Depression & Lighter Life

Discussion in 'Lighter Life Forum' started by humblebee, 11 October 2010 Social URL.

1. humblebee

humblebee New Member

Diet:
    Self controlled calorie counting!
    I've been turned down by Lighter Life because I've suffered from depression in the past, although I've been fine for a few years now. They told me that I'd never be eligible, but I'd really like to try Lighter Life. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get round this problem?:sigh:

MsJMC likes this.
  2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. cerealkiller

cerealkiller Full Member

Diet:
    LighterLife
    strange..I have suffered from depression in the past (not bipolar though) and I have recently been diagnosed with post natal depression. I am not taking any medicines, just counselling and have had no problems in joining LLT. You should speak to your doctor again.

4. Joiya

Joiya Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st12lb
    Current Weight:
    12st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st5lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    LighterLife Total
    There's someone in my group who suffers from depression (though I don't know anything more about her condition), and she was still allowed to join but I think had to get a letter signed by her doctor? It's not impossible.

5. MsJMC

MsJMC Strong women stay slim

Start Weight:
    17st3lb
    Current Weight:
    17st3lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    VLCD
    Ask them at LL if they have doctors they use to sign people , as mine did when I joined .

6. roundrachel

roundrachel Silver Member

Diet:
    Lighter Life
    I have suffered from depression since I was 17 in varying degrees. The Dr didn't see it as an issue for doing LL as losing weight and subsequent better approach to life was seen as a much better option. I'm not saying that being slim has made me the happiest person on the planet but it has certainly made a lot of things easier mentally.
    I'd argue that LL can help LL and should not be a reason not to do it. Maybe go and see another Dr for a second opinion?

MsJMC likes this.
  7. nutty me

nutty me onwards and downwards

Start Weight:
    18st0.0lb
    Current Weight:
    18st0.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    15st0.0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    low carb
    Hi, I suffer with depression and continue to take citalopram. It never came up as being a problem. I would ask what the reasoning behind it is.

Nutty

8. Spanglymum

Spanglymum Gold Member

Start Weight:
    107.27kg
    Current Weight:
    101.83kg
    Goal Weight:
    69.85kg
    Lost(%):
    5.4kg(5.07%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Hi I've had postnatal depression twice and now stay on a very low dose of fluoxetine as otherwise I get very anxious, and it wasn't a problem for me to join LL at all. Can you get a second opinion? FWIW I feel better on LL, doing something positive, for me, than I have done in years!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.