Despairing!

Hi guys, I've been looking through this forum for a few days but have never actually said anything, have decided to say my hello with a rant!
I've been struggling with my weight for as long as a I can remember, I've been constantly trying to do something about it but it seems the more I try the harder it gets, I have completely lost my self belief, I find it so hard to believe I'm actually capable of losing this weight. I need to lose at least 6 stone but it feels impossible. I've tried everything but my motivation completely goes after a day or two and I just give up and binge, then feel completely pathetic. I got xenical from my doctor last week and a few days into it I've already had 2 binges. I feel completely useless and pathetic for not being able to gain control, I can barely even get through a few days of any diet so how am I going to stick to anything long enough to lose the weight??
Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom for me? Have any of you ever felt like this and gone on to change how you feel? If so how?!!
Sorry to moan, just need to get things off my chest and I think if anyone would understand it would be you guys.

Sarah xx

I hugely sympathise. I have lost the same stone or two over and over for the past 6 years and lost faith in myself completely. I have been doing this diet for 6 weeks and have been very good, but I still don't believe in myself, even though I know I am sticking to it. It's just easier to visualise myself giving up than managing to lose all the weight.

But I have managed to stick to it for 6 weeks so far. When I first started I thought I might manage a few days. My only tip is to take it a day at a time and don't be too hard on yourself. Finding something that works for you at the minute (which might not be what's worked in the past or what will work in a year), is important too. I don't feel tempted to cheat at the minute, so I am hoping I have changed my mindset a bit.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice Maynie, I think you're right about taking it one day at a time, I tend to get overwhelmed by thinking about how much I have to lose. Is just a case of finding something that works for me, although I know I need to get it in my head that there isn't going to be some magic solution! Well done for doing so well on your diet, fingers crossed this will be the one for you:)

Hey SarahFairy,
I started in jan with 6 stone to lose and thanks to the support on here I've managed to stick to my diet!

The most significant thing that's been pointed out to me is that 1 little slip or cheat does not mean you've failed! Just accept it and get right back on track straight away, then you'll get to where you want to be.

Heya Sarah!

I'd have to echo what everyone else has said, take it all one day at a time. I have tried and failed and then just not tried, many many times in the past and I really got myself into this mindset of "I'm fat, that's just what I'll always be". But I started the Low GI diet in January (after a short and unenjoyable go at Slim Fast where I learnt that meal replacement diets are just NOT for me), and it's fantastic. I also started going to the gym and AquaFit now with my sister who has just had her own weight loss success and it's all really working.

I know exactly what its like to not believe in yourself, but you know what, I think after a little while you actually will believe you can do it. If anyone had asked me at the very start of the year if by April I could drop 3st 6lbs I'd have laughed and made up a thousand excuses as to why I couldn't do it...but I've done it. It's not always been fun and I've had a few slip-ups, but I'm still doing it! As long as the weight keeps coming off, (I've only had one STS weigh-in and I cheated that week and was so mad at myself afterwards I keep reminding myself of that feeling), then I'm happy.

So my advice, even though I'm still a bit noob to the site, is...don't think about tomorrow. Start your day and only think about that day, you don't have to 'get through the week', you just have to deal with today. Tomorrow, you do it all again and then suddenly you have survived the week and hopefully you can get on those scales and see just how successful you were, or you can see that the next day you try a little harder.

There's a great "mini-goals" thread on this board, why not jump on it and set yourself one...I mean even if it is just to get one week down, you've got admit being able to say "I did it!" when you tick off that goal will help spur you on for the next.

Everyone here is so supportive and so friendly that you can rest assured you'll get loads of help along the way, whether its a 'well done' on your good weeks or a 'don't give up now' on the not-so-good weeks and you can be certain that each and every one of us is facing exactly the same and look forward to all reaching goal, after all, this time we mean it!

:D

Thanks Sugar Fiend and MayfairE, is really nice to know I'm not the only one that feels like this and there is hope! Well done to both of you on your weight loss, you're my inspiration! x

Hi Sarah Fairy,

I have lost 6st in the last 6 months with slimming world (still about 4st to go). I too have tried many diets in the past (without much success), but have managed to stick to Slimming World quite easily this time.

If you like cooking, this is definately the diet for you. I try to make at least one new recipe each week so I don't get bored.

Hope you find the right diet for you x

Back