Disgusting Sun Topic Fatties Should be denied IVF!

Fattyfattyboomboom

Silver Member
Hey guys, I happen to see this discussion on the sun website...I was sooo sooo angry that I joined straight away and made a posting. My name is HOW DARE YOU
I have not in a long time see a discussion that has provoked so much anger in me in a while!!

Some of you may not like my chosen words...but I am afraid my anger may have gotten the best of me!! Let me know what you think!!

My comments are on page 3

Sun Online - Discussions - News - Should fat people get IVF on NHS?

Last edited:
I started reading it all but I can't continue. The stupidity of humanity makes my insides hurt sometimes. Unfortunately we (humanity) are naturally selfish people and there are many people out there who don't put the effort in to standing in the shoes of others. It's so easy for someone to say 'well I got pregnant without help so why should they get help?' or 'they should just lose weight, if they want it that much'.
People with that attitude should be pitied, because they must live very barren and unfulfilled lives. We all have basic human rights, like a right to bare children and eat food and find shelter and receive medical care - they are basic human rights that we, in this country, are lucky enough to 'expect' to receive from our government. We all pay into the tax pot and we all get something back from it. The idea that someone who is physically overweight or held back by their body in some way doesn't deserve to benefit from the society to which they contribute is pure discrimination.

Emerald
X

i understand....And maybe I shouldn't have risen to the ignorance....but I couldn't help myself. I read the first few and ignored the rest....No doubt they will start on me...but I strong enough to not let their opinions effect my REAL life. But it does sadden and anger me that people can think like that....

I think that if you can't get pregnant soley because of your weight, then you shouldn't get IVF on the NHS unless you can prove that you have tried your very best to loose it.

If a woman is infertile because of PCOS, for example, then her weight shouldn't be an issue. And, lets face it, most fertility issues have nothing to do with what someone weighs and is much more likely to be caused by an underlying condition like PCOS.

Hmmm I'm a little torn on this one. I loved your response it was all so true! I am not a fan of IVF personally as I have seen what it can do to families and individuals when it doesn't work but I think that as long as the person is healthy enough to cope with pregnancy and parenthood then why shouldn't that option be open to them?

I did agree with one point though about the NHS spending a staggering amount on the treatment when people are ying cus the NHS say their life saving drugs are just too expensive. I also agree with the person who was annoyed by women saying it is their 'right' to have a baby. It is no-ones right to have a baby it is a gift

I have been overweight since I was a teenager (between 14-18 stone) and I have been pregnant 10 times.

I have miscarried 4, had a stillbirth and have given birth to 5 extremely healthy babies. None of my miscarriages or stillbirth were caused by my weight. All my pregnancies were free of the so-called dangers for overweight women.

So being overweight certainly did not affect my ability to get pregnant. My hubby shakes willy at the end of the bed and wallop - I'm preggo :D

I think if you have infertility issues you have them whether you are skinny or large.

And the comments on the Sun's website disgusted me :mad:

I have been overweight since I was a teenager (between 14-18 stone) and I have been pregnant 10 times.

I have miscarried 4, had a stillbirth and have given birth to 5 extremely healthy babies. None of my miscarriages or stillbirth were caused by my weight. All my pregnancies were free of the so-called dangers for overweight women.

So being overweight certainly did not affect my ability to get pregnant. My hubby shakes willy at the end of the bed and wallop - I'm preggo :D

I think if you have infertility issues you have them whether you are skinny or large.

And the comments on the Sun's website disgusted me :mad:

ilove the highlighted bit hun

xxx

LOL - It's what my Nan used to say about Grandad. They had 11 babies and 2 miscarriages!

The comments on the website were pretty nasty. Some people are overweight through medical reasons and not always because they have a KFC addiction. Ignorance is the main reason for those kind of comments.

Yeah me too :sigh:

And MacDonalds.

