Do you all have the low carb meals??

TrueBlueAngel

I WILL be thin!!
I have been doing SnS on and off for a while and aiming to lose a stone before 20th December when its my staff Christmas party and have a dress to get into. Unfortunately there are a couple of evenings off before that due to other Christmas get togethers. For all the time I've ever done this diet, I have never had a meal on top of the three packets. My losses still tend to be good so I don't bother. I tried once, and felt really guilty eating a little chicken and veg and it bumping up the calories, for all they were, I never did it again.
Am I the only one who does this or does everyone have these meals??

It's suppose to be 3 packs + low carb meal or 4packs otherwise you're not getting enough calories and nutrients. I have 4 packs x

I do 3 + a meal because when I do 4 packs I get kicked out of ketosis.

Slim and Save have suggested that if I want to do 4 packs just to avoid chicken soup, spag Bol or bars and I might be ok as they are all much higher in carbs, but I'm finding it easier just to have any 3 packs + a small ham and egg salad at night :).

3 packs is not enough you need to start having some protein + veg or have a 4th pack to make sure your getting everything you need x

I do 3 + a meal because when I do 4 packs I get kicked out of ketosis. Slim and Save have suggested that if I want to do 4 packs just to avoid chicken soup, spag Bol or bars and I might be ok as they are all much higher in carbs, but I'm finding it easier just to have any 3 packs + a small ham and egg salad at night :). 3 packs is not enough you need to start having some protein + veg or have a 4th pack to make sure your getting everything you need x

I wonder if I'm getting kicked out of ketosis because of this. Was it you that posted on another thread saying you had trouble with finding the right balance on S&S so they advised you to change something? I'm having issues and tried asking their advice but got told they didn't know so keep going and see what happens. This is my 9th day on S&S and I have not lost 1 pound since moving over but have managed to gain and then re-loose the gain but never actually drop below the weight I was when I moved over.

Hi,

It sounds like carbs could possibly be your problem because i know when I'm not in ketosis my weight just stays the same and doesn't move for days on end so you really need to watch your carbs incase your having the same issue.

Slim and Save told me that the Simplicity plan is around (70g) of carbs a day which is just too high for some people so i was advised to avoid having any of the highest carb packs like the Spag Bol, Chicken Soup and all Bars just to see what happened.

I changed from having any 4 packs a day to having 3 shakes (because shakes are the lowest carbs) + a low carb salad and was in ketosis and started losing weight within 2 days.

Can I ask if your drinking any fizzy drinks because i was advised to limit my Dr Pepper Zero + Coke Zero to 1 can a day as the aspartame can cause a weight loss stall in some people.

Just a few ideas that might help x

Last edited:
Wow thanks, you are far more helpful than S&S have been.

I've only had Dr Pepper Zero in the last 2 days (typically as I've come back down to a more reasonable weight again) so doubtful it's that, but having said that their own water flavourings are loaded with aspartame and I drink those all day as I struggle with water otherwise.

I decided on a new approach which is to try 4 shakes a day for 2 days as that way I'm not risking eating anything that I've mistaken for being allowed (yes I am that paranoid right now) and seeing what happens. If it works then great I know it's something I'm doing wrong, if it doesn't work my plan is to come back to LT and use the rest of my S&S stuff (being as I thought I was being clever and ordering 4 weeks worth as I thought the OH was joining me on it) for refeed.

I did ask for advice on their forum but basically felt like I'd been told off as they started quoting delivery dates and my food diary at me and telling me I'm not giving anything chance to work. Surely 8 days is enough time for me to start to see something as they themselves said all these diets work the same so you get the same results. I beg to differ on that however.

You've actually given me more info in suggesting 2 things than they have so far. All they advised me to do is stick to it which in all honesty I'm scared to as my aps I use to predict my weight loss by charting your weight daily both said I was likely to reach goal about the 29th Nov, but since all this started I'm now looking at 22nd Dec. I'm mortified as even without my aps I knew I was half way 2 weeks ago so had worked out myself I only had about 4/5 weeks left which is why I bought in bulk, but now I'm lost as to what to do.

Hi,

I know how you feel because I was at my wits end, did you get your ketostix yet to check if your in ketosis yet cause they will be a great help.

