Diet Chef Diary - My journey to a 5 stone weight loss...

Phoenyx

Step away from the cake..
So, today was my first day and I thought I'd start a diet diary as I enjoy reading about others journey. Also was hoping it might keep me a little more accountable! It is going to be warts and all, so watch out!

Today was okay. First WI in a while, 14.2 :( I dropped a stone at the beginning of this year with calorie counting, but put 4lbs back on - it just took over my life, I was constantly thinking about food and trying to plan. I chose Diet Chef because I love the flexibility of calorie counting but need someone else to plan my meals!

Today's been fine so far, but the portion sizes seem TINY! (Shows what a guzzler I am normally). I'm tracking calories at the moment too because I'm not sure about the snacks etc.

B: DC Cafe Latte Milkshake (200)
S: Banana (70) Coffee with s/skimmed milk (20)
L: DC Ham and Sweetcorn Chowder (165)
1 slice wholemeal bread (90)
S: Coffee with milk (20), DC fruit and oat cookie (200)
D: Not sure yet - just going to choose...

So far... 745 cals. Have liked all the food, loved the cookie! And I never have time for breakfast so having a milkshake was perfect. Haven't drunk enough water - only 0.75 litres so far and was going to aim for 2.

I'll post again when I've sorted my tea.

Well done on getting through your first day! We have started very close together so will be able to spur each other on :)

With the tiny portions issue, maybe you could try putting them in a smaller bowl/plate to trick your mind?! Worth a shot! How are you finding the taste of the food? I absolutely love it, tastes better than any of my cooking haha!

Enjoy your tea, whatever you choose! :)

Portion sizes

I think the portions are small too, and agree it's cos I used to eat for about three people....! I was STARVING for most of week one. Now I zap a big bowl of carrots and green beans in the microwave, and pour most of the curries over this in the evening. So I end up with a heaped bowl of delish which makes me happier with how it looks, and feel fuller.
And when I think about it, I'm glad that my stomach is learning what a normal portion feels like, and that I am eating normal food. Better that than eating heaps of weird chemically fat reduced food, and not getting used to eating less! I think in this way, DC does teach you sustainable habits.

I have had tea - I chose the lentil dahl - its the only one I could get to, haven't finished unpacking the boxes yet!). It was delicious, really surprised! I thought the food would be nice but this was really good. Much nice than what I'd usually eat. I had it with carrots and broccoli, and half a pack of microwave quinoa, and feel full. Obviously I could eat more, but as you pointed out, Rachyroo, that's why we're here!

I don't think the size of the dinner is a problem as much as the size of the soup at lunchtime, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

So, today's food ends up as:
B: DC Cafe Latte Milkshake (200)
S: Banana (70) Coffee with s/skimmed milk (20)
L: DC Ham and Sweetcorn Chowder (165)
1 slice wholemeal bread (90)
S: Coffee with milk (20), DC fruit and oat cookie (200)
D: Tarka Dahl (273), half a pack of Food Drs instant quinoa (170), carrots & broccoli (50)
S: Horlicks light (110), raspberries (40), biscuits (100)

Total: 1438 cal. I'm supposed to be on 1500 so that's fine. I may move some of my evening cals to earlier in the day if I find myself getting hungry - its the soup that feels a bit on the small side...

Thanks for your support guys, and long may we continue to tick off the lbs :)

Well done what a fab day you have had.

Keep up the good work :)

Glad the meals are lovely I shall be joining you in may. So I'll be watching your diary so that I have better understanding of how it all works

:)

On Day 1 with DC, when I opened the breakfast sachet, I thought "there's the first mouthful, where's the rest?"!! But actually it tends to be fine as I add a sliced banana or a handful of blueberries to it and, with a cup of tea, it's OK. If I need something again before lunch, I'll either go for a DC snack or another piece of fruit (an apple this morning, for example).

