Depression Support Thread... ?

What uni are you at and what are you reading - and yes I am a nosey cow
I went to Bath Uni and I read sociology and study of religions - rather work intensive but I did really enjoy it

Sounds like yours are quite intensive subjects too
I was advised not to do my chosen subjects but hey I finished and got a 2.1 and am happy with that

hope you will have a great week at uni :)

I'd be happy with a 2.1
I know I could get a first with the motivation, but the depression saps it dramatically at times.

Liam I was the same
I did uni from home and had two kids all my course work was marked at first level nothing under a 75 for three years but the exams let me down :):)

but I would not have entered the job market earning more for a first and didnt see the point in having a breakdown to get it :)

This is true I guess. I'd like to work for the foreign office. Might mean another degree (in a foreign language) if I wanted a position abroad but it would be fantastic.

at least you have something to work towards - many people are at uni to get their degree and uni should all be about that - but having a career in mind to work towards is brilliant

have a great week - and smile as it really does make you feel better even if it is difficult

I hope no-one minds me jumping in on this thread, but it struck a chord. I'm currently on citalopram also, but despite this I seem to have got myself into a depression rut over the last two weeks. I'm determined to pick myself up and restart the weightloss, but it is reassuring to know that I am not alone.

thank you

Nicki you would be surprised to know how many of us there are

if you have been on your meds for some time - go back to the doctors as your dose may need tweaking

its hard and it always seems harder at this time of year

(ps I must be something to do with living in the west country :):):) )

another one here who suffers, i am tired and lethargic 24/7 so it makes my exercise/weight loss (and life in general) very difficult. i can relate with the post about feeling like no matter what i do the scales won't go down, one part of me has assigned myself to being overweight for the rest of my life but there's another part that wants to feel attractive for once and is going to battle on anyway-i have lost some weight but when i look in the mirror i see no difference. to be honest, i don't think i ever will see a difference no matter how much i lose. it's tough and i feel for anyone else going through it.

the black dog metaphor rings quite true with me and it gives me some comfort to think of my personal struggles in the sense that it is something that can be kept at bay, when i learn how. Mental As Anything &gt Garáge &gt Black Dog lyrics

but anyway! sending positive wishes the way of everyone in this thread. x

hi colly_strings.. i always notice you about thanks to your rather attractive avatar! ;) you should be proud of yourself for your weightloss so far.. a few years ago i lost 4st & didn't notice a difference, if anything i thought i had gotten bigger, but everyone else noticed, you know? i guess it's just something we have to fight against. ): good luck x

hi colly_strings.. i always notice you about thanks to your rather attractive avatar! ;) you should be proud of yourself for your weightloss so far.. a few years ago i lost 4st & didn't notice a difference, if anything i thought i had gotten bigger, but everyone else noticed, you know? i guess it's just something we have to fight against. ): good luck x

hehe :) ronson is absolutely gorgeous, i'd much rather have his mug as an avatar than my own!! and thank you. i know what you mean, i've been the same, i don't think i'll ever be happy with myself. i'm very down on myself without realising, for example yesterday someone said to me "i like your boots, where did you get them?" and i replied without thinking "evans, my legs are so fat that's the only place i can buy them". i can't even take a style compliment! when i read up on atypical depression a while ago i realised it was me down to an absolute tee, especially with the fear/assumption of rejection! i was actually welling up reading it at the time because it was such a relief in a way to finally realise exactly what was wrong with me. thank you very much for the kind words sweets. x

I have had a bit of a low day.
Was going to go to the gym but didn't feel up to it.
I made an effort though and I did 10 minutes exercise in my uni room. With difficulty - it's too small for exercise really. Only 10 minutes, but I guess it is better than none.

Liam on days like that take yourself off for a walk around the uni grounds - exercise is really good - but like you said some days its so hard to do - I have today joined up at the local leisure centre - thought while I was doing well I could at least get to join up - two inductions next week :):) then the work will really begin

Some days are just like roller coasters arent they ? Hope you feel better tomorrow mate !

Liam usually we feel low and then either start to beat ourselves up over things - or we start to beat ourselves up over things and then feel low
then it becomes a vicious circle

because you didnt get to the gym it gave you time to think of all the negatives
but there must be many positives

• You ARE talking about it - that is good
  • You are also on a university course and completing the work
  • I assume you have a social life - if not work on that
  • now you complete the list of all the positives - add to it as you think of them - write them out on cards that you can keep with you and read them at least daily - remind yourself of all the positives
I have no doubt you can add things like - I am a good friend to
I am helpful to others on my course
etc etc

its really difficult to do - much much easier to give the advice than do it myself

I am sat at work doing something similar right now (its so quiet so far today)

H xx

Back