Diary of a carb addict

Well 1.5lb off - I shouldn't complain buuuuut...... :) I was on the scales on Friday I think and I was 0.75lb less than I am today.....looks like I can't get away with my weekend bad behaviour....wishful thinking! The gutting thing is though that 2 weeks ago I was 10st & now I'm 10st0.75, not my finest hour! Still a loss is a loss & striving to get back under 9 next week :)

SO, going to carry on as usual but try try try to reduce the amount if syns I have. Also thinking of having a 2 day detox (from Zest magazine a while back) next Tuesday & Wednesday......I've tried it before and it was a good kick up the bottom for my body & metabolism I think. Then next week I will try the 'curb your cravings' diet, another one from Zest - best magazine ever!! :D

But you DID get away with your weekend bad behaviour - you lost 1.5lb which is really good! I know what you mean though about feeling gutted that you were lighter a few days before - that happened to me last week too, I thought 'what if' I hadn't been so naughty at the weekend?! I think you just have to get used to your weight going up and down, providing it's in a downward trend. Depriving yourself of 'synful' days as a treat might be counterproductive...?

Detoxes can be good if you don't do them too often, and choose a time when you don't have to go to work! I get what you mean about them giving your body/metabolism a kickstart. I do an apple one once or twice a year, usually making sure I've pigged out on wine and pizza BEFORE the detox, and it's during a holiday when I'm not planning on going out!:)

Just a quick one...outside work & should be on shift already! Food diary:

Wednesday

B: weetabix & milk (0.5HXA + 0.5HXB)
Sn: banana
L: tuna pasta salad & apple
Sn: small bowl of tomato & rice soup & 2 NAS marshmallows (0.5)
D: chilli con carne (with loads of veg) rice & quark. Chilli made with 1pc dark chocolate (2) & honey (2) followed by jelly (0.5) & berries
Drink: Czech beer (1)
Sn: alpen light (0.5HXB)

Syns = 6

I cycled to & from work = 25min and as I couldn't make Zumba (boo) I did more of my C25K, another 30mins walk/run

Good effort, feeling smug

fit4hols said:
But you DID get away with your weekend bad behaviour - you lost 1.5lb which is really good! I know what you mean though about feeling gutted that you were lighter a few days before - that happened to me last week too, I thought 'what if' I hadn't been so naughty at the weekend?! I think you just have to get used to your weight going up and down, providing it's in a downward trend. Depriving yourself of 'synful' days as a treat might be counterproductive...?

Detoxes can be good if you don't do them too often, and choose a time when you don't have to go to work! I get what you mean about them giving your body/metabolism a kickstart. I do an apple one once or twice a year, usually making sure I've pigged out on wine and pizza BEFORE the detox, and it's during a holiday when I'm not planning on going out!:)

You're right I did get away with it :) However, I weighed myself this morning (I know I shouldn't but I can't help it) & was 9st12......that's 2.75lb less than yesterday!!! CRAZY :D Hope it carries over till next week!!

That's the thing with detoxes, loads of planning! The one I did a few months ago was a 4 juices a day (pick & choose from specific recipes) plus things like salad/hummus & crudités for lunch, bean salad/soup for dinner & nut/seed/fruit snacks. I did it at work last time as it's not too crazy & I still had plenty of energy....a little bit hungry though!! What's the apple detox? Is that a scary one? :d

fit4hols said:
Like the 'feeling smug' bit:D and your Mexican chilli - sounds like Chicken Mole Poblano! Yum!

Just looked up a recipe for this looks lovely, will have to add it to the menu!

Thursday

Today was an odd day....started work at 11:30 to take someone somewhere.....I knew we wouldn't get back till about 3pm, so to avoid the mass hunger over lunch I had a jacket potato brunch @ 10:30. I didn't think I'd manage it when I looked at the plate.....shouldn't have worried though!!!

