Did exercise speed up your weight loss?

krazykik

I'm finishing week 2 of the Cruise Phase tomorrow and after a 4 month break have started exercising again as of yesterday, I plan on doing the couch to 5k programme again (restarted at week 4) and aswell as this I hope to do some resistance training and get going on the cross trainer in the gym- I enjoy exercise (when I'm in a routine) and love the buzz you get afterwards, anyway I'll stop rambling and get straight to the point- anyone who has exercised during the dukan (on top of the mandatory walks) do you think it helped speed up the loss??

I don't think so but YMMV. It gets you fitter and more toned though! First time round doing cruise I was losing steadily at c. 2lb a week, and just my normal reasonably active lifelstyle (cycling to work) and this time round I'm running about 15k per week on top the rate seems to be the same though I have not yet weighed this week.

I imagine it more a fitness thing. I know I am incredibly unfit, and although I downloaded the couch 5k pods, I feel a bit nervous and embarrased about running. Though I did actually buy some sports trousers today LOL.

Its definitely a cardiac fitness thing, your heart will be so much healthier and you will build muscle tone where you used to have flab. So stronger muscles do weigh something too.
Go for it! And don't be embarrassed - everyone has to start somewhere! If anyone that you know should see you, they will be impressed that you've started / are running. I felt embarrassed too but all the comments I get/got when someone spotted me are positive. If you start now you could aim to run the Race for life in the spring comfortably, and that will be a tangible achievement that everyone will admire!
I was/still think of myself as a completely non-sporty type, have never set foot in a Gym, but I can run 5k in under 30 mins now. I did it bit by bit and have kept up the 3X5k per week for about a year now, even though it was not going too well in the summer (injuries..). At least now I'm back to running the 5 or 6k without any walking. I'm not very ambitious so I'm still happy to stick to my 5k runs rather than progress to longer distances. Longer runs also take more time, and the 40 mins out of the house are all I can squeeze in at the moment...

and don't be embarrassed if you're not up for running... I started merely by obeying Dukan's suggestion to walk 20 mins each day. Now, I walk 35-40km per week, weather permitting and I'm pretty fast too! I'm convinced that it helps with the mental side of "dieting" (ie it helps put my thoughts in place, destresses me, and after such a great effort to get to work each morning, I'm far less likely to be tempted to overeat!).

Anja - I hadn't realised you'd restarted Dukan... :(

I am going to start with the walking mroe, I need to do this, and can use the couch podcast music to try and walk in time with the music and see how I go...then progress to the running.

Thanks guys.

What time of day do you all run, is it best around teatime. i now you're going to say its a personal thing, but am thinking in terms of safety too. When do you go.

Great decision on the walking - just getting out in the fresh (really fresh...) air and stomping along to a lively beat will make you feel so much better.

I go when I can fit it in. In terms of when *I* feel the best I'd say mornings, even before breakfast. Worst I feel in the evening / teatime. At the moment I run roughly:

Sat ~10am
Mon ~9am
Thu ~5pm

Always leave 1hr after eating.

As I said occasionally I need to squeeze it in really early, then it will be at 6.15am. Last did that about a fortnight ago when it was not so cold yet. And Evenings, if I miss the Thu 5pm slot then it will be more like 8pm.

One of the running books I read last year did broadly list 'best times', and I *think* it said your energy peaks mid-morning, but I could be completely wrong. In any case you may be different from average.

Now with autumn, unless you have the freedom to time it in the middle of the day you may well end up running in the dark. Wear bright clothing with reflective bits and stick with busier / lit areas. I stick with residential areas and have never felt unsafe. At one spot a street light had failed and it was really dark for about 10m, not being able to see where I was putting my feet was the scariest part really (worried about bumping into bins etc). Not been back that way in the dark :)

anj thanks for that, that helps. I think I will try to do the walking after breakfast but probably after i have taken dd to school. As for running we'll see if that pans out, my problem is first thing in the morning is when i am sorting school run and would have to either get up in the dark or just not get it done. I think I need to look at my weekly timetable and do it then. Lunch time sounds good but would struggle to leave an hour after eating.

Oh the problems we have LOL, so many things to do in the day. Once I start I'm sure it will work out

Ps - get your kids involved. Today I ran loops round the park - and the first loop/half-mile jogged together with DD(8) which was quite fun, and I'm sure she could have done more, I might enrol us in the next charity 1-mile fun run coming up somewhere... Then the kids played on the swings (with DH to supervise) while I went on to complete my 30mins...

LOL sounds good. Thats what i did tonight though. The sponsored zumba was a kids dance class organising it, and I along with a couple of parents joined in. Never done it beofre but I managed the full half hour. Very chuffed.

I will have to plan in to do a few songs off you tube to keep me gonig. LOL

I start my walk at 7.15am always... back pack on so that my arms are free, and Ipod charged with fun tunes! I walk in a well lit town so lights aren't a problem for me! I'm definitely better first thing in the morning. (My brain hasn't clicked in to suggest I do something else, rather, and I arrive at work buzzing, and full of energy for the day :)

This rainy period has been a real drag for me and I can really tell the difference with my energy levels at work when I don't manage to walk to work!

Walk home? Never in a million years! There are too many people dawdling, and I get far too stressed and exasperated with them, and the car drivers too!! (and don't get me started on cyclists, motorbikes etc on the pavement BEEPING at me when they come up behind me!!)

Lol :-D

Now I'm running again, the exercise is helping lots, however, I am hungrier in the day. It certainly helps with fat burning and increasing the metabolism. I'm running 3 times a week now, plus a very long walk (8 miles or so) once a week.

Exercise has certainly increased my losses. I was losing 1 or 2lbs whilst doing the prescribed walks. I also used to throw in a few unallowed treats. Then after a week of adding a glass (small I must add! :D) of wine I gained 2.5lbs. That did it, I vowed that I will not cheat (not that I haven't!:D) and I would increase exercise to see if it helps. I do Jillian Michaels and Charlene Johnsons DVDs and my losses have upped to 3s and 4s. I have lost 5.5lbs at some point! :) The DVDs are tough but short (20-30mins) and so worth it.

x

Back