Dismiss Notice
Welcome to MiniMins! Be sure to check out our complete listing of diets on the front page including Slimming World, Exante, Weight Watchers, Cambridge Weight Plan, Herbalife, and hundreds more.

Depression & Lighter Life

Discussion in 'Lighter Life Forum' started by humblebee, 11 October 2010 Social URL.

1. humblebee

humblebee New Member

Diet:
    Self controlled calorie counting!
    I've been turned down by Lighter Life because I've suffered from depression in the past, although I've been fine for a few years now. They told me that I'd never be eligible, but I'd really like to try Lighter Life. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get round this problem?:sigh:

MsJMC likes this.
  2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. cerealkiller

cerealkiller Full Member

Diet:
    LighterLife
    strange..I have suffered from depression in the past (not bipolar though) and I have recently been diagnosed with post natal depression. I am not taking any medicines, just counselling and have had no problems in joining LLT. You should speak to your doctor again.

4. Joiya

Joiya Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st12lb
    Current Weight:
    12st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st5lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    LighterLife Total
    There's someone in my group who suffers from depression (though I don't know anything more about her condition), and she was still allowed to join but I think had to get a letter signed by her doctor? It's not impossible.

5. MsJMC

MsJMC Strong women stay slim

Start Weight:
    17st3lb
    Current Weight:
    17st3lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    VLCD
    Ask them at LL if they have doctors they use to sign people , as mine did when I joined .

6. roundrachel

roundrachel Silver Member

Diet:
    Lighter Life
    I have suffered from depression since I was 17 in varying degrees. The Dr didn't see it as an issue for doing LL as losing weight and subsequent better approach to life was seen as a much better option. I'm not saying that being slim has made me the happiest person on the planet but it has certainly made a lot of things easier mentally.
    I'd argue that LL can help LL and should not be a reason not to do it. Maybe go and see another Dr for a second opinion?

MsJMC likes this.
  7. nutty me

nutty me onwards and downwards

Start Weight:
    18st0.0lb
    Current Weight:
    18st0.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    15st0.0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    low carb
    Hi, I suffer with depression and continue to take citalopram. It never came up as being a problem. I would ask what the reasoning behind it is.

Nutty

8. Spanglymum

Spanglymum Gold Member

Start Weight:
    107.27kg
    Current Weight:
    101.83kg
    Goal Weight:
    69.85kg
    Lost(%):
    5.4kg(5.07%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Hi I've had postnatal depression twice and now stay on a very low dose of fluoxetine as otherwise I get very anxious, and it wasn't a problem for me to join LL at all. Can you get a second opinion? FWIW I feel better on LL, doing something positive, for me, than I have done in years!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.