Dinkie Dawnies Dubious Diary of Downsizing, Deflation, and Debauchery

That film sounds good, I like Timothy Spall, is it one of those gentle English films? I'm not keen on the car chase/shoot 'em up variety - I always fall asleep!

Bess said:
That film sounds good, I like Timothy Spall, is it one of those gentle English films? I'm not keen on the car chase/shoot 'em up variety - I always fall asleep!

Well, it centres around this guy who's really overweight and never leaves the house, and who's mission in life is to be the fattest man in Britain. It's very funny in places, but quite a tear jerker too, and some things that the big guy 'Georgie' says really strike home with anyone who's overweight, well they did with me anyway. Timothy Spall is brilliant in it, and also a young actress who's name I can't remember. A 'feel good' film, with a bit of swearing in it but totally in keeping with the characters. Ive seen it twice now lol!

Thanks Dawn, I'll look out for it. :)

Hope you've had a good day today up't north.

I finally made the roulade tonight. Tasted fantastic but . . .
As I said on Jules thread I bought Fromage Frais instead or quark. It was fine in the sponge - although it didn't rise an awful lot. Think I might need some new baking powder - mine must be about 10 years old.
But the Fromage Frais was far too runny for the spread and it all started to leak out when I rolled it up.
I also used fresh figs as the fruit and they were just not strong tasting enough!

Will do it again though making sure I buy quark next time.

So thanks for the recipe - a virtually syn free pud was a nice change from just having fruit and yoghurt.

Evening guys xx

Another sunny day! That's two in a row! That's never happened to us here before! Normally we're watching the rising river a few feet from the back door, wondering if we should get the sand bags out and start moving all the furniture and electrical equpiment upstairs!

Anyway we made the most of the weather and followed a nature trail on a local farm, which took us through some lovely woodland with beautiful wild flowers. Afterwards we had a gorgeous cream tea in the farm tea rooms :) Naughty but oh so nice!

Then we headed up to Diff Wood which is a mountain with a couple of osprey viewing points, and volunteers with telescopes to see the ospreys through. It's quite a steep walk up to the 1st viewing point, and Gwyns asthma was playing up a bit, so we decided not to carry on to the higher one. The guys there had their telescopes trained on the osprey nest which had two young chics in it, and also the mum. Dad was out fishing (suppose it makes a change from golf lol).

We came back to the cottage and had a bit of a sit down, and a glass of wine, while Doug cooked us sausage, mash and green beans, very tastey. Then of course it was time for the Apprentice, and just come to bed now. I just heard the boys go out in the car so goodness knows where they've gone! Shops I suppose.

Well this holiday is going far too quickly for my liking! I'm just getting into the swing of it lol!

Lots of love,

dawn xx

Pommette said:
Hope you've had a good day today up't north.

I finally made the roulade tonight. Tasted fantastic but . . .
As I said on Jules thread I bought Fromage Frais instead or quark. It was fine in the sponge - although it didn't rise an awful lot. Think I might need some new baking powder - mine must be about 10 years old.
But the Fromage Frais was far too runny for the spread and it all started to leak out when I rolled it up.
I also used fresh figs as the fruit and they were just not strong tasting enough!

Will do it again though making sure I buy quark next time.

So thanks for the recipe - a virtually syn free pud was a nice change from just having fruit and yoghurt.

Oh dear lol! Shame about the filling! Definately giv it another go hunni as it is really nice...you might have to tweak it a bit lol xxx

Hey Dawn,
Glad that the sun has been shining for you, and that you are obviously having a great time - and you're right, time does fly, when you are enjoying yourself x

Glad you are having a relaxing time, thank you so much for posting that recipe for me. :hug99:

Well, it centres around this guy who's really overweight and never leaves the house, and who's mission in life is to be the fattest man in Britain. It's very funny in places, but quite a tear jerker too, and some things that the big guy 'Georgie' says really strike home with anyone who's overweight, well they did with me anyway. Timothy Spall is brilliant in it, and also a young actress who's name I can't remember. A 'feel good' film, with a bit of swearing in it but totally in keeping with the characters. Ive seen it twice now lol!

I love that film! I think it was a drama series on tv wasn't it?
I know I watched it on tv and cried my eyes out in places and yet cried with laughter in others! I may have to look that up to watch again I think :D

How is your holiday? It sounds like you are in a gorgeous part of the country...

Any news on your Uncle?

