Disheartened

Sammi N

Anything but Regular
Hi everyone, I don't want to moan too much so i'll keep it brief. What I thought would make me feel better about myself and the diet has done the complete opposite.

I rode my bike around the village block twice yesterday and felt fantastic. I have decided to do this a few times a week till I get more energy and thought it would help with toning as I lose. I jumped on the scales this morning and it shows a gain of a 1lb. I feel utter crap that I have stuck to the diet regimentally and can't understand why a little bit of exercise would make me gain.

I would like to add that I weigh myself on my wi fit board and wondered how accurate readings are on these if anyone else has used them or uses them to weigh themselves.

I don't want to give up the exercise as it makes me feel good after I have done it, it's a real achievement feeling at present. Tho if it is likely to make that much difference i'd rather keep to losing than tone for now. I have even upped my water intake and managed to drink 7 pints yesterday throughtout the day and still didn't make a difference! :(

Last edited:
i have been 100% for 5 weeks now and this week my weight lose was not good.

Don't weigh yourself in the week, wait for the propper day so you get a true reading.

Your weight might differ from day to day so don't be down hearted you'll be fine.

xxxx:D

It could be a little water retention, i often have this throughout the week, i dont think a bike ride would make too much difference to your weight loss if you keep slow and steady, i do light exercise, sit ups and up various bit and bobs just try not to overdo it.

As for the wii fit not sure how accurate they are, might be better with a good set of scales, or if you can manage (i cant) wait for weigh in day.

im sure it will come off, hang on in there, good luck hun x

Our wii fit is not accurate at all. I have a very expensive pair of scales that stay in the same place all of the time and seem pretty accurate, but the Wii fit often weights differently and not the same different amounts if you see what I mean.

Also the wii fit depends on exactly where on the floor you put it etc....(or at least it does on ours) so I wouldn't get too disheartened.

I have stopped weighing every day as there seem to be too many variables, however from week to week it should all even out.

Jess

Heya love I spoke to my cdc and she told me that muscle weighs more than fat thats why when you exercise sometimes it can make u put on weight. Although the redeeming factor is to watch those inches around your body get more toned and drop off at the same time :)
smile hunny you've done so well so far and if the exercise is making you feel good then thats the most important thing as psychologically you need to be strong as well a physically. xxx

Hiya - please don't despair! When you start to exercise, your muscles store more water cos thats what they need to burn the extra energy. You can therefore get temporary lulls in your weight loss or even small gains. If you carry on with that exercise it levels out - the important thing to remember is that you have underlying FAT loss and it WILL show through so keep your chin up, stay on the bike cos its great for your health (and your weight!) and go for it!! You're doing a great job and making huge steps towards improving your health!!!! xxxx

Hi Sammi
I feel the same at the moment. I'm currently on day9 and for my first week I got weighed on day 5 when I lost 8lbs (which i was really chuffed with) since then I've been using my wii fit daily and it's shown I haven't lost anything else Thursday.
I feel totally gutted at the moment and not sure if I should cut out my meal on SS+ and do SS until my next weigh in
Any idea's to get me back on track. I have 6stone to lose so can't afford to mess around loosing 1 or 2 lb a week

Well i'm feeling motivated again now! I do feel great when i go out on the bike and will be going shortly.

I feel smaller in my clothes so i know the weight is shifting from somewhere. I wont be paying too much attention to the scales from now on knowing that im prob gaining muscle than just not losing. As long as i stay 100% and keep myself going as i am im sure that the loss will come one day but much prefer it reflecting in my clothes than on a digital screen. I shall keep that in mind and get back into the exercise buzz and hopefully look forward to either lbs losses or inches next week.

One thing i didnt do at the beginning was take measurements and i have taken them all this morning, that way i know if im disappointed with my weight result im sure the inches will tell me the opposite (fingers crossed anyway hehe)

Hi Sammi
I feel the same at the moment. I'm currently on day9 and for my first week I got weighed on day 5 when I lost 8lbs (which i was really chuffed with) since then I've been using my wii fit daily and it's shown I haven't lost anything else Thursday.
I feel totally gutted at the moment and not sure if I should cut out my meal on SS+ and do SS until my next weigh in
Any idea's to get me back on track. I have 6stone to lose so can't afford to mess around loosing 1 or 2 lb a week

Well from my experience using the wii to weigh id say steer clear from it and just wait for your offical weigh in. If you are doing the diet properly then there def will be a positive loss and one that you should be happy with Polly. I am at the conclusion that the more i scale hop the more i lose motivation. Keep at the exercising but just avoid getting caught up with the scales on it. I discovered that by moving it around the front room (after Jess1980 mentioned) It did weigh me different everytime so im not taking any notice of them anymore.

We are all here for encouragement for eachother so aslong as we stick to it we can only get good results. Good luck at your next weigh in and let us know how you get on.

