Diet Coke + slowing weight loss?

As i just said i have spoke to my doctor and she wasn't concerned. Ive been tested for diabetes and was negative, however i do have polycystic ovaries syndrome (pcos) which is similar to type 2 diabetes in some ways so maybe theres a connection there.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

littlewelshgirl said:
As i just said i have spoke to my doctor and she wasn't concerned. Ive been tested for diabetes and was negative, however i do have polycystic ovaries syndrome (pcos) which is similar to type 2 diabetes in some ways so maybe theres a connection there.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I'd see a different doctor because 15 pints is far too much water to be drinking and can be very dangerous! :)

Here are 2 links you Gould have a read of!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6263029.stm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2014112/Drinking-water-bad-health-Benefits-myth.html

Last edited:
It washes the sodium out of you.
There was a case a while back of some girl dying in a nightclub from drinking too much water. She took ecstasy and did what they recommend by drinking lots to stay hydrated.

As long as you're getting salt in your diet to replace it it shouldn't be too bad.

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

ColJack said:
It washes the sodium out of you.
There was a case a while back of some girl dying in a nightclub from drinking too much water. She took ecstasy and did what they recommend by drinking lots to stay hydrated.

As long as you're getting salt in your diet to replace it it shouldn't be too bad.

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

Water poisoning. It's the same as what happened to Leah Betts. It's not normally the ecstacy that kills people. It can happen without taking ecstacy too. Just excessive water consumption. Don't think 15 points would do it but I'm no doctor.

I agree with whoever said it, littlewelshgirl. Check with another doctor. 7.5 litres a day is a LOT.

I had always had two cans or more of diet coke a day. but stopped when i started at SW then a couple of weeks ago started again, i have found that the sweetness seems to set me off wanting more sweet tastes, if that makes any sense? i dont drink any hot drinks, so it looks like its back to water for me, which is ok but a bit boring...

I gave up my 1 litre a day diet coke habit for lent last year. I had the worst headaches for at least a week! I'm not sure about the weight loss issue, I lost over 6 stone on WW years ago and was officially underweight and drank the same amount.

Since Monday I've drank 6 litres of diet coke, I'll let you know at weigh in on Sunday if I've lost or not...granted the past 2 weeks I've been drinking just as much (2 litres a day, and it's a bloody expensive habit) and have lost. Lets hope it doesn't stop us because I don't think I could give up!

Dread the think what the coke is doing to your teeth and insides, pour coke down your loo before bed and see how sparkly n clean it will be in the morning!!
I gain if i drink fizzy drinks, even if i have 2 glasses in the pub!!!!
i drink 6-8 large mugs of green tea every day and 1 liter of water.

I drink a ton of water too. Have done for years. it's 10.30 am and i've already had 4 pints and will drink a good few more.

I havent noticed any problems with it as yet except having to go to the loo way more often! :D

Dread the think what the coke is doing to your teeth and insides, pour coke down your loo before bed and see how sparkly n clean it will be in the morning!!
I gain if i drink fizzy drinks, even if i have 2 glasses in the pub!!!!
i drink 6-8 large mugs of green tea every day and 1 liter of water.

Wow wish i could do the same but green tea gives me a funny tummy, ive cut out all fizzy drinks and have to admit my losses have been better x

dont quote me on this but im sure i seen something on the tell that said people who drink a lot of diet coke are more likely to be overweight as although you feel full initially, after that settles down it increases your appetite and make you more likely to over eat. No idea the science behind it and i would struggle myself to give it up; have a can a day :(
it is an expensive habit i may try to give it up for that reason alone!

dont quote me on this but im sure i seen something on the tell that said people who drink a lot of diet coke are more likely to be overweight as although you feel full initially, after that settles down it increases your appetite and make you more likely to over eat. No idea the science behind it and i would struggle myself to give it up; have a can a day :(

nice to know x

I drink alot of coke zero ive NEVER drank normal coke, since i find it tastes horrible and the amount of calories....dont even go there lol! but ive been a size 8 and a size 24 and drinking coke zero made NO difference to how much i weighted or felt, infact the only thing that causes a slow in weight loss is calories and lack of exercise, coke zero has like 2 calories as bottle so relax :)

But are they overweight because they drink diet coke, or drinking diet coke because they are overweight?

who knows it maybe just affects people differently, however even though it its virtually calorie free i still dont think im supposed to be having daily! :(

There was a study about this on the news recently. The diet sodas don't make you gain weight in and of themselves, but they can increase cravings. This is (apparently) because they are sweet, but have no calories to back this up, so do not provide the energy hit your body associates with sweetness. As a result your body then craves the calories it was expecting and you find yourself reaching for the biscuit tin. So people who drink a lot of diet soda are more likely to be over weight not because the drinks make you fat, but because they have an impact on behaviour. That's what it said, anyway - no idea if it is true (although from experience I can believe it).

There was a study about this on the news recently. The diet sodas don't make you gain weight in and of themselves, but they can increase cravings. This is (apparently) because they are sweet, but have no calories to back this up, so do not provide the energy hit your body associates with sweetness. As a result your body then craves the calories it was expecting and you find yourself reaching for the biscuit tin. So people who drink a lot of diet soda are more likely to be over weight not because the drinks make you fat, but because they have an impact on behaviour. That's what it said, anyway - no idea if it is true (although from experience I can believe it).

yep i heard something like this too x

Makes sense both me and my mum only like Diet coke and drink lots of it and we are both fatties. There is no way I am giving it up though, I can give up anything but not my DC. Besides DC chicken is one of my faves

I was gonna say the same as realslimlady, it is not coke that does it, rather it makes your body crave the sugar it can taste!

Back