Diet

ellaye

Hey :)

As part of my new year resolution to lose weight and get healthy, I've started following a low carb/clean eating version of Weight Watchers.

So far it's going great, but I have 250lbs to lose and I'd like to start Orlistat to give me an extra boost.

The thing is, I'm slightly paranoid about potential side effects if my diet is too high in fat. Do you have to be very careful about how much fat you consume? I'm not planning on eating a lot of it, and when I do it'll be from things like olive oil and eggs and whatnot.

Is there anything you need to cut out of your diet to get the best out of using Orlistat?

Thanks.

Hi, I took them for about a year - I haven't taken them for 8 months now but I had good results and at my lowest I lost 12.5 stone (I have since out 2stone back on, but am working on that!!!)

They are great for helping with Will power - I am not sure if I would have lost the same amount without them but they definitely kept me on the straight and narrow for the fear of side effects.. I never experienced any, but didn't eat anything above 4% fat - so, no oil, cheese, butter/spread, mayo, fried foods, takeaways, chocolate, crisps, biscuits etc. But you will find loads of substitutes - that are just as nice.

If you are not 100% committed to low/no fat, I wouldn't entertain the idea!

Hi, I'm only 7 1/2 weeks on Orlistat and I have yet to have any major side effects from the pills. No leaking or accidents. At first I was very good not to eat anything that would set off a bad reaction. I don't add any extra oil to my cooking as to me it is a waste of my fat allowance. Instead I bought (or should I say was given) a fantastic frying pan that doesn't require any extra oil. If I was to need to use some it would be the fry light stuff instead of actual oil. I have eaten eggs but only really one at a time and have not had a reaction- others may have. I'm slowly finding out that food seems to affect people in different ways and you kind of have to find out for yourself what your body will and won't tolerate. There is plenty of food you can eat that is in the fat allowance- I've even had curries with naan bread and pizza (all weight watchers of course) so I don't really feel that deprived of that type of food. I have started substituting some of my meat meals for quorn based ones as this is less fat compared to the meat and it means that maybe I can add one or two extra things to my meal that I would not have been able to if I had used meat as it would have sent me over my fat allowance.

I was rather worried before I started taking Orlistat in regards to the side effects but in all honesty I can say this has been the best thing to have been given to me. I don't consider it a quick fix, it doesn't make the weight drop off me and if I continue eating a high fat diet then it's only going to help a little as it only removes a 1/3 of the fat I eat. For me, what it has done is make me think more than twice about what I'm shoving in my mouth. Do I really want to be toilet bound? No! Is it worth eating the tasty but fattening food only to end up with a consequence? No. For me it's turning out to be my little Jiminy Cricket- my food conscience. Give it whirl, if you don't like it then it's easy enough to stop taking it, however if like me you might find it the best way forward. Good luck on your journey x

Last edited:
I agree with the above. Well done I taking the first steo however if you are to take the orlistat, to get the best results you mustn't even entertain the idea of eating over 5% fat. The fear is what kept me on the straight and narrow whilst taking them. I was terrified of being caught whilst at work or in the car etc...so I made sure I didn't eat anything with more than 5% fat. Good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MiniMins.com mobile app

I'm willing to stick to low fat if it'll help :)

I don't eat loads of it anyway, so I don't think it'll be a big deal. I'm seeing my doctor on the 13th to ask for it. I've been sticking to Weight Watchers and tracking my food/weight loss so I can show that to my doctor if need be.

Back