Did you Know that .. Random facts and other useless knowledge.

Dykt .. the name 'wendy' was a made up, for peter pan

The actress who first played Wendy on the stage lived in the village where I used to live. She had a little house in her garden which some people say was actually from the stage set of the play, other people say it was a copy. Either way, this was the first "wendy house".

The name 'Paddy' for Irish men stems from so many of them being named after St Patrick, the Gaelic for which is Padraig (pronounced Porick).

Dykt .. the term ''scouser'' comes from a norweigian stew called ''lobscouse'' later shortened to scouse, a traditional dish made in / around liverpool.
it originates from the norweigan sailors who would eat a meat stew and the recipe was passed along to the dockers and other sailors in and around the area, were it became popular due to it being cheap to make..

Also, DYKT the word "limelight" that is used in theatre to refer to the performers on the stage originated because before electricity was available lime was burned in a lamp, which created a white light that was directed at the performers

Dykt .. if you get two straws, place one in a glass (with a drink in it ) and the other outside of the glass, and suck through both straws at the same time, you won't be able to drink anything ;)

Dykt .. if you get two straws, place one in a glass (with a drink in it ) and the other outside of the glass, and suck through both straws at the same time, you won't be able to drink anything ;)

If you get 30 straws and drink a pint through them........... you get drunk really really quickly! Student days!

DYKT unless food is mixed with salvia you can't taste it!

If you hold your nose and eat you can't taste food either.

Arctic-BNG said:
If you get 30 straws and drink a pint through them........... you get drunk really really quickly! Student days!

Especially if it is a pint of gin and tonic... University was free and the booze was cheap!

DYKT the term "cup of joe" originated because American soldiers - sometimes referred to as joes - were seen as big coffee drinkers.

Also Americano is italian for American, this is because in WW2 when the Americans were in europe Espresso was the in way to have coffee, the Americans thought it was too strong and diluted it with water, that's why an Americano coffee is espresso with water.

I LOVE this thread. I keep dazzling my niece with newly found facts lol

DYKT - our humble pound is the world's oldest currency still in use. .It originated in Anglo-Saxon England and £1 was equal to 1lb or 240 pieces of silver (hands up who else remembers 240d to the £1 :sigh:)

DYKT - originally, zebra crossings (initially rolled out at 1,000 locations in 1949) were blue & yellow.

Back