these burgers so they are ok to do! :) xx

Sorry, Julianna. I should, maybe, have posted it as lamb, with all visible fat removed. I'll edit it straight away. Just re-checked on the on-line Syns and it says, as long as all the visible fat is removed, any cut of lamb is classed as Syn Free. What I actually do is buy the lamb from my local farm shop (cheaper and tastier than any supermarket) and get them to mince it up for me, making sure there is no visible fat first. Hope this helps. I have lost weight on the weeks I have eaten these burgers so they are ok to do! :) xx
thankyou Kathy that's a big help :) xx

BEEF AND RED PEPPER GOULASH - Serves 4

Syn Free

1 large onion, finely chopped
1 large clove of garlic, crushed
500g stewing steak, all visible fat removed, cut into chunks
2 tbsp. paprika
2 tbsp. tomato puree
400g can crushed tomatoes
1 large red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
175g chestnut mushrooms, thickly sliced
500ml beef stock

Spray a large, non-stick pan well with Frylight and cook the onion until softening.
Add the garlic and cook for a further minute, stirring.
Add the meat and cook until browned all over.
Lower the heat and add the paprika, tomatoes, puree, red pepper and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, stirring.
Pour in the beef stock, bring to the boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer for 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
Remove the lid and continue to simmer until the liquid has reduced and the sauce is the desired thickness.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Lovely served with rice and garnished with a further sprinkling of paprika. Also good with a blob of FF Greek yoghurt on top.

This recipe is based on one by Abbe Townsend.

PRAWN AND PEPPER COURGETTE STIR-FRY - Serves 2

3 Syns per serving

2 courgettes
150g of prawns
1 grated thumb of ginger
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
2 limes
2 spring onions
1 tbsp. coconut oil - 6 Syns

Spiralize or julienne the courgettes into noodle shapes and leave to one side.
Heat a pan up to a medium heat with the oil. Chop up the spring onion and throw into the pan for a few minutes, until golden brown.
Finely slice the deseeded peppers and add them to the pan, stirring for 2 minutes, before adding the ginger, chilli and garlic.
Stir-fry for 5 minutes, then throw in the courgette and prawns. Cook for 3 minutes or until cooked through.
Serve immediately with fresh lime juice.

This recipe is by Madeleine Shaw.

CORIANDER CHICKEN CURRY - Serves 2

3 Syns per serving, if using oil instead of Frylight

4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 small onion, finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 inch of ginger, grated
250ml FF Greek yoghurt
Half tsp. turmeric powder
Half tsp. chilli powder
1 tsp. coriander powder
Half tsp. garam masala
15gm fresh coriander

Take the yoghurt out of the fridge.
Cube the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
Spray a medium sized, non-stick pan well with Frylight. Heat.
Add the onion, ginger and garlic and fry until the onions have softened. Having a lid on helps. Add a splash of water if the onion begins to stick.
Stir in all the powders, apart from the garam masala.
Add in the chicken pieces and seal on all sides.
Next, stir in the yoghurt, lower the heat to medium low and cook, stirring regularly, for about 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Finally, stir in the chopped coriander, garam masala and salt to taste.

Lovely served with boiled rice or Synned Naan bread.

This recipe is a take on one by Mallika Basu.

Hi im new so have been getting loads of ideas to try really can't wait to try some an get really cooking again :)

Welcome, hatch. Glad you've discovered Mini's! It's such a great group, with lots of help, fun, ideas and friendship. Hope you enjoy any recipes you try out and good luck with your weight loss. :welcome: :scale:

Kathy x

STICKY CHILLI CHICKEN - Serves 6

3 Syns per serving

6 skinless chicken thighs or breasts
3 tbsp. Discovery chipotle paste - 2.5 Syns
3 tsp. ground coriander
2 tbsp. olive oil - 12 Syns (sorry, it doesn't work anywhere near as well with Frylight)
Juice of 1 lime
2 onions, each cut into 8 wedges
6 cloves of garlic, bashed flat
1 mild red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 tbsp. muscovado sugar - 3 Syns
200 ml chicken stock

Heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Put the chicken into a plastic food bag with 2 tbsp. of the chipotle paste, the ground coriander, 1 tbsp. of the oil, a squeeze of lime juice and a grinding of black pepper.
Marinate for at least 30 minutes but, much better, overnight.
Tip into a roasting tin, scatter the onion over, drizzle with the remainder of the oil, then roast for 1 hour, until the chicken is turning golden.
After 30 minutes, tuck the garlic in around the chicken.
Lift the chicken and onions out of the tin and onto a warmed plate.
Turn the oven to Low and keep the chicken warm, uncovered.
Place the tin on the top of the hob, spoon off any excess fat, then add most of the chilli and fry for 2 mins until fragrant.
Stir in the sugar and remaining chipotle paste, then add the stock and bubble down for about 5 mins, until you have a sticky sauce.
Season with salt and pepper and another squeeze of lime juice.
To serve, spoon the sauce and garlic over and around the chicken and scatter with the remaining chilli.

Lovely served with rice salad.

Thanks again Kathy - we had this for dinner tonight - hubby's favourite one of your recipes - low in syns and lush - so suits me very well too! xx

LOW CARB RASPBERRY SOUFFLE WITH MOLTEN CHOCOLATE CENTRE - Serves 6

Approx. 1 Syn per serving

125g fresh raspberries - approx. 1 Syn (because of cooking)
5 tbsp. granulated sweetener - the kind that is like for like with sugar. I use Splenda.
4 egg whites
1 tsp. butter - 2 Syns
14g dark chocolate, chopped finely - approx. 3.5 Syns

Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Puree the raspberries and press through a fine sieve, to get all the seeds out.
Add 1 tbsp. sweetener and set aside.
Beat the egg whites until thickened and start sprinkling the remaining sweetener into them until it has all been added and the whites form stiff, glossy peaks.
Grease 6 small ramekin dishes with the butter.
Fold one third of the egg whites into the raspberry puree.
Once mixed, fold the raspberry puree into the remaining egg whites, folding gently together, until there are no streaks of pink left.
Gently scoop some of the mixture into the ramekin dishes until half full.
Divide the chopped chocolate between the ramekins and then fill each one to the top with the remaining soufflé mixture.
Place the ramekins onto a baking tray, with at least a few inches between each one, and put on the centre shelf in the oven.
Bake for 9 minutes, or until golden and puffed up. Serve immediately!

MEXICAN CHORI POLLO - Serves 6

Approx. 2.5 Syns per serving (over-Synned), if using the cheese as part HEX's

1 large onion, finely chopped
375g shredded, cooked chicken or turkey
226g chorizo, diced - 14.5 Syns
Half tsp. ground coriander
Half tsp. ground cumin
Half tsp. garlic powder - or use freshly crushed
Half tsp. chipotle powder
110g mature Cheddar, grated

Spray a medium, non-stick pan well with Frylight and cook the onion until softened. Adding a lid helps and you could also add a splash of water if the onion starts to stick.
Remove the onion from the pan and add the chorizo, cooking until all the lovely oils have been released and it has crisped up. Remove the chorizo from the pan.
Add the cooked meat to the pan, along with the coriander, cumin, garlic and chipotle powder. Season to taste. Heat for about 3-5 minutes.
Pre-heat the oven to 190C/Gas 5.
Spread the chicken out to a depth of about 1 inch over an ovenproof casserole dish base.
Spread the chorizo out evenly over the chicken. Then spread the onions over the chorizo layer.
Finally, sprinkle the grated cheese over the top, evenly.
Bake for about 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is turning golden.

Good served with a huge salad and a dollop of half-fat soured cream - 1 level tbsp. = 1 Syn.

