Step 1 Sole Source Diet Journal

Djelibeybi

I'm hopeless at maintaining a diary but I've read a few inspirational ones here so I'll give it a go. This is my second day on CD, and I'm so easily distracted by things I thought I'd try to collect my thoughts here.

Day 1 didn't start well.

Wake up feeling peckish. What's for breakfast, I wonder. Maybe a bit of toast ... oh wait, diet day. Aware that headaches can be an issue I polish off the first pint of water within the hour, with a black coffee (eugh) to stave off caffeine withdrawal, and make the first shake. That's it, the diet is underway.

Needless to say, food is foremost in my thoughts for most of the day. I should point out that this isn't usually the case but something about dieting just makes me think constantly about what I can't eat, what I can't drink. And I swear every TV programme is about cookery.

I time my meals so I'm having them at about the same time I would usually eat, accompanying each shake with another pint of water. Flavours tried - fruits of the forest (a bit grainy, maybe needs more blending), mango (mmm, a bit like a smoothy) and a banana carton (a bit thick). All in all, three meals successfully downed and by the end of the day about 3 coffees and 6 pints of water.

Surprisingly I was able to help out my OH while he was preparing some dinner. I didn't even lick the spoon!

In the evening I did find brushing my teeth once wasn't enough though, the I can do without the furry mouth feeling.

Lessons learned:

I can be in the kitchen without eating anything.
Water is boring.
Coffee is much better with milk.
I'll need more toothpaste.
I can do this.

Good luck! :D You can definitely do this. And you'll definitely need more toothpaste. And mouthwash. And breath spray XD
Tbh, I haven't had too much trouble with bad breath, it's not as bad as I thought it would be so long as I give my tongue a good scrub in the morning, but a squirt of breath spray a couple of times a day is a nice minty flavour, which keeps my taste buds happy, haha!

Congratulations on helping your OH in the kitchen, that's fantastic will power, you're amazing!! :D I could never have done that in my first week :p

As for water, I used to think it was boring but actually like it more now :S Weird, I must be getting used to it! I recommend you get a water flavouring powder though, those are SO great! I make mine up at half-strength too (but I've always liked quite weak diluting juice in the past) which means I get lots of flavoured water to drink in a day :)

Keep coming on here every day, it really helps, just post whenever you're feeling weak or need to distract yourself! <3

Keep up the good work, you're doing great :)

Hey miss I'm on day 3 how u coping x it might be nice to buddy up seen as we start at the same time x I feel a bit lonely out here not eating and with loads to lose I'm stuck here for months x how's yr day been

Good luck to you too then Lea! :) Have you tried many other diets before?

You're both welcome to join my CWP team if you like (link in my signature), I just set it up today, it's essentially going to be a group of diet buddies instead of just a pair :)
But no need if it doesn't look helpful to you! Buddying up just the two of you is a good idea too!

I'm on my phone so can't follow the link but yeah i agree the more support ppl have the better x I did Cwp last year and lost 6 stone but due to gallstones had to quit and then just put it all back on so here I am again x

Thank you both, a support team sounds great. Breath spray and water flavour? Check! :checkmark green:

But I'm going to be naughty next week (birthday, with inevitable meal and booze) so maybe after that I can really knuckle-down. :(

Actually, I might qualify that 'inevitable' comment.

I suppose a big part of my even needing to be here is that food is almost the sole way of celebrating much these days. Once I found it was nicer and cheaper to settle down in front of the telly or a film with a bottle of wine instead of clubbing, then that's when the weight gain really began. My OH, bless 'im, is a fantastic cook and loves his food (ie. is obese too) and in addition to this, most celebrating of any kind - with or without family - is generally a meal and drinkies at home or at a nice restaurant.

So, when trying to decide how to spend my birthday the immediate idea was to go for a lovely meal, and have family and friends round for more food over the weekend. Now to be honest this is what everyone will expect, and being the weak-minded and - quite frankly - greedy type, I won't be able to sit with gathered loved ones and not eat. Of course, after a couple of weeks dieting I will be keenly aware of how much I'm eating. I definitely won't eat the size of portion or number of courses that I would usually attempt. But I will eat, and I will feel so guilty and get back to the diet with a vengeance.

