DietGirl24's WW Diary!!!

I haven't started C25k... I will do at some point lol! Hope u had a nice weekend xx

Oh you'll enjoy it, I'd say!:) Yeah my weekend was great I had an amazing pamper session last night..felt soo good afterwards x

Pamper session sounds brill :D x

yw..hope you're good too hun:)

Overeating triggers dopamine, the brain's reward system. The more you overeat, the more dopamine is produced. And now high levels of dopamine are being linked to depression.

Overeating and depression are linked-common link dopamine

cycle:

1. overeat-> more dopamine->depression->overeat again and so on

vicious cycle really. and it is addictive.

a lot of depression-hormonal
serotonin
neuropinephine-thats what antidepressants are for, regulating neurop and serotonin
and now dopamine

what is serotonin?
its a 5HT transmitter. biologically derived from tryptophan.
Tryptophan is found in:
oats, nuts, yoghurt, milk, eggs, fish, poultry, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, bananas, cod, pumpkin, various green vegetables.

Serotonin regulates:
1. mood
2. sleep
3. appetite

intense spiritual experience can be associated with low levels of serotonin.

Dopamine levels can be raised by raising serotonin.
endorphins are the other transmitter that affects mood, 4 in total.

serotonin-satisfied feeling-eg after a run.

epinephrine-flight or fight response.

dopamine-sleep and waking cycles. stress, anxiety, very low carb diets can disturb dopamine levels. that jet lag feeling if there is a deficiency.

Exercise affects all FOUR neurotransmitters.

high levels of exercise-adrenaline and epinephrine. like flight or fight. thats why the yoga and chilling out afterwards is a good idea.

low to moderate levels of exercise-serotonin is boosted.
feeling-like the feeling you have when you're around close friends and family

when the serotonin levels rise, the dopamine levels tend to rise in accordance.
We have all experienced the good night’s rest that is typical following a good workout. However, we have probably also experienced the disrupted sleep that can follow intense exercise performed too late. It seem then that low to moderate intensity exercise has a positive effect on dopamine levels, while exercise that is very intense can lower dopamine levels, causing a disruption in sleep. In fact, one of the symptoms of overtraining is a disruption in the athlete’s sleep pattern.

We experience a rise in endorphins regardless of the type, or intensity of the exercise. However, the endorphin response to exercise becomes stronger with exercise frequency. It seems that the more exercise we perform, the more endorphins we produce with each exercise bout. While natural painkillers are never a bad thing, we do want to be careful of overtraining, which will disrupt sleep patterns, putting us at a greater risk of injury.

we can control mood through exercise
different intensities of exercise create different chemical responses in the body.

Serotonin can become depleted with
1. chronic stress or anxiety, (tick)
2. starvation or a low carbohydrate diet, (tick) and
3. inactivity (no exercise..tick), leaving you feeling depressed, irritable, moody, and exhausted.

Cortisol-reduce it to get rid of belly fat

cortisol-flight or fight response. its a hormone.
so to get rid of it, you have to chill out a bit more.

rise in serotonin-> rise in dopamine
(exercise-healthy way to get a buzz/activate the brain's reward system)

overeating-unhealthy way to get dopamine

Last edited:
Wow that really interesting stuff Diet girl . Thanks for putting it up there especially about the exercise

Okay, plan for this week:

1. Manage thoughts
*Journal each night-log of thoughts, like a daily record
-thought records ABC DEFs (dispute thoughts)
-do at the end of the day
It'll be like an evaluation of how the day went

2. Manage feelings
Do some of the mindfulness and self-soothe techniques
more exercise-aerobics
yoga
aromatherapy
running
more pampering
reward myself

3. Take care of myself
Take a risk
Reject my excuses
Improve one other habit each week
Moisturise arms twice a day

4. Plan Ahead
Planners, trackers, use my organiser, Beck Diet Solution

5. Make wise food choices
Do out a food plan tomorrow morning
Make a new recipe this week, decide tomorrow
Make sure I get 2 portions of omega 3 fish, plus almonds this week
Think about getting vitamin E capsules and omega 3,6 9 capsules

6. Get active
Do out an exercise plan tomorrow morning

7. Sort surroundings
Sort the kitchen out tomorrow

*goal directed

Go girl :) x

Okay, plan for this week:

1. Manage thoughts
*Journal each night-log of thoughts, like a daily record
-thought records ABC DEFs (dispute thoughts)
-do at the end of the day
It'll be like an evaluation of how the day went

2. Manage feelings
Do one mindfulness exercise and one self-soothe exercise each day
Do weekly pamper session
Exercise-10 min yoga per day, Davina DVD, running schedule

3. Take care of myself
Make decisions I've been putting off
Moisturise arms twice a day

4. Plan Ahead
Planners, trackers, use my organiser, Beck Diet Solution

5. Make wise food choices
Do out a food plan tomorrow morning
Make sure I get 2 portions of omega 3 fish, plus almonds this week

6. Get active
Do out an exercise plan tomorrow morning

7. Sort surroundings
Sort the kitchen out tomorrow

*goal directed

(edited to make it more realistic:) )

Wheres our research assistant gone ??? . Hope this week is going ok for you

lol breda!! I haven't been amazing this week eating wise but I'm getting back on tract now phew!:)

Oh I'm going to start the 3 positive things a day thing, its such a good idea!!