This recipe is based on one from the I Breathe/I'm Hungry site. On the site it says to cook the onion in 2 tbsp. of butter but I've cooked it as above and it still turns out fine and is really tasty!

Welcome, hatch. Glad you've discovered Mini's! It's such a great group, with lots of help, fun, ideas and friendship. Hope you enjoy any recipes you try out and good luck with your weight loss. :welcome: :scale:

Kathy x

Thanks Kathy for the welcome. Im looking to start cooking healthy again an hopefully some weight loss along the way. Tried some of petes recipes up now looking over yours now :)

Yes, Pete's are good. Sorry mine are lacking in photos - as everyone else knows, I'm rubbish with technology!! :doh: Only just worked out how to add these little icons this week, with the help of Jules! Thanks, Jules! Going a bit mad with them now! :D Good luck with your SW journey, hatch.

Kathy x

CURRY LOAF

115g basmati rice,
baked beans drained
onion, peppers
3 eggs
curry and chilli powder as wanted.

Cook rice, beat eggs then add all ingredients and mix together. Put in a loaf tin aprayed with frylight and cook for about 1 hour at 180. Gas

The person I got this from didn`t have any Batchelors rice or curry dhal so tried this and said it was nice
Thanks for posting this, I made it for tea last night. It was lovely, and there's leftovers for lunch today!

GRILLED HONEYED LIME SALMON - Serves 4

3 Syns per serving

2 level tbsp. runny honey - 5 Syns
1 level tbsp. Dijon mustard - 1.5 Syns
The finely grated rind and juice of one lime
2 tbsp. dry white wine - 1 - 1.5 Syns
2 tsp. olive oil - 4 Syns
4 x 150g skinless salmon fillets

Make the marinade by mixing together the honey, mustard, lime zest, lime juice, wine and olive oil in a shallow dish. Stir through a little salt and some black pepper.
Add the salmon fillets and spoon the marinade over. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Pre-heat the grill to medium hot. Arrange the salmon, in the dish, under the grill. Baste from time to time. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until the salmon flakes easily with a fork.

Lovely and fresh. Serve with a colourful salad and new potatoes or with some lightly cooked veg.

This is an Ocado recipe.

QUICK CHILLI AND HONEY CHICKEN STIR-FRY - SERVES 2

3 Syns per serving

4 skinless chicken thighs
A sprinkle of chilli flakes, to taste
2 tsp. sesame oil - 4 Syns
Half tsp. chopped garlic
Half tsp. fresh red chilli, chopped
200g baby corn, chopped in half
200g mange tous
2 tbsp. reduced-salt soy sauce
2 level tsp. clear honey - 2 Syns
1 spring onion, sliced

Season the chicken with salt, pepper and the chilli flakes.
Pour the sesame oil into a pan and put on a high heat.
Add the chicken and brown all over, then lower the heat and cook for 10-15 minutes, adding a touch of water if it looks dry.
Remove from the pan and set aside.
Add the garlic, fresh chilli, chopped corn and mange tout and sauté until cooked, approx. 5 minutes.
Return the chicken to the pan and add the soy sauce, honey and spring onion. Stir well to coat the chicken in the sweet and chilli flavours.
Check the seasoning and serve with rice or sautéed Chinese greens.

This is a recipe by Angela Hartnett.

CREAMY SALMON AND CHIVE PASTA - Serves 2

Syn Free

120g spaghetti
2 salmon fillets
Juice and zest of half a lemon
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
4 tbsp. fresh chives, chopped
4 tbsp. FF Greek yoghurt
8 asparagus spears, sliced lengthways

Grill the salmon for around 12 minutes.
Add the spaghetti to boiling water and cook for the same amount of time as the salmon. Add the asparagus spears a couple of minutes before the spaghetti is cooked.
Drain the spaghetti and asparagus and put back into the pan. Flake the salmon into it.
Add the rest of the ingredients, stir and serve immediately.

This recipe is from the hungryhealthyhappy site.

Back