Dieting while ill.

Golden Phoenix

I know that the answer is probably to ask my doctor but it's crazy-o-clock right now and i'm curious.

I've had flu and had no appetite for a week and i've now ended up with acute bronchitis for which i will be taking antibiotics, i also have an upset tummy.

Is it a good idea to diet while ill? Should i up my calorie intake or just make sure i'm still getting lots of fluids and plenty of vitamins and minerals but continue the diet?

All in all i don't feel too bad, a little light headed due to reduced oxygen intake, i'm coughing and my appetite still isn't 100% but i feel reasonably well compared with last week.

personally i would never diet whenever im ill, i think when you ill you dont eat much junk anyway, i would make sure you have plenty of fluids and try to eat something light.

Agree with the above. Plenty of fluids and light food if you can. Toasts perfect, water biscuits and crackers. Even a tin of soup if swallowing solids would be difficult. Hth and get well soon. xx

Well, i had to go to the doctor in the end anyway. The decision was taken out of my hands as i was told to fast for 24 hours to settle my system. My appetite's been screwed thanks to the pain and nausea.

I asked the doctor about dieting while ill and he said that you shouldn't go back to eating "normally" (I.e, what you would eat if you weren't dieting) because you're more likely to fall off the wagon, however you should up your calorie intake to make sure the body has enough strength to fight infection and make sure there's lots of clear liquids. Following this you can keep yourself on track while you're ill and recovering.

Back