Do you have PCOS?

Thank you so much :) I've just arranged my free consultation in Norwich for next Tuesday with a test patch at £25!! The company I have already seen cost me £70 (£35 for consultation and £35 for test patch :mad:)!!

This company also offers interest free credit too so I may go down that route!

Thank you very much for the information. :flowers: :thankyou:
I'm so pleased that was useful to you. My friend is nearing the end of hers and although it looks bad immediately after being done you can really see the improvement! Good luck with it x

Thank you for all the wonderful posts here, Its helpful to hear everybodies own experiences with PCOS.

guys have any of ye tried glucophage? its prescribed but it helps with ur bodies resistance to insulin and therefore can aid in stopping your body in converting it to fat. pcos lowers the bodies resistance to insulin and makes it harder to absorp, as a result we store as......... you guessed it FAT! hence why its symptom. now theres no point on going on it unless ur sticking to a good diet as u need to lower ur sugar intake but i said id throw it out there.
x

its nice to see so many pcos girls here!!

have any of you tried vaniqa to help with the excess hair?? it really is a godsend!!

its nice to see so many pcos girls here!!

have any of you tried vaniqa to help with the excess hair?? it really is a godsend!!

I have tried vaniqa but it gave me terrible spots and with the fat and hair I just couldnt mentally cope with anymore

its a cream that helps with the hair growth, you doctor has to prescribe it once youve removed your excess hair you rub the cream on teh area and it slows down the groth of it really is a saviour for me!! before i was using hair removing cream every day now i only need to do it once a week!!

heres a link to a website with an explanation:

Vaniqa cream (eflornithine)

Hiya Everyone! Im new to this site, and im on Lipotrim to try and lose some weight, only on day 4 but im sticking with it!
I got diagnosed with PCOS when i was 17, (im 24 now) And my doctor hasnt a clue....he has never suggested anything to help me, ao i have to read things online and ASK him to help me and tp prescribe me things. I have alot of facial hair, and i shave everyday..it doesnt help that i have really dark hair...its really visable...i try to pluck when i have the time, and have been know to spend up to 4 hours with the magnifying mirror and tweezers, i think i get into a trance! anyway sorry for rambeling...just wanted to say hi, and let you know that im going for a Gynae appt soon to see if there is anything they can help me with (had to ask dr for this too!) Im so down with it all, but luckily i have a really supportive Fiance who know my probs and we can even joke at my "beard" i swear if i didnt laugh about it i wouldn't stop crying. Its hard not feeling like a woman, and as im big it takes forever in the shower trying to get rid of every hair from my legs, arms, face etc.....oh the joys of PCOS.
Take Care girls!!

I couldn't cope with vaniqa, had terrible side effects & didn't seem to make any difference to the hair.
Glucophage is also known as metformin, it's for diabetics & has good results with the insulin resistance that a lot of PCOS sufferers have.
Sarahsez, glad you found somewhere to have your hair done, the other place was really expensive. I've had 8 or 9 sessions on my face but I still need to shave everyday, but at least it's only once now, was twice a day before.

Hi I was first diagnosed with PCOS when I was 22, a year after I got married. Was really upset about it all but started to become more positive about it after gaining more info. Much to my surprise, when I moved to Germany I was told that in fact I did not have it but they couldn't explain all the symptons I was having and why I couldn't get pregnant. Then after having more problems I went to see my GP and he said I do have it, so confused on it all. The one thing I really want is a baby yet no one will help as I need to loose weight, which I'm going to help by starting SW this week and the gym when I get the all clear from the surgeon as just had an op on my knee. Hopefully after I loose weight they'll help me as I don't think a male dr understands PCOS, in fact I think only those who suffer fully understand it and can be sympathetic to other sufferers and know how hard it is to loose the weight

Hi butterbean.. ask your gp to send you to an endocrinologist (pref one who speciallises in pcos and hormone disorders) as well as the gyne, they will do more in depth blood testing. I went to see one recently, he was brilliant!(although i did pay private, u should be able to be to see one on nhs) he just seemed to understand everythin betta, answered lots of questions i had..Do some research and ask to be referred..good luck xx

:eek:Well good news from me, I went fo the ultrasound and i havent got PCOS :) I was so relieved. And losing 12.2lb has helped it so much i can't imagine how good i will feel after losing 5 stone :flirt2:

OMG i am stunned at just how many of us have PCOS I got an early diagnosis back when they just about knew what the condition was but not sure about how to treat it.. I won't bore you all with the details but after 3 major surgeries and various pills, I am like most other people taking metformin for my type 2 diabetes which helps with the PCOS. I now have a regular cycle but the hair growth is something else, luckily for me i am quite fair so most of the hair is blonde but even so it's so hard to keep it under control.
Bunnyxx

Hi people, im a newbie and i have pcos, but im determined not to let it beat me, which is proving difficult at the moment but i will get there some day :)
lizzie xxx

Hi

Hi I am a newbie here today, and I have PCOS and am 37 yrs old. I have had it since I was in my twenties but it was only confirmed recently

I have gross hirsuitism, obesity, too much testosterone, skin darkening around my neck because of insulin resistance. My periods are very irregular.I'm on Metformin too

I really want to finally do something about this.I am going to my first Slimming World session on Monday, and am terrified by the idea, but I need to lose the weight for health, self esteem and fertility - if it is not too late already

Hi again sam and welcome !!!

Ive very similar symptoms to you except my periods are fairly regular at the moment, i have also just gone back on to metformin.

Good luck xxx

I have PCOS. I hate having it and have lots of the symptoms! I'm hoping that when I've lost more weight, some of the symptoms will go away or get better!

I think that pcos can come in bouts for some people, like at the moment my symptoms arent too bad, but six months ago they were really bad that my gp sent me to the hospital to see an endo, and have scans and blood tests etc.

Lizzie xxx

Hiya,

I have PCOS too, I was diagnoised when I was 14, as my periods where irregular, and at the time after scans and blood tests etc, I was told I would never have children - nice at the age of 14! So when I met my husband when I was 17 I wasn't always that careful with the pill - My son turns 5 next month!
After having my son I got very bad depression, put on about 5 stone in weight and the symptoms of my PCOS got worse! I was put on Metformin a few months ago, but seem unable to take it - it affects my stomach really badly. (although I have recently been told about a slow release metformin which I am going to ask about next appointment).

So anyway as I would love another child (its not happened in the last 2 years and I won't get help from the docs til I have lost weight) I have decided to get off my bum and do something about it! I am following the slimming world diet and am taking reductil. I have lost 5lb in my first week, and already feeling so much better in myself!

Anyway sorry for rambling on!

:D

Well done for losing 5 pounds thats amazing !!!

Its interesting what doctors tell us then are proved wrong, but keep pushing dont let them fob you off, if you want to try the slow release then unless they give you a damn good reason why you cant have it keep on pushing. Sometimes doctors need a kick up the backside to make them do some work lol !!!

Lizzie xxx

Back