Until then though I plan to be as well-behaved as possible and see what happens.

I have to be honest, I found it too difficult to stick to it properly until my OH joined me on the plan!! You're facing a lot of temptation, it sounds! :( But you can do this :)

I noticed that myself as well that I seem to reward everything with food, any success or achievement, and comfort for any failures, always seems to be food!!! I'm still working on changing that frame of mind to non-food things XD Social events too, all seem to revolve around food :S

It took me about 6 weeks before I could actually stand to eat socially and not fall off the wagon, but now I'm there I've realised there ARE options! :) so after your birthday, when you're ready to give it your all, you come to me and we'll talk about social eating ;D Why don't you think of the time between now and your birthday as a 'practice run'? :)

Wow Lea, 6st??? That's astounding, well done! You can definitely do it again :D
If you can't click the link, just head over to the 'CD Teams' board and find the 'Team FireShark' thread, it's near the top :) the more the merrier.
I'm sick of being a flabby flounder, I'm going to be a sleek shark soon ^_^

Day 2 started with a headache.

It was there the moment I woke up and lingered 'til about noon. I drank several pints of water and a coffee before giving in and taking tablets. I can't be sure if the headache was diet related or not, but if in doubt, drink more water.

It was just a day at home today; a couple of hours in the office slaving over a hot computer, regular top-ups of my glass and just as frequent trips to the loo. I'm going to need a book in there ;). I'm interested to see how tomorrow will go - my other part-time job may prove to be a challenge.

A happy thought occurred to me later in the day: I didn't actually feel hungry! A few food thoughts crept in but that was probably down to boredom mid-afternoon and when my OH decided to watch one of his many recorded foodie programmes in the evening (Heston Blumenthal - although the idea of his snail porridge would easily put me off food for some time). So while the TV was on I just kept my head down and read forum posts for moral support :).

And as the OH was knackered I actually cooked dinner for him!

Lessons learned:

Check if padded loo seats are available while water consumption is this high or
Find a good book.
Cooking dinner isn't a problem if I have my meal first.

You're doing REALLY well :D

Be prepared for day 3, if you're going into ketosis day 3 is the most common for feeling really weak and sluggish. It only lasts about a day, so just focus on th fact that it will be over soon and you know that when you come out on the other side of day 3 (day 4 for some people) you will find it easier from then on :D

GOOD LUCK FIRESHARK! :)

*drumroll* Day 3!

I had my concerns before day 3 because this was going to be my first shift of my part-time job since starting. While I spend most of my time working from home (nice comfy office chair, constant coffee) I have 4 shifts at a supermarket. Now there are particular pros and cons: the pro - lots of walking, the con - my inability to leave the store without stopping at the bakery section for a pastry. Obviously the con is down to me, so I have to stop lingering by the croissants and shift my ass.

Oh, and management don't like staff taking too many breaks so nipping to the canteen for a cup of water may not be possible as often as I'd like (or need) to.

So I get up as per my usual routine. With my usual coffee I have a pint of water. No headache! The shift went well; I managed to sneak a few cups of water, I didn't feel hungry 'til the end (which usually the case anyway - my standard excuse for getting a pastry) but I managed to just walk straight out, no diversions, no pain au chocolat, not even an egg custard tart :D . To be honest as I got home and made my first shake of the day I felt so proud :eek:.

The rest of the day was pretty good too, apart from during my OH's dinner. He got home a little later than expected and I had finished my shake about an hour earlier. I didn't need to make it, but sitting with him while he ate is was a bit of a challenge.

Lessons learned:

It is possible to ignore pastries, yes, even the almond croissants!
Sneaking off for a cup of water isn't too difficult.
My husband, despite any training I've tried to impose on him, has the time management skills of a parsnip.

And here at the start of day 4, my pedometer says I've done over 9500 steps during this morning's shift! :eek:

Ok, day 4 report :)

The count on my pedometer was a nice surprise, and that made up for the headache and fatigue I had felt throughout the shift. I think (I hope!) that the bad feelings were just down to lack of water, I had overslept so only had 1 smaller drink and didn't have many chances to get drinks at work. Still, as soon as I got home had had my breakfast meal, the headache thankfully shifted.

