Dia - Saying Goodbye To Excess Baggage.

Hi I am Dia,

I am 36 years old, 5'4 and weigh 18 stone 2.5 lbs / 254.5 Lbs. I plan for this to be the last time I ever type that.

I have always battled with my weight and have tried most diets from meal replacement to low carb to only eating between the hours of x and y and whilst I have always lost weight, at one point hitting my goal back in my 20's, here I am a decade on... pretty much back where I started.

In the last 10 years a lot has happened. A few main issues were being diagnosed with M.E and having chronic pain (fibro), Escaping an abusive relationship during which the weight piled on me (Drinking mainly to numb myself) and house moves/ general stress. Now I am living in a home I love with a partner who is supportive of me and I have dealt with the drinking as an emotional crutch, so now I figure it is time to get shot of the weight and make my outside match the person I feel on the inside.

I had my first weigh in on the 18th and my weight shocked me. I honestly had no clue I was that heavy. My housemate is joining me on this SW Journey as he has diabetes so I have support and my partner is also 100% with us.

I have found this first few days easier than I expected and I have not been hungry which surprised me. I am so used to being hungry all the time on "diets" and I like the fact rather than banning foods I get to "budget" Syns for them instead, means I can still have a glass of wine after a long day! I am hopeful that I will see at least some change when I get on the scales Monday - my "Goal" is a 3lb loss to bring me under the 18 stone mark.

I live right on the seafront so all of summer we have loads of holiday makers. I am tired of walking along sweating in leggings and a top, sweating walking up the hill to work as women in cute sundresses and shorts walk past me. Sick of feeling self conscious on the beach and wishing my swimsuit covered that bit more of me and would love to be able to walk into any shop, see a cute item and know they will have it to fit me. I want to look better and feel better both physically and mentally.

This is the start of my journey... I am in it for the long haul.

So here I am day 4 and I am feeling good. I work lates so didnt get to sleep till approx 5am and needed to be up at 11.30am which I was dreading but I felt surprisingly alert. I took a short walk in the sunshine and pottered around a local hall fair where I found a smart watch thingie that tracks steps etc for a few quid, bargin! I plan to try to slowly increase my excercise so hopefully it will help me keep track.
I feel like I have been eating loads and sometimes do wonder if I actually will loose any weight eating this much!

Another day almost over and I am on plan. 9 syns left so I think I shall have a gin and tonic or two when home :)
I have the day off tomorrow so going to spend time on the beach as it is meant to be really warm... can't wait till the day I can go out in my swimsuit and feel cute not collosal!
I have eaten a lot of fruit today. Oranges, bananas, passion fruit, qiwi. I had hard boiled eggs for lunch which I LOVE and a SW fish pie ready meal for dinner. Still need to fit in my healthy extras.... glass of milk and a hifi bar most likely!

hey disappeaing Di! Well done !! I too am on a long journey form 19 to 10 1/2 , having underestimated my weight by twostone, I have now lost three, but am essentially a bout a stone less than I orignally thought I was!!
8 1/2 stone to lose, so with 3 off, I am a third of the way there in only 11 weeks. My aim is to get to targt by next APril.

Like you I have lost and gained before, but previous max as 17, least I have ever weight is 8 1/2,

I find alot of fruit makes me really hungry, I focus on small portions of protein and fat, it means i am never hungry, but alos means i cant eat chips! I am not a big drinker so doing without alcohol is no biggie for me.

Wishing you luck - keep in touch

Hi Binks, I did that too, underestimated my weight. It sounds like you are doing so well and 3 stone is a massive achievement. Good on you!

I have been struggling a bit today, I am pescatarian so it means that quick easy allowed protines are not all that easy to find. I cant just go and grab some cooked chicken and take the skin off so easy snacks are something I struggle with. I am debating the idea of going back to eating meat whilst on SW for the flexibility but I am not sure .

Hi Binks, I did that too, underestimated my weight. It sounds like you are doing so well and 3 stone is a massive achievement. Good on you!

I have been struggling a bit today, I am pescatarian so it means that quick easy allowed protines are not all that easy to find. I cant just go and grab some cooked chicken and take the skin off so easy snacks are something I struggle with. I am debating the idea of going back to eating meat whilst on SW for the flexibility but I am not sure .

Noooooo!!!!! I’m a vegetarian and I’m doing it , so can you !!!
Eggs , Quorn balls , cheese slices , a cegggie sausage , Hartley’s veggie 10 cal jellies , a glass of homemade organic whey protein smoothie with cocoa powder and physillium husk thickener .... they are all for snack attack’s - 100g full fat cottage cheese with 5 olives , or half a packet of Quorn turkey slices

Common girl, we can do it without eating meat !!

Hi Binks, thanks! I think yesterday was just a bad day. If I am totally honest I think I have been mentally self sabotaging. I have a fair idea why, my housemate who is diabetic only lost 1/2 lb last week whilst I lost 5.5 and he was gutted. I really want him to do well this week and somehow well in my brain has twisted into -better than me-.

I have it in my head I have not lost this week, maybe because I did so well last week but I have decided that regardless of the result, loose, gain or stay the same I am getting my head back in the game.

Is it your weigh day today Di? I really hope you do well.

Do you think youre retaining fluid in the hot weather? My feet are swollen.

Not good. Ive stuck to my diet, but my scales weigh me different every time. Not just a pound or two, but up to three stone different. God knows what I weigh. I know I shouldnt be ruled by the scales but...

Im sure, in the olden days, there were scales in supermarkets and chemists. I’ve been trying to find some, but can’t find any.

Not good. Ive stuck to my diet, but my scales weigh me different every time. Not just a pound or two, but up to three stone different. God knows what I weigh. I know I shouldnt be ruled by the scales but...

Im sure, in the olden days, there were scales in supermarkets and chemists. I’ve been trying to find some, but can’t find any.

Darn that's a definite scale malfunction!

Do you have a Boots the chemist near you? Most of them seem to have scales.

Keep ongoing. This weather is playing hell with water weight

Boots!! Great idea. I looked in all the supermarkets, but didn’t even think of boots. Thank you 😀

So weigh in was yesterday and I was dreading it. I started my TOTM a few days ago (though with me it's as and when due to my implant) and I have been feeling like a giant bloated spotty 'orrible overemotional thing.

I felt like I had put my entire half stone loss back on. I did gain but it was 3lbs which I can cope with, I know the reason why and hopefully I will shed it next week plus a little more.

Back