B/L: jacket potato, beans, cheese (0.5HXA) & small side salad
Sn: 3 satsumas, apple, rice cake (1.5) & tblspn beans
Sn: tomato & rice soup
D: pork & veg stir fry with rice noodles with honey/soy/chilli sauce (2) followed by yummy berries
Sn: jelly (0.5) toast (HXB) with jam (1)

Syns = 5 :D

It was someones last day at work so cake was had by all in the afternoon - I abstained though, so am pleased. It's not my biggest weakness but still takes some resilience, I'm fortunate though in that people won't go on about it & try to sabotage my efforts.

On the exercise front I managed my usual 25min cycle plus 30 mins pilates....god I'm stiff, the stretch part showed me how tight my muscles are....must give my osteo a call, may be he can snap me back into shape :)

P.S. Blackberries are starting to come out.....going out with a tuppaware container on my next run

Berries and redcurrants, whitecurrants, blackcurrants - that's another thing I miss! I can get fresh strawberries earlier in the year, and can buy frozen blueberries (or hyper-expensive fresh ones!) and frozen raspberries but currants? No... Climate I guess.

Well done with the cake!

fit4hols said:
Berries and redcurrants, whitecurrants, blackcurrants - that's another thing I miss! I can get fresh strawberries earlier in the year, and can buy frozen blueberries (or hyper-expensive fresh ones!) and frozen raspberries but currants? No... Climate I guess.

Well done with the cake!

See now I'd miss my berries.....so tasty! Still frozen are good and I have a freezer full!!

Friday

Long ish day at work 9am to 10pm, so much planning involved!!

B: fruity couscous with yoghurt, milk (0.5HXA) with crusha (0.5)
Sn: satsumas & banana
L: small portion of free chilli & rice with large salad
Early D: pork & veg stir fry with rice noodles, honey/soy/chilli sauce (2)
Sn: 1 weetabix & milk (0.5HXB + 0.5HXA), jelly (0.5) with berries & alpen light (0.5HXB)
Dr: small red wine....mmmmmm :) (4.5)

Syns = 7.5

Cycled an extra 10 mins, total of 35 min plus, an hour of hilly strenuous walking pushing a wheelchair....hard work in today's heat!

I have the weekend off, WOO HOO! We have an afternoon birthday thing to go to tomorrow & then nothing on Sunday, cannot wait! We've been so so busy recently & it seems every weekend I'm off we're busy. Looking forward to a lazy Sunday of walking & a pint in the pub followed by a lovely dinner.....mmmmmm :D

Just to keep track syns so far (I'm aiming for 70) - 18.5

Saturday

Lunch out at a party - BBQ :D Fortunately we're driving so I will not be tempted to drink....pizza for dinner yum!

B: fruity couscous & yoghurt
Sn: banana & alpen light (0.5HXB)
L: half jacket pot, burger (1.5), couscous, beetroot, quorn sausage, corn, teeny amount of pesto pasta (1) & salad with lots of NAS pop!
Sn: apple, satsuma & free soup
D: pizza - warburton squarish wrap (8), chopped tomatoes, chicken, bacon, peppers, chilli topped with mozzarella (HXA) & side salad
Dr: Czech beer (1) half bottle cava (14.5)
Sn: alpen light (0.5HXB) yog with half sachet options (1) & berries

Syns = 27

Running total = 45.5 which is an avg of 11 per day....all good as I'm hoping this was my most synful day....but who knows what tomorrow will bring....loving a weekend off :)

Sunday

Well Sunday didn't bring a good day! Synful is one way of putting it, greed is another!!

B: banana & yoghurt
Sn: glass of milk (0.5HXA)
L: impromptu family BBQ uh oh!! 2 sausage (1), half burger, potatoes, couscous & salad, Czech beer (1), cava (6) and then strawberries & ice cream (12) followed by some very moorish biscotti (10?)

Oh dear, that's 30 just for lunch.....