Ok my three positive things today are:

1. Really nice sunset today. I could see a tinge of pink in the sky. I looked up and I saw the clouds and I imagined lying down on them, as if they were a fluffy pillow and bouncing on them like they were a bouncing castle. I used to imagine this when I was younger too! :)
2. Smell of freshly cut grass
3. Smell of seaweed by the river..I love the smell of sea air, it evokes memories of being on the beach as a child

Oh oops were these meant to diet related? Hmm I might just do a diet related one and a life related one:
1. I drank herbal tea today
2. Went for a walk, two walks actually haha!!
3. Drank water and ate healthily

Hmm okay, thats four..lol its tough narrowing it down to three:p

Last edited:
Love the positives of both variety ;) x

aw thanks hun, yeah i had a great day today so i could've thought of more positives actually!!:D

Oh I saw this quote and it really struck a chord with me so I'm posting it here for inspiration. It obviously can apply to anything but definitely to weight loss too:)

“Being myself
includes taking risks with myself,
taking risks on new behavior,
trying new ways of ‘being myself’
so that I can see who it is
I want to be.”
Hugh Prather, American writer

*Make three changes at a time, let things happen by themselves, happy thoughts
*Make no substitutions to my planned menus

*Watch negative language:
*"its hard"->"it's easy and I can do it"
*"I still have X amount to lose"-> "I've lost loads of weight already and I will lose the rest in no time!"
*"I'm losing motivation"-> "I always have motivation, willpower, self control and power and I would like to tap into it more"
*"I never can maintain my weight"->"I am willing to believe I can maintain my weight easily and successfully for the rest of my life"
*"I'm not good enough til I get to my goal weight"-> "I am an amazing person"
*"I can't keep it up"->"Of course I can keep it up, just take it one day at a time"
*"I always get bored"->"I will vary things up, vary my food up and vary my exercise to keep myself interested"
*"I might do it one day and not the next"->"take it one day at a time, no need to look way down the line just yet!"
*"I keep snacking on fruit"-> I recognised this trigger so I bought frozen blueberries to put in my porridge. I don't snack on them because they are frozen. Problem solved!

Anytime I have these thoughts, I will remind myself that these are typical thoughts that many people have and that I can choose healthier thoughts. :) Wow, it's funny isn't it..I'm choosing healthier options of food first and now I'm choosing healthier options of thoughts! I have a choice to be kind to myself or else be my own worst enemy. That choice is mine to make each day.

Love yourself slim! Want to lose weight? The secret is to think you're beautiful just the way you are right now | Mail Online

Thanks jo :)

My 3 positive thoughts for today:
1. I did chores I had been putting off for ages
2. Used cocoa butter on my skin so my skin smells soo good :)
3. Got perspective on something that was annoying me previously and feel better for it!

Ok I'm not meant to have 4 but I was proud I did this: I gave myself 10 compliments this morning on my body, 10 compliments on my personality and did the 3 positive things this morning, I felt so good afterwards! :)

Diet 3 positive things:
1. Drank 3 litres of water
2. Ate heathily today
3. Drank herbal tea

Thanks Jo:)

Ok my positives yesterday were:
1. was in a good mood, had fun
2. drank herbal tea
3. got a lot done yesterday, was very motivated

Ok today has been a bad day! I got seeds of self-doubt in my head and it took me ages to get that negative voice out of my head! I finally said "give myself a break, I'm doing the best I can" internally and that seemed to do the trick.

I am recovering from depression. I have got a better handle on it now, learned a lot of good coping skills..today was a "bad" day but I dealt with it much better. I did ask myself "would I treat a friend like that?" Wow, the CBT work I've done has actually paid off. :D Earlier on, I was wondering whether the CBT had made any difference as I had been in such a foul mood.

I am going to monitor my mood more carefully from now on. I keep having a few good days followed by a really bad day. That's normal enough with life but with the depression, I have to nip a bad mood in the bud pretty sharpish!

1. I didn't comfort eat
2. I developed a plan to focus more on being self-compassionate
3. I recognised the progress I have made so far

Ok, they are my positives for today.

Definitely helps posting here today:)

Love the positives!! U can do it :) x

Thanks Carly! I know I can, just bad day/blip!!:) Feeling good again today:D

Ok, my positives today are:

1. found these amazing period houses on a walk yesterday, heard all about their history. I love history and architecture!
2. saw a cute guy yday
3. only ate when I was hungry today and yday

Hi Diet girl . Just wanted to say well done on working hard to beat your depresion . It sounds like the CBT has really worked for you. I have suffered from depression for about six years now having bad months, then recovering, then going back down again.I also remember exactly the pattern you said ,being good for a few days and then a really down day where even getting out of bed seemed so hard.

Last year I got my thyroid checked and although it was on the high limit, it wasnt crazy high but the doctor put me on medication anyway and I have to say i havnt looked back since . Jan/Feb tended to be bad months for me but I sailed through this year. My depression was due to stress really (2 kids with totally different special needs and also looking after my elderly father). The funny thing was I kept going while I had to but soon after my dad died ,it all fell apart.

Just saying this to you because it might be something worth chatting to your doctor about . Its only a simple blood test to get your thyroid levels checked. I feel great now . I will be on medication for life(anti-D) but Id prefer that to living a roller coaster life.

oh my GP made me do a blood test to check my thyroid before he put me on anti depressants but all was fine thankfully!:)

Yeah I've really found the CBT helpful for depression, weight watchers is CBT too pretty much and the Beck Diet Solution book so it all ties in! My GP recommended I do therapy for the depression so I decided to do the CBT myself. I like CBT because its very solution-focused, based on the here-and-now..You can do with a CBT therapist or else on your own but basically, eventually they want you to practice the CBT skills by yourself in your life. I like doing things myself so it suited me :)

thanks for telling me about the thyroid test though, appreciate the thoughtfulness! glad you've been depression-free this year!! :) It's such a common illness, thats why I tend to post links on depression on minimins as you never know how many people are suffering in silence with it so at least if they see a link on depression, it might help! x

Back