And Pizza Hut.

and oh my god I could go on and on :break_diet:

Mmmmm KFC, why the hell did i type that bit!

i too am torn, i think if someone is struggling to get pregnant because they are overweight then loosing weight is obviously the first port of call, but when it comes to IVF no one should really be given preferential treatment and no one should be discriminated for being bigger or smaller. like it has been said having a baby is not a right. i do however think that if someone is overweight and struggling to get pregnant for that reason they should be trying to loose weight rather than trying to get IVF in order to get pregnant.

i do believe that someone overweight with a baby is more likely to give it a better life than an alcoholic or a drug addict.

well I agree with you all. Now I was struggling to get PG, I went try and get some help but was pushed away. I tried and tried ...and eventually lost weight, but as it happened, I didn't need the help as we got pg on our own. I am now 19.5 stone and PG with my second child....so weight is and was not an issue, I think it may have just been the wrong time and we didn't plan it right. And your are right....having a baby is not a RIGHT and it is a GIFT and I feel that if people are willing to lose weight (if that is the only issue- which is is unlikely to ever been just on it's own) then it should be held off till they can get to a weight their bodies can handle. The only thing I would say the FAT will effect is the delivery, as the fat around the hips can only be pushed so far so a lot of time the baby will be engaged for a while...and only dialate to a certain cm, which is why sections are needed sometimes.

i do believe that someone overweight with a baby is more likely to give it a better life than an alcoholic or a drug addict.

so so so true

I am the person that they are all talking about on the Sun forum:D and have walked away from the discussion as I don't have the time or energy to get in to a heated discussion where I might be expected to justify my "need" to have a child!

I am overweight because I have PCOS. No other reason, when my PCOS was controlled by the contraceptive pill I was average weight etc, as soon as I came off the pill and all of my PCOS symptoms reared their ugly heads, wham the weight went on!

Approximately 6 stone later and after trying numerous diets and failing I have come to the decision that SW is the way to go and I will stick to it until I am at goal.

Yes PCOS does make it more difficult to lose weight but it doesn't make it impossible! I know that for sure. It takes longer and is harder but it is achieveable.

My husband and I would love a child more than anything and our life is more than ready for one. We could afford to have private fertility treatment but chose not to until I have lost weight. This isn't because I think that "thinnner" people make better parents or because I think that all pregnancy related health issues are down to being "fat" it is because I actually don't want to get any bigger which is what pregnancy would mean, I don't want to be at a higher risk of a c-section and I don't want to put myself at risk of Diabetes which PCOS sufferers are already at risk of.

I pity some of the posters on that thread and their ignorance to what makes a good parent and what makes a bad parent but more than anything I feel shocked at their lack of sympathy for people that can't have children. Yes it's not a right but it's bloody hard to deal with :D

Right, I will crawl back in to my syn directory now :p

i was the same with my hubby they used to say he threw his underpants on bed and i was pregnant, i had one boy then had a miscarriage and then two more boys the last one being an emergency c section and since then no matter how many times i didn't take the pill i have never caught with second hubby so was sterilised a few years ago
unfortunately as soon as i ever found out i was pregnant my weight just ballooned and it wasn't through overeating i had quite a big baby first off 9lb 2oz and then never lost the baby weight cos i was pregnant a year later so gained more then had the miscarriage and gained even more and then had a smaller baby(7lb 10oz) then never could shift the weight and just under 2 years later had my little elephant (10lb 2oz) and obviously gained even more i am not a big eater i actually don't eat enough so my weight not gained by filling my face as they seem to think we all are in that article

every woman should have the chance to be a mum whilst (as the mum of three special needs children ) it is one of the hardest most demanding jobs you can ever have it can be the most rewarding!

we can't all be the perfect weight to have children but whatever weight we are we should never be stopped either!!!

they ought to wind their necks in and stick their heads back up their ar*es where they belong

rant over

Well.. what a can of worms that has opened? Im torn too - like a few others and tbh I dont know what to say...

I fell pg with my first daughter around the weight I am now - it must have been - no probs what so ever and I was heavier with my 2 daughter - again no probs and like a few it happened so quick?! Hmmm...

God some ppl are so cruel - so if the mans firing blank and the woman overweight no help allowed - i think thats crap!

Back