Do u or dont u?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah i agree with u there if it slowed down then it wud be something to look at

I will, but it would be mad to cut everything out now or I will have nothing left to cut when things do slow down! Im 24 stone, Ive got a long, long, long way to go! ;) Need to leave myself plenty of leeway for when things get tougher, which they definitely will!

I used to do this. I don't any more.

This was my thoughts on it - yes I still lost weight, no I wasn't detrimental to my losses, yes it kept me on track

This is now my thoughts on it - without it I can lose more weight, how can it not be detrimental to my losses, it makes me want even more "off plan" things each week and I don't know where to stop.

It takes a reduction of 3500 calories to lose a pound. If I have a pizza (2000 calories) tesco luxury coleslaw (around 500 calories) plus a big bag of chocolate (1000 calories) there's a pound I haven't lost.

It really is each to their own but I'm not a fan of this any longer, it's a recipe for disaster in my book. I now have a bar of chocolate and count it as my 15 syns for the day (I normally have 10 syns).

As for flexible syns - I thought this was for "special occassions" when you want some more flexibility? Each to their own though.

I will, but it would be mad to cut everything out now or I will have nothing left to cut when things do slow down! Im 24 stone, Ive got a long, long, long way to go! ;) Need to leave myself plenty of leeway for when things get tougher, which they definitely will!

i wasnt meaning that about u chic i meant me lol

It takes a reduction of 3500 calories to lose a pound. If I have a pizza (2000 calories) tesco luxury coleslaw (around 500 calories) plus a big bag of chocolate (1000 calories) there's a pound I haven't lost.

Ouch, to be fair I would never go that far! :eek: I restrict my Saturday Syn Extravaganza to something like a takeaway curry with rice & onion bhajis and a couple of bottles of wine (to share). I dont remember the last time I ate takeaway pizza and if I did I definitely wouldn't let myself add stuff like luxury coleslaw and chocolate as well. And if I had pizza that would absolutely be *IT* for the week! On holiday I planned my food in advance so it didnt go over syn-budget then let myself loose on the wine - but that adds up to about 57 syns for 2 bottles = 1140 calories - so even if one person had 2 bottles of wine *every night* (!!) at 3500 calories a pound that only adds up to just over 2 lbs you could gain in a whole week!

Also I notice a lot of the people saying they wouldn't do this dont have as much to lose as the 20-25+ stoners amongst us, so that makes total sense, you couldn't get away with it at that weight, but similarly it would be madness for those of us who *are* this huge to restrict ourselves too much this soon - or where the hell are we going to go when we *do* start to slow down?

I didn't say it was a takeaway pizza - this is a normal Tesco pizza, so not even loaded with cheese like a takeaway one. I don't actually like pizza from a takeaway. It's not a lot of food in my opinion, I can easily eat a whole pizza. The Tesco luxury coleslaw is so creamy, but full of fat, hence the calories.

I was just making a point that if people added up the amount of calories in their "treats" then they may be surprised. I was.

You are quite correct though in the fact that you can get away with a bit more when you have more to lose. I could get away with it but I like to know I've done all I can to get a loss, so the treat had to go.

I always have a treat after weigh-in I have to or I wouldnt stick to plan otherwise!
Next week I am planning to go out for dinner!

I have, as a habit, a bourneville bar after weigh in. I have this no matter how I have done at weigh in. Its therefore a habit rather than a treat (and within my syns anyway) Weigh in day is just another day for me. I don't even start counting my syns from that day. I start on a Monday, and then count down throughout the week, having at least 5 a day and maybe saving a few up for the weekend. I weigh in on Tuesday night and because its just another day I don't feel the need to have a 'treat night'

Like Circles, I don't really get it to be honest. I used to have treat night every night, its what got me here in the first place! But as Circles also said, if it works for you, go for it - just remember if you STS or gain one week that its entirely possible that treat night is the reason - just like I have to remember that I might have STS one week cos I saved up 70 syns for vodka at the weekend!