For the rest of your posts peeps thank you very much. Im having a good day today so taking everything positively and am more optomistic for next week. Essay over now x

Hi Sammi

Glad you're feeling upbeat again :)

It's definitely a good idea to take your measurements as if you're going to exercise the scales might not reflect your efforts. Any weight "gain" won't be muscle though as you're not on enough calories to build muscle - even if you were on a normal diet it's very difficult for most women to gain muscle hence the protein powders, supplements (and in some cases steroids) that female bodybuilders have to take even though they're pumping iron virtually all day every day and they still don't get mega-huge compared with the men.

It's more probable that your muscles are retaining water whilst reparing themselves after your exercise.

KD has quoted on previous threads that research suggests doing too much cardio whilst on a VLCD can burn excess lean mass and reduce your metabolic rate. Whilst on the lower CD plans stick to toning and gentle cardio for the best results. :)

Thanks Serena, your post was very informative and I feel I have a better understanding now. I'm going to steer clear of the bike this week to see if there is a difference in loss to see if it is the possibility of my muscles retaining water.

Sammi,

It's definately muscles that weight more. Years ago I gave didn't have a car from May to September so rode 7 miles to work each day on my bike and 7 miles home.
After a while I found I had dropped a dress size - from a 14 to a 12 (sigh, those were the days!) but I had gained 7 lbs. I asked a PE teacher about this and she explained about muscles being heavier than fat - hence the gain.
Keep on cycling girl!!

OOps! just read Serena's post properly and maybe I'm wrong about continuing to cycle - but it's still true what happened to me. Would gentle cycling be ok though? I'd have thought so?

Sammi,

It's definately muscles that weight more. Years ago I gave didn't have a car from May to September so rode 7 miles to work each day on my bike and 7 miles home.
After a while I found I had dropped a dress size - from a 14 to a 12 (sigh, those were the days!) but I had gained 7 lbs. I asked a PE teacher about this and she explained about muscles being heavier than fat - hence the gain.
Keep on cycling girl!!

OOps! just read Serena's post properly and maybe I'm wrong about continuing to cycle - but it's still true what happened to me. Would gentle cycling be ok though? I'd have thought so?

Hiya Bess

I'm not disputing that volume-for-volume muscle weighs more than fat (sorry that comes across on t'internet as me being uppity but I'm not :)).

If you were cycling from May-Sept you still only gained muscle at the rate of a lb and a bit per month (that's assuming all of the gain was muscle - some may have been water retained by the muscles) and I'm guessing that you weren't on a vlcd when you gained weight/dropped a size?

What I'm trying to get at is that you so often hear the "muscle weighs more than fat" line quoted the moment someone says they've, say, gone for a couple of walks that week yet the scales fluctuated upwards by 2lbs - "oh you must have put on muscle" - err no!

I was also quoting in context of VLCDs which is why I'd put it in bold, because the "normal" rules of cardio=faster loss don't apply because it's not a "normal" diet if that makes sense. xx

I'm going to steer clear of the bike this week to see if there is a difference in loss to see if it is the possibility of my muscles retaining water.

Gentle cardio should be fine on a vlcd but people have to be motivated to do it for the health benefits rather than thinking it will help with losses, because other than sticking to CD 100% you can't do much else to lose as quickly as possible.

If you are approaching exercise more for appearance rather than for health (if it's more for health then water retention showing on the scales won't undo the cardiovascular benefits so no reason to steer clear ;)) then weight bearing/toning exercises would probably prove to be much more beneficial in the long run.

I did toning exercises which involved some gentle cardio all the way through CD even though it never improved my losses. My patience was finally rewarded when I got a stone or so away from target and enough fat had gone for my improved muscle tone to be revealed...I still have bingo wings etc but believe me they're a damn sight better than they were :D

Last edited:
hiya answer about wii fit, when you lay it on floor and turn on it takes a few minutes to settle, if i weigh 3 times in ten mins, first reading is always heavier, 2nd and 3rd the same, today i weighed slightly over my body mass was up o.14, but i dont take it to seriously, as long as its only tiny bit, it will be down tommorrow, plus totm, so does fluctuate slightly, i weigh on it daily, cant help it lol,
there is always exactly 1lb difference between my wii and cdc scales. so keep using wii if you want just try it a few times within 10 mins, and see what works for urs xxxx

The wii fit scales are huuuuuugely inaccurate, I could get a difference of 10lbs in 5 minutes!!! Also, if you do lots of exercise you'll be building muscle which weighs more than fat but you'll lose inches so make sure your CDC measures you too! You're doing great, don't let yourself get disheartened!

Thanks ladies, I'm officially sticking to cdcs scales. I have taken the attitude that as long as I am keeping to the diet 100% it's got to be doing something. Whether its lbs or inches I know that I have every opportunity to reach goal. I'll just focus into keeping 100% and getting to goal :)

I'M FED UP
i've just got back from my 2nd weigh in and only lost 2lb
I lost 8.5 inches of fat but why hasn't the weight come off too
I need to keep motivated but it's hard seein results like this
HELP

:eek: 8.5 inches is AMAZING hun! very well dont on that and 2lbs of fat is even better :D dont feel down your doing sooo well

Back