The only way I stay in ketosis is to have 3 shakes + the lowest carb meal I can have so I normally avoid carby veg and stick to salad veg which is much lower so I've been having a bowl of lettuce with chopped onion, boiled egg and either cooked ham or chicken breast and so far so good although my losses have been slower than expected at just 3lb and 1lb on wks 2 and 3 :(.

So on an average day I have:

Decaf Tea with milk from allowance
10am - Milkshake
2pm - Milkshake
6pm - Egg salad with cooked ham or chicken breast or a Ham Omelette.
1 can Dr Pepper Zero
9-10pm - Milkshake
2ltrs of water throughout the day.

Just try a few days of keeping your carbs as low as possible and see how it goes, and make sure you leave 3hrs between each meal x

I dont have any sticks as yet, I ordered them but they haven't arrived yet. Oh and S&S told me not to bother with them.

They seem quite negative towards me, I must have upset them.

It's nothing personal my experience is that Slim and Save just don't want anyone posting and saying the diet isn't working for them. 95% of people can follow the diet and eat any 4 packs + milk and loss weight every week but then there is the 5% of us who have problems so they don't want us posting putting people off the diet that is why they try and switch it round on us and say we're doing something wrong.

They also told me not to rely on ketostix saying they don't work but that was just because I said i wasn't getting a positive result, since dropping to 3 packs + a protein meal I get a positive stick every morning so they do work :).

I had Monday night off for my birthday and I'm still not back into ketosis yet but I've got the dreaded headaches today so think the sticks should be positive again tomorrow so that's took 4 days which is about normal x

Last edited:
I got that feeling when they responded with "thousands of people post on forums that they loose weight with S&S so it works". Well goody for those thousands, what about those of us who are having issues? I honestly figured they would suggest things like you did, but so far the first person told me they didn't know anything about their competitors so couldn't advice me and just stay with the diet and see, and then I got this which may be their idea of giving honest advice, but I feel it's a little harsh as I'm genuinely concerned and thought hey would be a little more supportive and give me suggestions to try. I read this as almost being told off, maybe I'm being sensitive but I thought they would try and assure me a little more than quoting figures and dates at me.

Hi Kuromi,

The truth is with this type of diet it makes no difference as to if you follow lipotrim, lighter life, cambridge diet or slim & save the principles are the same and so are the results.

You had already been on plan with LT for however long and achieved great weight loss, but as with any diet the longer you are on the plan the weight loss will slow down. The day you switched to S&S and then got weighed the day after and had gained would of very likely been the same scenario had you still been on LT. On our plan you would be consuming around 650 calories per day and it would be impossible to gain real weight whilst on this level of calories.

Body weight increases and decreases daily so getting weighed every day is a sure recipe for disaster as we state in our brochure.

You ordered from us on the 11th of November and it was delivered on the 12th it is now the 20th so you have had our products 8 days and in this time you have tried 4 per day, 3 per day with a meal and 3 per day without a meal. You have not given any method of the plan chance to work and your body time to adjust before you have switched to another method of following the plan. Additionally our plan is not designed to be a 3 packs per day programme so it should not of been followed in this manner.

We have thousands of customers who have lost their weight following our plan so there is no doubt that the plan works, there is also many many customers who post on minimins independent forums who have switched over from lighter life, lipotrim, cambridge diet etc and are posting about how good their results are. I think had you given the transition a week before getting weighed you would of seen the results you where expecting and would still be on track and mentally focused.

Also to put your mind at rest, to gain 5lb over night would require you to consume 17,500 calories (1lb of fat = 3,500 calories) so I am more than confident this did not happen, so therefore had your weight gone up this would be purely down to water weight which is not fat weight and would of regulated itself within a few days.

Ketostix are highly unreliable and as such we do not recommend using them to gauge ketosis. High hydration levels usually render the results inadequate. You can generally tell if you are in ketosis based on the taste in your mouth.

However you choose to move forward I wish you good luck, but please try to keep to weighing once per week and give whichever plan you switch to long enough to work.

Hi KJ,

I don't know anything about Lipotrim but my guess would be that it is lower carb than slim and save so when you moved to slim and save and started having 4 packs a day the increase in carbs made your body store water which is why you had the initial gain of 4/5lb but after a few days this would have been released and your weight would have went back to normal. During this time you were on 4 packs but your weight wasn't moving which is exactly what happened to me so the packs you were having were probably just too high in carbs for you especially if you where having any spaghetti or bars.

