Delicious meals with minimum ingredients.

I use the website all the time!
I take meat out of the freezer then wonder what to do with it, so its fab that you can browse all recipes for different key ingredients :)

Thank You, its nice to get some feedback. It may even be worth looking at making it a stand alone site, dependent on thinking up some other content. Time will tell.

I use it as well! I think it's an excellent resource - thank you!

You are SO efficient, Darren!! I think quite a few people do probably use it (me included, when I'm planning my weekly meals - like I've just done, ready for shopping tomorrow) and Cavegirl is brilliant at pointing people in the right direction, including adding the link. The only thing I do wonder about is whether people are noticing the wording attached to my signature. The only reason I wonder is that, I think it was last week, someone had asked where the index was in query right under a post I had just done! Once again, Cavegirl came to the rescue :superwoman: and posted the link! Not sure how people would notice it more though. :confused: Just a thought! :)

Glad things are ok with you, Darren and, thanks again. xx

I use the site too!

I think the issue is a lot of people use minimins from their phones and can't see signatures! I know you can add the link into every post you post, don't ask me how to do that though... I'm useless! Cavegirl may be able to help? x

I use the site too!

I think the issue is a lot of people use minimins from their phones and can't see signatures! I know you can add the link into every post you post, don't ask me how to do that though... I'm useless! Cavegirl may be able to help? x

I have heard that about phone access not being able to see the signatures before. Its easy enough to add a link to the post but rather a pain to do each and every time. Clearly its ok for me as i don't post that often.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I have partly taken Cavegirls suggestion with the hit counter, but I have hidden it so that its not visible. Not sure why but i have a thing against them, partly to do with aspects i read while learning in the beginning i think.

Feeling the love now though. See, told you i was an attention seeker. :D

Ha ha! Well you deserve to be! :D Cheated tonight and had a SW tikka masala meal from Iceland! Actually, I thought it was very nice. :) Bit pricey though!

Thanks again, Darren! x

I have had the SW tikka masala before and I much prefer the fakeaway books recipe. It's a lot less watery and is just yum. The frozen meals are handy though x

CHORIZO PASTA BAKE - Serves 4

Under 2 Syns per serving, if using the Mozarella as HEX's

1 red onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 red peppers, deseeded and finely chopped
120g Sainsbury's diced chorizo - approx. 6.5 Syns
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 tsp. smoked paprika
Pinch of dried chilli flakes - optional and to taste
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
300g wholewheat penne pasta
200g reduced-fat Mozarella

Spray a large, non-stick pan well with Frylight and cook the onion and garlic until soft. Quicker with a lid on.
Add the peppers and chorizo and cook until the chorizo starts to crisp up.
Stir in the balsamic vinegar, paprika, tomatoes and the chilli flakes, if using.
Mix it together well and season with salt and black pepper, adding a sprinkle of sweetener, if you think you need it.
Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Pre-heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6. Cook the pasta, according to pack instructions, drain and then add to the pan of simmering sauce.
Tear the Mozarella into small pieces and stir half into the mixture.
Tip into a large, oven-proof dish and then dot the remaining chunks of Mozarella evenly over.
Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted.

Yummy served with a huge, crisp salad.

This recipe is based on one by Katie Bryson.

Chinese beef curry makes enough for 4 portions, Made in slow cooker.

800g stewing steak
1 large onion (chunks)
200g button mushrooms (in half)
1 large green pepper (chunked)
2 chicken stock cubes
2 pints water
1 tablespoon each of dark and light soy sauce
1 tsp each fresh, garlic and ginger
1 tbsp mild curry powder
1/2 tsp five spice.

fry off the onion, mushrooms and green pepper with the garlic and ginger.
Add all of the ingredients to a slow cooker and cook for at least 6 hours!