I come from a family where we love our food although noone's actually 'fat' (although my brother could lose a few pounds!!). I blame my father's side of the family - his mother was fairly hefty and the only one on either side of the family who had big boobs - and I got them too so they must weigh something! I remember my mum telling me that she visited Gran (her mother-in-law) one day and it must have been a health visitor or equivalent who was there at the time. She was telling mum how a few days earlier she'd laid the next few days' food out in the kitchen for my Gran who needed to lose weight. Trouble is, Gran had eaten it all on Day 1. I think I have that gene too! :D So the DC portions were a bit challenging at first but as several others have commented on here, that's probably why we're on here!! I am still looking forward to when I can sit down and eat a whole Indian takeaway on a Saturday night (and just make up for it during the week)!

I'm off out to lunch with a supplier today (another 'elephant trap'!) so will try to be good and may even get on the treadmill tonight if I have the energy although during the week I find that tough.

Hope everyone's having a good day. Think of how the clocks change in a few weeks, the weather's getting warmer and how great it'll feel being lighter and slimmer for the summer!

Hope your having a good day looking forward to all these results on the scales :)

Thanks for the support! I need it! Mucked up yesterday big time but back to it today. Bit of a mental battle when I arrived home... You know - voice in my head saying you can start again tomorrow, no one will ever know etc etc. but thank god diet chef is so quick, just bunged some pre sliced cabbage in the steamer and microwaved a pack.

Anyway, going to ignore yesterday, so here's today...

B - oat & raisin cookie, i love these & theyre surprisingly filling. running v late so had it at break time so no other snack. 200
L - pea & ham soup, not my fav but ok, and a slice of bread, 250
S - Banana 70, lots of coffee, 60
D - chicken tikka masala (yum) (295), quinoa, 170, lots of cabbage & leek 65

So far 1110 so I have 400 cal to play with tonight, but think I'll save 200 to make up for some of the sins of yesterday.

I do find myself really missing the sensation of eating during the day. The food seems over so quickly :0

Repeat after me, slim for summer, slim for summer, slim for summer and so on....!

Yay defo a better day and loads of calories for tonight.

You can do it and you will be So much lighter by summer :)

I track my calories with app on my phone my fitness plan think its called very handy

Oh it's so nice that peeps come and read about what I'm up to - thanks! I hope your journies are going well. I'm off to read your diary now nicnac!

Thanks lots to lose. At the moment I like seeing the list on here but I have downloaded the app for later.

Just been nibbling on some DC popcorn - its great! I'll look forward to taking some of that to the cinema soon! I have to say, I'm v impressed with the food, although I haven't tried much yet, and no breakfasts - happy to just have a shake at mo!

Should try the granola with yoghurt it's my fav breakfast ever mmmmmm

The popcorn is great and lasts a long time cause there is quite a lot in the bag!
Hope your day is going well :)

Hiya nicnac

How's things going?

Hello! I still exist! I'm afraid I've temporarily switched diets. I am coming back but I was struggling to get past the first few days on diet chef (lots of pitiful excuses) and I remember seeing lots2lose's posts about slim & save. So I went off to investigate. then I tried a few packs. And now I'm on day four and very happy with it so far. I have got 2 months of diet chef stuff, I loved the food and the convenience, so will be using them up after my vcld journey.

Thanks again for your support and good luck with your journeys. I hope to continue this diary in 3 months time (but with less weight to lose)

And a MASSIVE thank you to lotstolose who was my inspiration to follow this path.

Awwww no problem I'm glad you have found a diet that suits you. It's trial and error sometimes I'm going to use the diet chef food when I come off slim and save. Which must say is end of next month

Good luck

Hi everyone this is my first day on the diet. I was amazed at the portion size of breakfast TINY but this is why I have started the diet. To get portion control right. The soup I had today was really nice sweet potatoe and coconut. The diet when you look at the calories is made up of just 710 so are we supposed to fill up on extras and us the extra calls on these extras? Any info would be very helpful. I have a lot to lose, at least 4stone looking forward to keeping you informed thanks

Back