I have been on the plan for 4wks now and I took Monday night off for my birthday and all I had was 1 meal consisting of meat with 2 slices of crusty bread (no potato or chips) and I went straight back on plan afterwards and today (4 days later) im still not back in ketosis yet so it will probably be tomorrow (Day5).

So from my own experience I know it can take me 5 days of being 100% to get back into ketosis so I can understand why slim and save had told you to wait a little longer if you had only been following the plan for 7 days. I really think if you stick to 3 packs plus a low carb meal for 5 days straight with no blips you will be back in ketosis and will start to see the weight flying off again :)

You could try just 4 shakes like you suggested but with your milk allowance that is still around 60g of carbs which is still quite high so unless you were planning on having 3 shakes without the milk allowance I think you would get faster results with 3 plus a meal :)

According to Atkins there is only a few things that can stall you on a low carb diet and that's caffeine, cheese, aspartame and TOTM so just watch if your having any of these just incase any of these are slowing you down.

Last week I only lost 1lb despite being 100% so wasn't happy as I couldn't find a reason but then TOTM showed up a few days later so im hoping that was the cause, I don't mind having the odd bad week if I know the reason so I must watch out for that next month.

Tracyx

Last edited:
Thanks for this.

I had 4 shakes yesterday and am 10.7 3/4 today which is the weight I was the morning before I has S&S. Yes their products are higher in carbs and calories than LT which is why I was sure the switch had affected my weight as the timing was perfect. Also I did have spaghetti and cottage pie amongst the meals so all his fits in with what you said. I'm going to try and stay on the shakes few a few days then try eating my own meal again and see if it stays steady.

Why they didn't take your approach in explaining things when saying to stay on the diet longer I have no idea as you took the time to explain to me why this is happening rather than just saying "you haven't given it a chance" and also if they'd suggested what you did about the carbs etc back when I first asked all my stress could have been prevented. You have potentially saved them some business as I was all up for throwing it on eBay and going back to LT. Now I've seen a move this morning and you have confirmed in my opinion what's going on I'll give it a chance.

Thank you so much, maybe you should be a rep for them :)

Hi, just butting in...I thought it was worth mentioning that I stop losing or even have a gain if I don't drink enough. 2l doesn't seem to be enough for me so I upped to between 2.5 and 3l and boom it falls off again. Funnily enough, I'm more aware the day before wi, drink loads and the results show the next day after nothing all week. I'm trying not to rely on that this time round. Best of luck xx

Hi KJ,

When I started having problems I found them very unhelpful too so i just had to start trying out different things to find the problem then i started browsing all the low carb websites and everything I was reading was saying that althought some people are fine eating up to 100g of carbs a day the average to stay in ketosis is just 50g (slim and save simplicity plan is around 70g) so it just clicked.

I hope cutting back the carbs works for you too as its horrible to be trying so hard and not to loss :( x

Great advice and info Tracy xx

Thanks Jewel :)

I can see your not having any of our problems with the plan, you are doing fantastic. 13lbs in 2 weeks, you must be so pleased x

LT is about 45g carbs so I'm trying to stay as near to that as possible. Would be nice if they suggested trying to lower my carbs rather than making me feel it's somehow my fault. They may be lower in price but their support leaves something to be desired it seems.

Thanks Jewel :)

I can see your not having any of our problems with the plan, you are doing fantastic. 13lbs in 2 weeks, you must be so pleased x

Thankfully I'm not having any of these issues, I admire how you have both stuck to it and worked out what to do to make it work for you. I would have given up and just thought 'ah well, doesnt work for me'. I'm glad I read the advice on this thread though just in case it's needed in the future xx

I spent £150 on my S&S box of goodies, so I'm Determined to make the most of it. I've considered jacking in the S&S products and doing LT for weight loss and using my S&S stuff for refeed but if it's now sorting itself by me sticking to 4 shakes a day then I might stay with it. I'll try changing a product tomorrow for something else and see what happens then Sun I might try 3 and a meal and again monitor the situation. I think Tracy is right though, 70gs of carbs is too much for some of us.

Back