Diet Coke + slowing weight loss?

Hi all,
I've read somewhere that diet coke can slow down your weight loss?! Im not sure how true this is and was wondering if anyone has read anything too?
If this is true i will be gutted, i drink quite a lot of diet coke, especially when I'm on a 12 hour shift or a night shift. I don't drink tea or coffee so its sort of my substitute!
Help! <3

littlewelshgirl said:
Hi all,
I've read somewhere that diet coke can slow down your weight loss?! Im not sure how true this is and was wondering if anyone has read anything too?
If this is true i will be gutted, i drink quite a lot of diet coke, especially when I'm on a 12 hour shift or a night shift. I don't drink tea or coffee so its sort of my substitute!
Help! <3

Hi if you do a search on here it's been asked a few times :)

I stopped drinking coke zero 4 weeks ago ( i drank 4-6 tins a day) and started drinking green tea. I have not noticed a difference in my weight lose but I feel far less bloated and my tummy looks a lot flatter.

I use the decaf green tea and have stopped taking caffeine all together and I am now feeling less sluggish and sleeping great.

Maybe try going without diet coke for a week and see how your weight lose goes?

Philip

It won't slow your losses but its not that good for you. I drink a lot of coke zero, mainly because its the only way I can get past my choc cravings at the moment. For me, it has been the thing which has stopped me falling off the wagon and as you can see my weight loss has been very good. Long term I am going to go to caffeine free coke, then half and half juice and water, then give it up unless I am out as its one of the only drinks I can get everywhere when out drinking with others :)

I used to drink a lot of Diet Coke, maybe around 3 cans a day. A friend told me that if I stopped I would lose weight and feel less bloated.

I went cold turkey for about a month and I have to be honest, I felt and looked no different :sigh: So, for me it didn't do much to my weight, but I don't doubt it was healthier for me.

I've gone back to drinking it now, but only one every couple of days.

x

My consultant ran a trial in her groups asking people who drank at least 2 cans a day to give it up. The losses the next week were fabulous.
So, in answer to your question, it may not slow down your losses but I think giving it up can give you a good loss one week and it's really not that good for you anyway.

I love pepsi max/diet pepsi and at a push will drink diet coke but I don't even have a glass a day. I weaned myself off it slowly and now much prefer value sparkling water! At around 18p a bottle it's miles cheaper too.

It won't slow your losses but its not that good for you. I drink a lot of coke zero, mainly because its the only way I can get past my choc cravings at the moment. For me, it has been the thing which has stopped me falling off the wagon and as you can see my weight loss has been very good. Long term I am going to go to caffeine free coke, then half and half juice and water, then give it up unless I am out as its one of the only drinks I can get everywhere when out drinking with others :)

I usually have a glass or 2 of Pepsi max each evening and this helps ward off any food cravings.

I'm trying to avoid snacking of an evening both to help my weightloss and prevent the terrible nighttime heartburn I used to suffer from.

I don't think it's affecting my weightloss at all but I would like to wean myself off eventually as I suspect it's not great for my health in other ways!

I used to drink 2-3 cans a day on average. Now I drink around 2 a week having replaced it with water - 2-3 litres a day I cant get enough of it haha!
I havent seen a massive difference with my weight, but I have less headaches, am less bloated and I'm a lot less.. err.. windy!

I used to drink 2-3 cans a day on average. Now I drink around 2 a week having replaced it with water - 2-3 litres a day I cant get enough of it haha!
I havent seen a massive difference with my weight, but I have less headaches, am less bloated and I'm a lot less.. err.. windy!

I do drink water the rest of the time (can't stand tea & coffee) so that's partly how I justify having the Pepsi max.

Interesting that you thought it made you windy, I was more windy at the start of SW but am eating more fibre than I did before so put it down to that. I seem to have gone back to normal levels (lol) now so not sure the Pepsi max is at fault.

Thanks for everyones replies.
Im not feeling the cold turkey idea as i think it would kill me!
I already drink loads of water, id say about 15 pints a day. I also hate green tea so don't know what else i could have instead.
I use the diet coke instead of munching on chocolate and for my energy boost all day which is definitely needed working on a children's ward! Xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I hope not, I drink about a litre and a half each day and lost 203 lbs in 18 months.

Caffein actually helps boost your metabolism.
Try coffee for your caffein fix.

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

There was a programme on the BBC a couple of years ago, and one part was giving an elite athlete things to eat in great quantities and see how their bodies reacted. One was diet coke, and I think it was Colin Jackson (the hurdler) had to drink 4 big bottles a day. He did put weight on. I found this

BBC News - Research suggests diet drinks can trigger weight gain

As someone else posted, it made me bloated and did stop choccy cravings. It didn't affect my losses but now I don't have any in the house, so I've been having water and feel a lot better. I think the conclusion is health wise it isn't the best drink to have, but if the main goal is losing weight right now I would go ahead and drink it.

Thanks for everyones replies.
Im not feeling the cold turkey idea as i think it would kill me!
I already drink loads of water, id say about 15 pints a day. I also hate green tea so don't know what else i could have instead.
I use the diet coke instead of munching on chocolate and for my energy boost all day which is definitely needed working on a children's ward! Xx

15 pints? That's more than 8 litres. That's a huge amount!

I agree, you can drink too much water, that's not good for you either!!
I think the diet coke thing had to be down to choice. It's not great for you, but if it's stops snacking, it's better than chocolate and crisps. I don't drink much of it but it's a good fall back when down the pub, better that the gallons of wine I'd otherwise be drinking!

It's a running joke in my office that I have a £4 a day coke habit! Definitely only the Diet variety though.

Also, If you're worried about diet coke slowing down your weight loss, I'd maybe think that the water was causing and slowness. 15 pints? You're kidding, right? If the research is founded of "a pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter" you're drinking nearly 19lbs every day (PLUS diet coke and anything else you're drinking). It's a hell of a lot to consume in a day!

We've only got pint glasses at home and i can easily drink that much in a day, and i generally am a thirsty person. I have mentioned it to my doctor and she dint seem too concerned? :s
Im trying to cut down on my coke but as i don't drink tea or coffee its sort of my substitute x x

15 pints a day is TOO much!!!

I've read that you can 'flood' your brain if you drink more than 6-8 litres a day!!

You need to seek medical guidance coz being over thirsty can be a sign of other things such as diabetes etc. x

Back