Depression

lindshster

Hi All,
This is not a positive thread

I have been diagnosed with clinical depression for almost 3 years. I have had long times off work. I am now at the stage I handle stuff reasonably. I am a teacher and to everyone on the outside I seem normal.
I have only been on plan since NYE
Being fat is part of me, and I am fighting it. My anti depressant is know to slow the metabolism and lead to weight gain. I drink heavily once a week for an escape and I am scared I cannot maintain a loss, or get to my interim target of 12st. Has anyone else been in a similar place? HL x

Hi,
I'm new to the board, and have little real knowledge about SW or your situation, but I wanted to say hello and reach out a hug xxx
I have absolutely loads to lose, but I really do believe that successful dieting is a mind game. You have to believe that you can, and eventually you will. Be it the long road or the direct route you really really can get there but you have to believe and for a while you might even have to pretend that you believe, until your brain catches up and you really do.
Be kind to yourself and goodluck x

Hi Cherry-pie
thank you, and good luck on your journey.
i am in such a pickle, and i am in this place where I dont think I deserve to be thin or happy. I am convinced that if I lose weight I will have masses of skin left, and that will be my pennance for being a bad person. It's just so hard x

We're all here for you.. We're all stronger than we know, we can achieve what we want to when we believe :) your mind will catch up eventually..

Just look after yourself and vent here whenever you need :) first step to a positive new you!

X

Hun can I just say being fat is not part of you. It does not define who you are as a person, it's simply just the situation you are in and that will change.

It's what's inside that makes you who you are.

I'm sure you've heard all the advice before from the experts about setting mini goals, having a good routine, keeping active etc, but these also work well in slimming world too. Why not focus on getting your body magic awards?!

I've worked with a lot of people who suffered from depression and have learnt that it's not always easy to get through it, but the important thing is to keep on with the positive routines and activity as it will happen eventually.

Good luck with the plan, and everything else, and remember you'll always have tonnes of support on here no matter what that problem is!

Being fat is part of me, and I am fighting it. My anti depressant is know to slow the metabolism and lead to weight gain. I drink heavily once a week for an escape and I am scared I cannot maintain a loss, or get to my interim target of 12st. Has anyone else been in a similar place? HL x

Hi Lindshster

I have been in a similar place. It is scary, very very scary at times, but you CAN do it. How long have you been on your antidepressant? Do you find it helps? Have you spoken to your doctor/CPN about the weight gain?

I know how hard it is, but DO try to knock the drink on the head. I used to do it, and guess what? The next morning the world I'd escaped from was still there, except I had a bad head as well and hated myself even more for drinking.

i am in this place where I dont think I deserve to be thin or happy. I am convinced that if I lose weight I will have masses of skin left, and that will be my pennance for being a bad person. It's just so hard x

You are NOT a bad person. And you DO deserve to be happy, but please don't make the link that thin automatically equals happy or vice-versa. And you WON'T have masses of skin left, because SW helps you slim in a slower, more controlled way.

This is not a positive thread
Yes it is. You are facing up to things and beginning to do something about one of the things that make you unhappy. If you stick with this journey this might well be the most positive thread you'll ever start :)

I agree with it being a positive thread. You have started to share with people the things that are making you depressed. It's a small step, but it's the baby steps that get us to where we want to be.

Have you spoken to your doctor about getting counselling? The anti-depressants are just a crutch to get you through the day, but you need to tackle the underlying problems. You need to work out what it is that is making you depressed. I know being overweight is one of them, but it's just a symptom of the real problem.

{{{{{{Lindshster}}}}}} just wanted to give you a big hug as my daughter also suffers from depression so I understand how debilitating it can be.

I have suffered from clinical depression since i was 15 (and i was slim until i was around 22) but it's only these last 3 years that have made a real difference. The last 6 months i feel like i am finally crawling out of a very dark tunnel. I too gained weight with ADs, but am now in a place where i have reduced my dose to the point where in a few months i will be able to stop them completely, this has meant my eating is much better as i finally feel like i am in control of my life at last. I didn't get to this point alone; i have an amazing GP, and saw 2 excellent psychologists who helped me deal with all my underlying issues, especially around food.

I'm not saying that my life now is perfect, or that i never have days where i eat until i'm stuffed and then continue shovelling the food in, or that i only ever eat good stuff......because those things are just not true. But when i have those days now i am in a place where the next day i can look at them and instead of feeling guilty and beating myself up, i can step back and say "Ok, that wasn't the best solution but it's done and i can't change it but today is a new day and i can start again."

It took a long time and a lot of work to get where i am, but i finally feel like i can handle life, being slim won't change how ifeel or who i am but maybe it'll make it easier to show others who i really am.

You can do this. It is possible. But you have to be prepared for the fact that it will be hard and some days you'll want to throw the towel in the really hard part is recognising when that happens, and the next day accepting that it happened and moving on.

Although it may feel like it you're not alone and even if you were, YOU are enough YOU can do anything you set your mind to. Feel free to PM me anytime you want to chat.

HUGS

Toni. xx

Thanks everyone, I am just overwhelmed.
I've been to the gym this morning, so thats three times this week, and I feel better for it.

I've been on the ADs since October 2008
HL x

Sounds like you're having a great day so far, and thats all we can do - manage one day at a time until those one days add up and we begin to see results.
Take care x

Aww babe we are here for u.
I suffer from depression and have been on them since 2000/01 I am over weight and have lots to lose and I understand where u are coming from. When we have bad days we want to hide and eat and drink. We are classed as emotional eaters. Iam doing sw for about the 4th time in 4 years and if I have a gain then it's like black clouds have come over me and I want to hide. Plus we tend to keep thinks to ourselves as we feel no one wants to hear our problems
Chin up

Hi,

I have clinical depression and OCD so konw what it feels like. A bad day is hell and all I want to do is sleep and hide in bed. Just taking little steps goes along way, even if it is just doing SW for a day 100% is a positive and a step forward.

Hi everyone,
In a weird way I am glad I am not on my own in this. It's been a good day today, with the gym, eaten 100% perfectly, just had a fillet of pouting with home made tomato and hidden veg sauce, baby potatoes and purple sprouting broccolli. It was lovely. Made a lovely lunch for tomorrow too, and got my tesco order done.
I've decided not to work today, (I am a teacher and got a pile of marking to do), but I just felt like I needed a day off.
Going to take the dog out in a bit.

How is everyone today?
I am ok, feel a bit blue, but after work I went to the gym, did my tesco shop, unpacked it made dinner (lamb and harissa burgers yum!) bathed and ready for bed when I have marked these essays
Going to try to do the gym every day this week

Glad u are feeling ok today. The exercise should boost your mood. I am thinking of starting zumba with some friends plus have a dog to walk etc

Back