Mini Mum said:
I love that film! I think it was a drama series on tv wasn't it?
I know I watched it on tv and cried my eyes out in places and yet cried with laughter in others! I may have to look that up to watch again I think :D

How is your holiday? It sounds like you are in a gorgeous part of the country...

Any news on your Uncle?

Hi mini mum,
Can't remember a series but the film was lovely! Had Bobby Ball (from Cannon and Ball) in it too. I was just the same, laughing and crying all the way thru it!

Haven't heard any more on my uncle Dave yet. Will speak to my auntie when we get home and then go visit him in hospital on Monday hopefully. Thanks for asking hunni xx

pjallen1982 said:
Hey Dawn,
Hope you're enjoying your last evening on holiday, and have a great time with the girls tomorrow. Enjoy xxx

Thanks Penny xx (and happy anniversary again lol)

How sad its our last night already...thank goodness I've got tomorrows little rendezvous to look forward too...ooh I AM excited!

We're just having a cup of tea before going to pick something to eat up...I think its pizza tonight :)

We had an interesting afternoon walking round the little shops in Keswick, and went into a fascinating place which had lots of optical illusions and tricks. It was very clever and made u think!

The sun has been out all day...in fact I don't think we've had ANY rain since we got here! That's a first for us!

Dawn, when you started to run did you buy any particular shoes or just ordinary trainers? I'd like to start I think.

Have a great time tomorrow with Gail and Jules. :)

Glad your hols have been sooo relaxing and sunny. Have a great day tomorrow, I hope going home doesn't depress you too much :) xx

Ditto from me too and give Jules and Gail a hug from me.

Bess said:
Dawn, when you started to run did you buy any particular shoes or just ordinary trainers? I'd like to start I think.

Have a great time tomorrow with Gail and Jules. :)

Hi Bess,

Well I wasn't going to bother with running shoes and started out in my old trainers, but it was quite quite a mistake. I soon began to have problems with my knee and had to stop. After reading up on running, I found out that there are different ways that your foot hits the ground, and if u wear the wrong shoes u can cause a lot of problems. So I went to a sports shop (cant remember the name off the top of my head but it was one of the big stores) and they tested my feet (just had to stand on a heat sensitive plate) and I got a pair that had been reduced to about £40 I think. They feel totally different to trainers...its like walking on air! And my knee has been ok since I got them, although I did have a problem recently but it was more my leg. You can actually check yr own feet by wetting them and then standing on dry tiles or some paper to see what sort of print they leave. It shows if your arches are low or high, which effects how yr ankle rotates and this in turn can affect yr knees and so on...
Have a look on the internet as I probably haven't explained it very well lol!
I'm hoping to get back into it next week. I find it hard as I'm very unfit, but I'm definitely improving, even if it is very slowly lol! Xx

Nattymo said:
Have a great day with the girls tomorrow!
xx

Hey Nattymo,

Sure we'll have some fun!

...it'll be us soon!!! Xx

Last edited:
Maverick said:
Glad your hols have been sooo relaxing and sunny. Have a great day tomorrow, I hope going home doesn't depress you too much :) xx

Pommette said:
Ditto from me too and give Jules and Gail a hug from me.

Ooh thanks ladies...not long now! Will make sure I pass on LOADS of hugs from u all! Will try to get some piccys too if Gail and Jules don't mind xx

Hi Bess,

Well I wasn't going to bother with running shoes and started out in my old trainers, but it was quite quite a mistake. I soon began to have problems with my knee and had to stop. After reading up on running, I found out that there are different ways that your foot hits the ground, and if u wear the wrong shoes u can cause a lot of problems. So I went to a sports shop (cant remember the name off the top of my head but it was one of the big stores) and they tested my feet (just had to stand on a heat sensitive plate) and I got a pair that had been reduced to about £40 I think. They feel totally different to trainers...its like walking on air! And my knee has been ok since I got them, although I did have a problem recently but it was more my leg. You can actually check yr own feet by wetting them and then standing on dry tiles or some paper to see what sort of print they leave. It shows if your arches are low or high, which effects how yr ankle rotates and this in turn can affect yr knees and so on...
Have a look on the internet as I probably haven't explained it very well lol!
I'm hoping to get back into it next week. I find it hard as I'm very unfit, but I'm definitely improving, even if it is very slowly lol! Xx

I saw this advertised at DW fitness this week, and was thinking about investing in a new pair of trainers, will definately give it a try now!

Back