One of the many times I did slimming world I went with a friend and we used to go for a treat afterwards, usually McDonalds or Burger King but always something VERY high synned. We kept doing it because we both were losing (apart from weeks with parties etc where we expected not to lose) but she was taking Xenical (a very contentious issue between me and her because she never told our C and I always felt like that was 'cheating' haha) so it meant that her loses were 3-5lbs every week and mine were only 1-1.5lbs.
This time round I go on my own and tend not to have a treat (although there have been 2 weeks when I have - but it's stress days etc when I would have come off plan anyway) and I average about 3lb a week loss (again, not counting weeks where I expect not to lose due to parties etc).

I usually have a treat on Tuesday nights however, at most it is a shop brought ham sandwich (no mayo etc) and a shortbread bar. So certainly nothing major and it helps keep me on track. At the end of the day I look at it this way. There are certain things in my life that I am not going to give up. If I stop losing I stop losing however, I know I can make up for those foods in other areas.

I didn't say it was a takeaway pizza - this is a normal Tesco pizza, so not even loaded with cheese like a takeaway one. I don't actually like pizza from a takeaway. It's not a lot of food in my opinion, I can easily eat a whole pizza. The Tesco luxury coleslaw is so creamy, but full of fat, hence the calories.

Sorry, I guess I just meant 'real' pizza I guess, as in not a homemade tortilla wrap/Smash/whatever version with lo fat cheese and all that. :confused: Basically I just would not eat a pizza *and* all the other gubbins as well because I know Id put on. My treat nights usually add up to somewhere around 80 syns and over the week that makes my average day 20-odd syns.

Aaaanyway, Im over and out cos I seem to be getting up a few people's noses :eek: :D

I wouldn’t worry missus ur only voicing ur opinion like i did to begin with but then some people come on and say things that theres no need to.. all i asked was who did and didn’t and it lead to a whole debate lol:)

Not getting up my nose at all - these threads prompt good discussions, just didn't want people to think I was a piggy with a huge pizza dripping with cheese and all that jazz!

There'll always be those who do, those who don't, and those who do a little bit ;-)

I wouldn’t worry missus ur only voicing ur opinion like i did to begin with but then some people come on and say things that theres no need to.. all i asked was who did and didn’t and it lead to a whole debate lol:)

Thanks Christie - we're all voicing our opinions are we not? As I just said, these threads always prompt a discussion. It's not a case of "no need to say anything", it's a case of people not quite liking what's been said.

You asked who does and who doesn't - people explain that they don't, and why they don't.

Debate is good.:D

Rewarding yourself for losing weight with food isn't really teaching yourself new eating habits and new eating habits is what will make the weight loss stick and be maintained long term. If you have a big amount of weight to lose you can probably get away with cheating after a weigh in because naturally your losses will be larger than most anyway so if you loose a lb less than you would by sticking to it 100% its not going to make much of a difference to you but carry on with the weigh in blow outs and when you get closer to your goal its going to cause you to struggle that extra 1lb a week is going to make or break you.

I used to live to eat now i eat to live. Yes its good to treat yourself from time to time but that can be done easily within the confines of the diet I will save syns or pay syns back if i go over one day. Naturally skinny people subconsciously do this if they have a cake in the coffee shop they'll probably eat less at tea time.

I don't, I'm too worried if I do that it will affect my weight loss in noticeable way and for me personally that wouldn't be worth it.

Also I notice a lot of the people saying they wouldn't do this dont have as much to lose as the 20-25+ stoners amongst us, so that makes total sense, you couldn't get away with it at that weight, but similarly it would be madness for those of us who *are* this huge to restrict ourselves too much this soon - or where the hell are we going to go when we *do* start to slow down?

I'm sorry, but on what basis do you say this? I consider being in the obese category to still be in the 'lots to lose' group, no matter what I currently weigh or plan to set as my target.

This completely irrelevant to the question, and seems to suggest (albeit I'm sure it was not your intention) that the opinion of someone who not in your weight category on this subject is not valid. At the endo f hte day we are all overweight to varying degrees. It shouldn't matter how much we still have to loose.

The do you or don't you question is is purely a mind thing as far as I can see. Some people need treat night to keep on plan, other find treat night makes them stray off plan. I have no idea how it would affect me as I've never even tried it - & before I am accused of being a goody two shoes here I do not mean that i have never been off plan - just that I don't do it every week after weigh in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back