The rest of the day has been fine, no hunger pangs, drunk lots of water, and just finished my final meal of the day. My first weigh in is tomorrow though :( not a full week into the diet, but my councillor only had limited appointment slots. Anyway, fingers crossed for a good 5-day weigh in, particularly as it won't be as good next week.

Well done. Tomorrow is my day 3 and i have a 9 hour shift at Wimpy tomorrow and if it doesn't happen tomorrow then it will happen Saturday and I have the same shift lol. I'm just trying to find my strength to get through them one day at a time lol.

have you stuck to it 100% and have you had any sneaky peaks at the scales?

I start day three tomorrow as well. As soon as I've eaten i feel fine. But after a couple of hours I am so hungry! I have never done anything like this before. I have done slimming world before, but being able to choose and decide what I eat, made my binging worse. When I get hungry I just read these forums. It definitely distracts me and boosts my motivation.

Wow Emziie, that would be such a challenge for me. My shifts are just 4 hours :/ Good luck. So far I've stuck to CD 100%, and my scales are so unreliable there's no point in my using them anyway :)

Kez there are so many inspirational stories on here, aren't there. Starting day 5 now, WI later today, hunger pangs don't seem to be an issue, but I'm drinking maybe 3 litres a day, water, black coffee and I've introduced bouillion too. The best of luck to you!

Well done Djelibeybi! Keep it up! Really well done on getting through that first shift, what an achievement! :D x

A quick report about day 5

My shift at work was OK, although I felt really tired for most of it. I wore the pedometer again - another 9100 steps (no wonder I'm knackered lol)! I didn't actually feel hungry until 10, had my breakfast and a strong coffee to keep me awake. Then a trip to town to run a few errands and see my CC.

The big news - 7lbs lost in 5 days! :woohoo: I didn't bother with having any measurements taken as I didn't notice any differences yet, but will definitely get measured next week. As for the rest of the day, it was probably my best so far. No hunger pangs, but didn't have to deal with OH's dinner again. I even managed to ignore the ice cream he had bought for himself!

On to my first full week ...

OK, its Tuesday and I didn't post over the weekend *hangs head in shame*. So, what happened?

Well, the biggest challenge to date was spending two whole days with my OH, being together while he had his 3 meals a day plus the sort of snacks we would treat ourselves too while sat in our office together. The trick, it seems, is to make sure I eat at the same time as him. If I feel a bit wobbly, think of reaching for a chip or a sip of wine, then just leave the room. And in one extreme case go for a bath instead (keeps me away from the food and warms me up, win-win!). I managed to survive the weekend 100% SS'ing and a lot cleaner :rolleyes:.

I forgot about the challenge I was going to face on Monday - until Monday morning. I was due to attend a full days tuition (lunch included) so I packed a tetra and a bottle of water. Two handy coffee breaks meant I could top up my water bottle (and drink copious amounts of black coffee), and to avoid the free food (something I admit I have never done before :D) I found a quiet corner of a garden to drink my tetra. So I got back to the course, just making a little excuse to the more observant course attendees as to why I didn't eat anything, and got through the rest of the day.

In the evening I managed to cook dinner for the OH. One near fail though - the completely automatic move to taste something to make sure it was cooked! I caught myself, food on fork, just about to take a bite when *ding* I realised what I was doing! What a muppet! :doh:

Lessons learned:

I'll be spending a lot of time in the bath - I need to get to Lush for some nicer bath stuff
To get to the course venue, turn right, not left :doh:
Of course its cooked, I am a kitchen goddess, I don't need to check

Right, today's the day. After one and half weeks of 100% SSing, I'm going out for a meal tonight. I'm feeling so guilty about it already but I've intended to go along and enjoy myself.

I could've put off starting CD until after tonight, but I really wanted to make a start. Its funny that yesterday was probably my worst diet day to date. I'm sure it was just boredom but I just couldn't help thinking I was hungry for most of the afternoon :(, and so tired, I just felt completely wiped out. I helped my OH prepare his dinner but that was only possible as I saved my last meal to eat at the same time. It probably didn't help that he was delayed getting home, but it just made time for another pint of water I suppose.

And it doesn't help that my WI is tomorrow, I just hope tonights meal ... passes ... quickly :eek:

Had my WI ... OMG!

Back