depo jag/TOTM gain (sorry if it's TMI)...

was wondering does depo cause much weight gain. i was thinking of asking my dr about it ...i have a hormone imbalance so was thinking of asking dr about depo injection

Depo got me in this mess in first place! If it wasn't for that injection then I wouldn't have put on 2st that started this slippery slope to obesity!

While obviously I'm not saying not to listen to lildanni, I have been on it while on WW and still losing (apart from this week :(). It's worth trying for three months since it affects people differently and not all people gain.

My nurse told me, after I'd been on it a while that it won't make you gain weight in itself, but can make it impossible tom lose, even when cutting the cals properly. This of course meant, and was exactly what happened, I would stay th same for weeks, go away, ahve a good weekend and put on a couple of punds. I then couldn't lose it again, and put it on the next time. This equated to 2 stone in 18 months. It was jsut the weight I would normally ahve gained, but without losing it imbetween. Coming off depo was the worst thing ever, ever, ever. My boobs were fit to burst, worse than after child birth for 15 months. I was moody, emotional and psychotic. I would say avoid. Thing is if you try and not like, you cant just stop. You have an injection in your body tht lasts months

My nurse told me, after I'd been on it a while that it won't make you gain weight in itself, but can make it impossible tom lose, even when cutting the cals properly. This of course meant, and was exactly what happened, I would stay th same for weeks, go away, ahve a good weekend and put on a couple of punds. I then couldn't lose it again, and put it on the next time. This equated to 2 stone in 18 months. It was jsut the weight I would normally ahve gained, but without losing it imbetween. Coming off depo was the worst thing ever, ever, ever. My boobs were fit to burst, worse than after child birth for 15 months. I was moody, emotional and psychotic. I would say avoid. Thing is if you try and not like, you cant just stop. You have an injection in your body tht lasts months

Similar here - I got ONE injection of it years ago as I thought it seemed a good contraceptive option - I gained weight and have found it incredibly hard to shift. Over the time since then I have had 2 babies aswell though so it's not solely attributed to Depo but the weight I gained on it and quickly was scary.

It also turned me MENTAL and it's also well documented that a return to full fertility after stopping it can take a long time - some women actually blame infertility on it but I'm not sure what's proven yet, if anything.

xx

It also turned me MENTAL and it's also well documented that a return to full fertility after stopping it can take a long time - some women actually blame infertility on it but I'm not sure what's proven yet, if anything.

I'm a bit worried about what you've said. :( When I asked the doctor she said it would take approximately 9 months after my last injection (so six months after the hormone wore off) before your fertility returns to normal. The pill is about 4-5months after stopping taking them.

At some point my partner and I will want to try for children which is why I specifically asked her. Is this the wrong information she's given me?? :cry:

I an only talk about my own experiences, but it took well over a year for periods to return and was probably nearer 18 months before they were anything like back to normal. That obviously doesn't mean I wasn't fertile before then. I know that there are forums where some women ahve had dreadful experiences after epo, including with fertility, but obviously no-one can know if down to depo. Certainly not something I want to mess with again!!

It took me 18 months to get my totms back and now they are irregular :(

On the plus side though, I had no bad effects on it (apArt from munching for Britain)

Seriously though, I was on the depo for 2 and a half years....even asked the nurse at my practise if it could have been wat made me put on weight and she said it could have been.

Everyone is different though so just coz it did it to me, it doesn't necessarily mean it will happen to everyone

I'm a bit worried about what you've said. :( When I asked the doctor she said it would take approximately 9 months after my last injection (so six months after the hormone wore off) before your fertility returns to normal. The pill is about 4-5months after stopping taking them.

At some point my partner and I will want to try for children which is why I specifically asked her. Is this the wrong information she's given me?? :cry:

She'll just be following what the pharmaceutical company who make Depo have said - everyone reacts to hormonal contraception differently. You could be the person whose fertility does return normally after 9 or so months but there are a lot of forums of women on the internet who have fairly messed up menstrual cycles, which they can only put down to Depo.

I don't want to worry you, please don't get upset. Have a research yourself about it maybe and if you change your mind then just don't get another injection of it and swap to something else. It does suit lots of women though aswell!

I fell pregnant RIGHT after stopping the pill - your body often goes into a "hyper fertile" type mode right after some women stop it, I'm guessing that's what happened to me! I was on a low progesterone one though - Mercilon I think it was called??

Ahhhh the joys of being a woman!! :mad:

xxx

I love my depo!!! I was crap at remembering to take the pill, I'm too squeemish to have the implant or the coil.

I've been losing weight and still having my depo, when I was on the pill I suffered with headaches, cramps during the break and awful skin, this has all cleared up on the depo.

I sometimes get some spotting, but usually no signs of a period at all... I LOVES IT!!! x

From experience and talking to people and reading etc I have read the average time for periods to come back is around the 18 month to two year Mark which is the longest of all contraceptives. Which I wud find very frustrating if I came off it and wanted a baby. That's one of the reasons I only had two injections. I'll never go back to it!

I'm glad i never got the depo, i had the implant and when i wanted a baby i got it took out and fell pregnant the next month. Now ive got the implant back in, some say they put weight on with it but i lost weght the first time i had it in (without trying) and im happy with my losses atm with it so i will defo be sticking with it.

Some people do, about 70% don't but the 30% who do experience periods they are prolonged and irregular. Another method I'll never go back to lol the mirena coil (hormone filled coil) was brilliant for me, except bad skin and a tiny bit of weight gain.
M3003

Last edited:
So how long does it take to return to fertility after getting the implant? May go with that option...

What do you guys suggest as the best method to go straight back to fertility? DBF doesn't want to rely on condoms alone so that's out...

I didn't have a period at all for the first year but inthe last 3 or four months i have had a regular period but very light and didnt last long. My doctor said the implant works after about 1-2 days and should be out of you system within the same time, like i said i got mine removed and i was pregnant the next month. She did also warn me you can fall pregnant quick after having it removed, but thats what i wanted to be pregnant lol. When i was on the pill it took me a year after i stopped it to fall pregnant with my last child.
There is a uk website about the implanon its got loads of info on.

i had the implant too for about a year but had to get it taken out as i was having my period for 3 weeks of every month,,i was totally drained from it,,got pregnant about a month or 2 after so it didnt affect me that way,,i now have the coil in and i love it,,still get my period bang on same time every month but no cramps:)

Urgh,

I was on the depo injection for 5 years, I was fat before having the depo and it was only after going on the depo that I originally joined Slimming World, I manage to lose 3 stone and then I maintained after moving to Ireland.

Since then I've gotten rid of the depo as the other half wasn't keen on the fact that I wasn't having the monthlies and he deemed it a tad un-natural. We had a chat and I came off it.

During those 5 years I've never had an issue with weight-gain. All the weight I had was pre-depo.

Not to mention the depo has also been found to help prevent cancer of the cervix, yes, people also find that it can take up to and around 18 months for your periods to fall back to normal. During this time they maybe erratic or non-existant. However, this is all due to the injection still being in your system.

Give it time. :)

But the depo was one of the best forms of contraceptive that I've taken.

Ive been using Depo for the last 3 years and not had a problem. My weight problem was in place before i had 1st injection. I used to have the implant. I fell pregnant about 18 months after having it removed. I also had a solid bleed for about 9 months with that. Never felt so tired or bloated in my life. Had all the symptoms of a normal period but without the relief.
However everybody is different. All contraceptives serve different needs. Speak to a GP for info :)

Back