This is awesome, made it today, in the slow cooker while i was out all day. I even used some of the liquid to boil the rice in. The only issue is that it was so nice the portion control went way out of the window. :eek:

Evening Kathy - I bought some cherizo today lol now I just have to decide which recipe to choose lol x

I did the potato and gammon bake the other day again as well, really good, same problem, no portion control. I need a woman Kathy, these recipes really are no good for a single bloke. :D

Erm, you could always try halving the portions, Darren!! :D Only joking! :) x

SMOKY BEEF PATTIES WITH COUSCOUS SALAD - Serves 4

1.5 Syns per serving

90g wholewheat couscous
500g 5% fat minced beef
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1.5 tsp. smoked paprika
2 medium sized courgettes, sliced thinly
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil - 6 Syns
4 tomatoes, cut into wedges
120g rocket or spinach

Put the couscous in a heatproof bowl. Pour over 150ml boiling water, cover and set aside for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine the mince, garlic, lemon zest and paprika in a large bowl and season with black pepper.
With damp hands, divide the mixture into 12 portions. Roll each portion into a ball, flattening it slightly to form a patty.
Heat the grill. Spray the patties and courgettes lightly with Frylight. Cook the patties for 2-3 minutes on each side or until cooked through, then remove from grill and keep warm.
Cook the courgette slices for 1 minute on each side or until slightly golden.
Pour the lemon juice and olive oil over the couscous and fluff the grains with a fork. Transfer to a salad bowl and toss lightly with the tomatoes and the salad leaves.
Serve the patties and courgette ribbons with the couscous salad, with FF Greek yoghurt and lemon wedges on the side.

This recipe is from the Healthy Food Guide magazine.

GAIL'S BUTTER BEAN PIE - Serves 6

Syn Free, if using the cheese as part HEX's

1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
400g can chopped tomatoes
Decent squirt of tomato puree, to taste
400g can butter beans
110g mature Cheddar cheese (reduced fat or not)
225g FF cottage cheese
1 large egg

Pre-heat the oven to180C/Gas 4.
Spray a large, non-stick pan with Frylight and gently sauté the onion and garlic, until the onion is beginning to soften. With a lid helps.
Add the chopped tomatoes and the tomato puree and simmer over a medium heat until the onion has softened and is cooked through.
Drain the butter beans and rinse, reserving the liquid, and add to the tomato mix. Season to taste with a little salt and some black pepper. Add a little of the reserved liquid if the mixture appears too dry.
Transfer to an ovenproof dish which can hold about a litre.
To prepare the topping: grate the cheese, place in a mixing bowl, add the cottage cheese and mix in the beaten egg.
Carefully spread the topping over the butter bean mixture, place in the oven and bake for about 30-40 minutes, until the topping is set and golden brown.

Serve with crusty HEX bread (rub a garlic clove over, for a hint of garlic bread) and a green vegetable or a colourful salad.

This recipe is based on a lady called Gail, who submitted it to the Vegetarian Society's site. If you did want a bit of meat, suppose you could add in some crispy bacon pieces! :) A little Synned mustard in the topping may also be tasty. Would also be good served alongside sausages.

Last edited:
SPICY CHICKPEA SOUP - Serves 4

Syn Free

100g dried chickpeas, soaked overnight, rinsed and drained
1 carrot, peeled and diced
1 stick of celery, sliced
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
2 tsp. garam masala
1 tsp. chilli powder
1 tsp. grated root ginger
825ml vegetable stock

Bring the chickpeas to the boil in plenty of unsalted water. Boil rapidly for 10 minutes. Drain.
Place in a non-stick pan with the vegetables and cook gently for a few minutes.
Stir in the spices and ginger and, lastly, add the stock. Season with salt and black pepper.
Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until the chickpeas are cooked and tender.
Either have the soup as it is or blend it (or some of it) to the desired consistency.

This recipe is from the Vegetarian Society.

CHICKEN CHILLI - Serves 4

0.5 Syn for the whole recipe

1 large onion, finely chopped
2cm piece of root ginger, finely chopped
700g skinless breast fillets, roughly chopped
400g can chopped tomatoes
100g red split lentils
2 red peppers, deseeded and finely chopped
2 x 400g cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 level tsp. chipotle paste - 0.5 Syn
Chicken stock

Spray a large pan with Frylight and cook the onion until softening.
Add the ginger and chicken and cook for about 5 minutes, until the chicken is browned on all sides.
Stir in the tomatoes, lentils, peppers, beans, stock to cover and the chipotle paste.
Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the lentils and peppers are tender and the chicken is cooked through, with no pink meat left.
Divide between warmed bowls.

Good served with rice and with chopped coriander sprinkled over.

This is a recipe from Red magazine.

Back