Disheartened

JimJam87

Determined to do this
So I've just been to join my local group and really didn't like the way Image Therapy is done. The C was really nice, and he seems very supportive etc, but as I've attended a group previously i have this expectation in my head of what Image Therapy should be like. He went round every single person's losses and gains, what they're overall loss was, asked what they'd done right/wrong this week, how they could improve for next week and what they're goals for next week were. I understand that it helps to see where people are going wrong and what others are doing so well but it was soooooooooooooo drawn out, me and my mum nearly fell asleep! My previous C never mentioned losses/gains, only the SOW and any awards (stone etc), and the whole half hour was filled with recipe ideas and tips. I really don't think I can sit through 45 minutes of that every week, so much so that neither me, my mum or aunty joined! Now I feel really disheartened as I've been looking forward to it all week! I don't feel like I have the will power to go it alone, but I am gonna give it a go. Just feel so flat after being so excited and optimistic :( rant over...sorry! x

I think that is basically what Image Therapy is, they usually go round the whole group going through losses and gains.
At my current group it does tend to be done the way you said your previous class was run, and I have to admit, I much prefer it, ours is only run like this because sometimes there can be 90 people through the door so it would just take too long to do it the proper way.
In a couple of weeks we are changing to 2 groups back to back to make them smaller so I'm hoping it will still be done he same way.
I find it much more enjoyable, everybody still has a chance to say if they are struggling with anything anyway, and I find that I tend not to want to go if I haven't done well that week as its embarrassing having the whole class told you've put on weight, so the other way keeps me going to group!

Yeah that is SW way of Image Therapy I'm afraid. Some consultants do differ though. I know our old one was like your old one & one of the main reasons for leaving was that when we went digital, it was how it was going to have to be done.

Ours is exactly like that JimJam, you don't have to stay all the time if you don't want to. It depends on how much time I have as to whether I stay. I think it is nice though to support the group wherever I can though and you can pick up some great tips. I would imagine they have a formula that they are expected to follow, however, I wouldn't be embarrased about excusing yourself before the meeting has ended if you feel so inclined.

Last edited:
Ok, dont hate me. BUT this sounds like an excuse to me.

I know how you feel though, I only stayed to group the last 3 weeks and I have to say it really inspires me. Also there has been a study into people who stay and dont (for all slimming groups not just SW) and its something like people who stay have 40% more loss than those who dont stay.
As you get to know the people in group you really are happy to hear their success and share in it and support those who have wobbled.
Yes class takes a while, but whats 1.5hrs out of a week? I have to wait 2.5 hrs till group after work, then it takes a further hour to get home, trust me Id rather not stay as I dont get home much before 9pm (when I have left home at 7am!) BUT I need to go as I cant do this alone, I cant I know it now and if a long Tuesday night means I get to goal, then Im ready to commit to it, me, and my future success.

The way you described it is exactly how it's done at our group too.I actually quite enjoy hearing how others have done that week and sharing my week :p

Ugh I hate it too. I'm so shy that I spend the session getting all anxious waiting for her to come around to me and then stumbling my way through a forced public conversation about my week. I have stayed every week, hoping that there will be more advice, ideas and inspiration from the C, but it's really tedious and nerve-wracking for me I'm afraid.

Ugh I hate it too. I'm so shy that I spend the session getting all anxious waiting for her to come around to me and then stumbling my way through a forced public conversation about my week. I have stayed every week, hoping that there will be more advice, ideas and inspiration from the C, but it's really tedious and nerve-wracking for me I'm afraid.

Tell her honey, I am sure she would understand and then not solicit a reply from you if you are not forthcoming. Give it a try. :eek:

The group scenario is just not everybody's cup of tea. I've been to group in the past and it did nothing for me. I do however LOVE the slimming world 'diet' so this time around I joined Body Optomise. I know I am motivated enough to go it alone with access to all the info I need. As your mum and aunty are interested too could you all join on-line and form your own mini support group to spur each other on?!

Im not keen on the whole image therapy either we dont share recipes or anything she just shows us a different low syn snack each week. i do just go and be weighed most of the time and it really keeps me going i love the weigh in lady and if someone else is weighing me then i wont go off track.

It's not an excuse...I was really looking forward to going back. I can't justify paying £5 per week to effectively just use the scales either. I'm gonna go to my aunty's house after work tomorrow and get weighed there x

I do bodyoptimise online too with my mum and OH. Mum treated me to it and so I just help them with explaining how to do it and helping them choose the foods.
We're loving it and I don't worry about groups which overwhelmed me in the past.

It's not an excuse...I was really looking forward to going back. I can't justify paying £5 per week to effectively just use the scales either. I'm gonna go to my aunty's house after work tomorrow and get weighed there x

As there's a couple of you, as someone else said perhaps you could make a mini support group of your own? Meet once a week to chat, report back, share tips and weigh in? It could work in motivating you all...

I agree with Chicaloca 100%. I hated it for the first few weeks but must admit I do see the benefit of staying now. Wouldn't say I enjoy it but I do enjoy seeing the scales move down and that is why I will keep going.

The first week after meeting I was like "A HOUR AND A HALF CLAPPING?!? That's how I'm losing the weight then" it just seemed so long. But after that it was fine, I really look forward to meetings now and I enjoy applauding other peoples losses, I like giving them the stickers and weighing them in.

Sad I know :D

Plus its about 1.5 hours out of my week and thats nothing if during that time I get to pick up tips, hints and recipes for good losses the next week :D

Oh well, if you don't like it then don't go. Simple.

However...... if you give it a chance you may find you like it. This is the way IT should be done (individual motivation and group experience) so each individual gets a minute or two in the spotlight and the group helps as and when they can.
If you listen to people they can offer tips, adivce, support etc, that's what IT is all about.
Every loss, however small, should be celebrated and those who gain should be applauded for going to group because so many people give it a miss.

Did you listen to any of the people talk about their good or bad weeks? Did you offer any support or advice? Or did you make your mind up after the first ten minutes?

Like anything group related, you get out what you put in.

I didn't think I'd like IT either when I first went. It seemed boring and crass but I now stay every week and have found that if you look at it as a support session, not just for you but everyone else, its actually a really nice way to help along the weight loss.

Did you listen to any of the people talk about their good or bad weeks? Did you offer any support or advice? Or did you make your mind up after the first ten minutes?

Of course I listened to the other people, I clapped and supported them like everyone else, I didn't just sit there with a face on. No advice was offered to any other member by anyone else as it was more of a one on one with the C.

I suppose different people prefer different things.

Oh sorry, it was when you said you nearly fell asleep that did it for me!!!
I'm surprised no-one offered support though, it's very much the case in a lot of groups that people interact and offer help and advice when people are struggling.
My consultant asks the group what we can do to help and what others would do etc.

Back