Sn: apple strawberries & weetabix (0.5HXB) with milk (0.5HXA)
D: chicken & veggie nasi goreng, curly wurly (6) & Czech beer (1)

Syns = 37 ouchy....still had a really nice day!!! When I write it all down it really makes me see what a pig I am, no wonder I never lose weight for long, I'm not willing to give up the good stuff!!

Running total = 82.5

Tomorrow is detox prep and I'm aiming to keep syns to a minimum. I'm at work all day (7.30am-10pm) so I shouldn't be tempted too much. Then the 2 day detox starts. I won't be counting syns as I'm juicing & blending fruit and eating nuts, seeds & hummus. As the detox is good for me, all fresh fruit & veg & a kick to the system I'm not worrying about following the plan for those days....

Sounds lovely and fresh! You've definitely made me think about doing my apple detox soon too - maybe next week when I have some time off work. Hope it all goes well:) Yes, as that's all you're eating for a couple of days definitely no need to syn it;) - if you drink lots of water, you'll probably find you lose a couple of pounds or so. Good luck!

That's it, officially wimped out!! Well not really but I'm out for dinner on Thursday then away for a probably very boozy weekend. So I think to do the detox before this is a bit backward.....so I've 'pencilled' it in for next Monday/Tuesday to cleanse my system after the craziness & hopefully counteract the inevitable weight gain. Still going to be good as gold the next 3 days & see if I can limit the ice cream & biscotti damage :D

Monday

Not quite as good as gold :(

B: banana & fruity couscous
Sn: milk (HXA) & satsuma
L: chicken & couscous salad
Sn: apple & alpen light & cheeky half of a mini brownie (3) oops....
D: sausage (1) & veg with rice, yoghurt & berries
Sn: toast (0.5HXB) & chicken

Syns = 4, disappointed with that half a mini brownie, what a waste of 3 syns. Still you live you learn! :)

So today went well, forgot to say I managed run 1 from week 4 of the couch to 5km (c25k) plan. I didn't think it would be happen as I woke up 20 min before my alarm (4:50am) and thought, nah I've got a long day today, so I put my regular alarm on! However, I was optimistic & took my running gear to work just in case I felt like doing my run home as opposed to cycling back. So low & behold after 14hrs at work I ran (ish) home :) yay me! Just thought I'd share!! :D

So on todays menu we had....

B: homemade juice: pear, ginger, lemon & cucumber ....who knows how many syns and what I syn is it just the pear or pear & cucumber. I'm guessing I don't have to count the lemon/ginger?? Ah well it was very good & made me feel pure! Well the best info I can find is carrot juice & apple juice. I had a bit more than 142ml as valued, so I'm estimating 3-3.5 syns
Sn: carrot & a glass of milk (HXA)
L: bacon & quark sandwich (HXB) & a green salad
Sn: 2 plums
D: jacket potato topped with veg & kidney beans in a tomato sauce
Sn: berries & yoghurt
Plus 1 chunk of dark chocolate....need something sweet, enjoying it right now! (1.5)

Syns = 5

Running total = 91.5

Not the greatest but hey, I want the plan to work round me as opposed to changing my whole life & becoming miserable as a result. I'm a foodie & I love a drink, so I'm going for slow & steady wins the race & then I hope I can keep it off forever :)

The pear is the only think you'd have to syn. Vegetables don't have a syn value when you puree them. So homemade vegetable juices can be free, but bought ones are syns.

Well done you on that running! Did you have to run with a backpack as well? And I think you're right about taking it slowly, I enjoy my food and a drink too and think it's important to continue to live your life! Having said that, after way too many syns on Monday night, and then again too many syns on Tuesday I'm struggling a bit and must get back on before I put it all back on again... Balance!

Balance is the key...but that is the problem one slip up can put you completely off track & I find I just gain the same weight again & again. I don't put on masses but enough to annoy me :) Good luck getting back on track.

Back