Dissapointed

mandi-lou

I've been eating a lot more fruit since starting pp on tuesday but have just been told that we're supposed to stick to our 5 a day!
The class was really busy on tuesday so she never mentioned this (or i never heard) Have been to a couple of exercise classes and will do one of my dvds today so will hopefully be ok. Also haven't used all my 49 pp's.

so why are you disappointed??

I guess the 'free' foods are still suppose to be consumed within a reasonable portion control? A bit like how Slimming World has 'free' foods, doesn't mean you can eat a tonne of the stuff everyday and practically lose weight.

Fruit compared to veg has a lot more natural sugar in it, so I guess limiting your fruit intake to a reasonable level i.e 5 portions a day is a practical way of ensuring you still lose weight, otherwise your sugar levels will be very high - even though it's natural sugar.

I think this is one of the reasons (along with the more complex calculations) I have stuck to Points rather than change to ProPoints - I've gotten use to what a 0 point portion is with alot of the discover 0 point foods.

However - the weight watchers site does imply you can eat as much free food as is necessary to feel full?

That wasn't mentioned when they rolled out the 'Amazing' new plan.... They had to make or sound amazing to get us to change ( I'm still doing discovery tho).... As the weeks have gone by and people have gained they've taken most of the " FREE" fruit off them, which is why lots are changing back to Discovery.

I 'stupidly' thought that i could eat a lot more fruit. But thinking about it fruit does have more sugar so would have to be careful. At least i haven't used up my 49pp for the week so i should be ok.

Did you try the pp's Tupper?

Think i'll give the pp a go for a couple of weeks then go back to Discover if i don't like it. Didn't think they'd mentioned the 5 a day Tracer and when i looked through the book i don't think there's a mention of it.

The thing with fruit is it's not actually "free" it's "zero point"- this was a distinction made clear to us at meeting, though I think that was cos we have a great leader, I'm betting not many leaders have been so clear. It's the same as anything else, you still have to use some moderation. You don't necessarily have to stick to your 5 a day, but you can't just eat all the fruit in sight and expect to still lose weight.
It's all about learning what works for you, and being sensible :)

Because it's worked into your daily allowance. If you put the nutritional values from a bag of carrots into your calculator, it will come up as having points. But they have worked out your allowance to allow to have a certain amount of zero point foods. Obviously for everyone that amount will be slightly different, and there WILL be a limit on it. But within reason, it's taken into account in your points allowance.

I just think that there was a lot of us new on tuesday. it took 40-50mins just to get through the line! Hopefully on tuesday i'll come away feeling more confident.

Hi Mandi-Lou, I haven't actually tried the new pp plan myself. I started the discover plan only a few weeks before they started the new plan, and I've been doing the whole thing by myself. Bought the books (eating out guide, shopping guide etc) off Ebay and I weigh myself on my WiiFit each week. I would try the new plan because it does seem healthier, but the calculations are a little more complex so I find the old plan easier to 'guess at' when I'm in the supermarket and I don't have any of my materials with me.

I think on both plans the stuff that they label as 0 points start to rack-up. E.g. a portion of sugar-free jelly is 10 cals, so one portion (250 ml of jelly) is free. But if you start increasing your portion size it stops being 0 and starts to become 0.5 points etc...

I guess your leader should have explained that the 'free' stuff is more '0 points per portion'. But it's not the end of the world - It's a great way of using your points if you're still within range! Very healthy :) I tend to have fruit in the form of juice (fresh), rather than fruit pieces, and have tons of veg with dinner.

I've been tracking all my food online and at the side of the screen on the PP tracker, there's a little grid called track healthy checks. It's there for you to see if you're having enough liquids, dairy fruit and veg and healthy oils. Once you've clocked the ideal amount of each fo the four categories there it comes up with a little smiley face. The fruit and veg section gets a smiley face at 5 portions, but there is room for 8 portions on the tracker.

Our leader never mentioned this to us at all, but I'm presuming that your 5 a day is a minimum to stay healthy with all necessary nutrients etc, maybe the 8 they ask you to track is the ideal?

Yeah I think the 0point fruit is something that leaders lead to explain better. The way our leader put it 'Don't go bananas on bananas' - she explain that although they are zero points they still have calories and as with everything to eat in moderation.

your only meant to have 3 bits of fruit a day apparently to make up your 5 a day portions, all the rest is meant to be veg the reason for this is because fruit still has a very high sugar count therefore although its good for you too much will actually backfire the whole healthy option of it, if that makes sense, with veg your alright because with your main bits like broc, carrots, caul etc etc they are very low in cals and sugar counts, but fruit is high in cals and sugar so although its free... its also wise to limit to 3 a day

Just if you're interested I watched a documentary about a weight loss camp/clinic which people stayed at to try and lose weight and conquer the psychological reasons for over eating. And this one man was addicted to oranges it's all he ate ever, and he had about 40 oranges a day and weighed over 40st!!! Can you believe it?!?!

For the calories in a banana you can have a kitkat...ridiculous isn't it.

And although people say it's "good sugar" in fruit, it's not, you body processes it exactly the same way as sugar in a chocolate bar, insulin goes up and stores the excess sugar as glycogen and fat.

Just if you're interested I watched a documentary about a weight loss camp/clinic which people stayed at to try and lose weight and conquer the psychological reasons for over eating. And this one man was addicted to oranges it's all he ate ever, and he had about 40 oranges a day and weighed over 40st!!! Can you believe it?!?!

And although people say it's "good sugar" in fruit, it's not, you body processes it exactly the same way as sugar in a chocolate bar, insulin goes up and stores the excess sugar as glycogen and fat.

Yeh its crazy the cals in fruit, but its fructose not sucrose that they have sugar wise...

I think its still better to eat the fruit for the other nutrients you get from it. Eg. Banana you gets lots of potassium or Apples have vit a, b1, c etc.

And although people say it's "good sugar" in fruit, it's not, you body processes it exactly the same way as sugar in a chocolate bar, insulin goes up and stores the excess sugar as glycogen and fat.[/QUOTE]

Your body doesn't process refined sugars in the same way as fruit sugar at all. There is quite a big difference actually....fructose is broken down gradually and into sucrose + glycogen. And fructose has a much lower GI than sucrose (cane sugar).

Fruit also has more fibre and nutrients so leaves you feeling fuller for longer than eating that chocolate bar would.

This is why fructose is recommended to diabetics, in place of normal sugars.

it still causes a release in insulin causing it to be stored as glycogen and fat. gradual or not, the finite effect is the same. but yeah true on the nutrients, i'm not saying replace all fruit with a kitkat bar lol but trying to point out that you're still as likely to gain weight whilst eating fruit ie fat orange addicted american.

and it's sucrose thats broken down into glucose and fructose. fructose is a sugar monomer and there for can only be digested into its constituent elements, not down into any other sugar form.

As sucrose is a sequence of glucose monomers and frutose monomers bonded together by a condensation reaction...ie the removal of water.

Back