Do you have PCOS?

Hi Ladies :)

I was diagnoised with PCOS 6 years ago. I was trying to get pregnant after suffering 2 miscarriages and an ectopic pregnancy and nothing was helping. My gynae consultant at the hospital started me on Metforim and after taking it for 3 and a half years along side clomid and various over drugs i finally fell pregnant and i now have a 21 month old son and a 4 month old daughter.

Before i was diagnoised and after my ectopic, i went from a size 12, 9st7 to a size 22, 15st3. I was so down and depressed i knew i had to do something. So with the help of the metformin and a healthy eating plan (i designed by myself) i managed to get my weight back down to 11st6 and a size 14. I was so happy, then over the last two years ive had my beautiful babies.

However, because i had to stop taking the metformin i am now at my heaviest, 17st2 :( having extremely heavy periods and not really getting anywhere. Im seeing my gynae again in 2 weeks to see if i can start my metformin back up and ive now joined slimming world, so im hoping that these combined together will help me on my way.

Im just wondering if there are any others who have had a similar journey?

i was diagnosed with pcos 6 years ago at 19 after my weight increased by 5 stone in one year i have all the symptoms you can think of acne (though it only flares up once in a while thank god) facial hair irregular cyles the lot but i have been told by my dr that i need to get down to 14 stone if i want to have a baby so here i am on LT and trying really hard to lose it
good luck to all you ladies trying to lose weight

gastric bypass for me 5 years ago, dropped 5 stone quickly. diagnosed PCOS 24 years ago, no kids.just cant shift this jelly belly, hence diet again. Not on any hormone drugs, what would you all recommend? had laser, still have acne (lifes unfair!) i work so hard to keep under eleven stone, and have gone over, again. been on exante 2 weeks, and covered in spots, again! sob.

My mum has PCOS, was diagnosed and had a full hystorectmoy. I have read that the condition can be passed down, and I myself find it hard to loose weight, have excessive facial hair and get acne.

I almost raised the subject with the nurse on Friday, but she was quite rude about my weight and I mentioned my mum having PCOS and she didn't think anything of it - I know it's something I need to see about but I just can't bear the thought of going through what mum went through.

I have PCOS , I was diagnosed years ago. I also had endometriosis. I had twins (conceived naturally) after being told i couldn't have kids!, 2years after the kids I had a hysterectomy, i have one remaining ovary which is still polycycstic. I have been treated for acne for 20 years, still ongoing. To add insult to unjury , my thyroid gland packed up. I feel like whatever illness can be contracted where weight gain is a symptom , i'll get it.
I do try and stay positive , I think about all the cancer suffers and those people with life threatening conditions and think that being overweight isn't that bad.

Hi All,

I too suffer with PCOS, diagnosed at 18. I dont have the more obvious symptoms, like the acne and facial hair, I hear other peoples concerns with them and I suppose I consider myself lucky in some ways. I find it very hard to lose weight and am taking it very slow.
I get really bad periods, they arent irregular anymore, but are painful so much that I can't move and they last 10 - 12 days, which is alot considering they come every 28 days.

I haven't tried for kids yet, at 24 I dont want them for a few years - but it does worry me that i might not be able to have them.

I have it

Diagnosed at 22 (seems like a lifetime ago)

My symptoms are non existent proportionally to my weight.

Unfortunately I am riddled with symptoms at the moment, including abnormal hair, sweats, blood sugar imbalance, acne and lack of ovulation again.

Its so frustrating when you're told "lose weight and your symptoms will improve" but its so true. Still frustrating though!

I have it.
My story. . .
Started with irregular periods, so i went to visit the doctor, who sent me for scans and blood tests, which i was told came back normal (over year and half ago).
So then recently when I hadn't had a period for 9 months I went back to the doctors and they said it appeared I had pcos a year and a half ago. I was then sent for TV scan which confirmed it.
I was told it isn't anything to worry about till i want children (which really annoys me, im 22 but want children in the future), so they told me i needed to take a contreception pill, but due to high blood pressure (which ive never had before, could it be pcos??) I couldn't take it so was put onto nerothisterone to make me have a period (on 4th day and waiting).
My doctor is now going to refer me to a gyna, but that is going to take months they said.
My blood pressure is being monitored though.

Well thats my story (hope it makes sense, new to this), joined here to see if I could find out more information because I am confused and I don't know how to feel about it.

Ann x

I have PCOS as well.

Diagnosed at 19, vastly overweight for years and steadily climbed to my heaviest of 24stone. Periods have been pretty much non-existant, or somewhat constant, for the past few years. Can't go on the pill due to contraindications and Metformin made me sick as a parrot. Had progesterone pills for a while which helped to at least give me semi-regular bleeds but when I last saw the consultants at the hospital I was told they wouldn't treat me anymore due to my weight. I begged for help but got told if I didn't lose 8stone by the end of the year (which was a few years ago and it was already August at that point!), that I wouldn't be seen again. It was a completely unrealistic target for someone begging for help and constantly gaining.

Gave up on everything for a few years, all the usual diet suspects didn't help and then January this year started Low-Gi and haven't looked back since. I've lost just over 5st so far, have stopped the constant breakthrough bleeding and have had two regular periods in two months, which is the first time in years. I'm ecstatic..I feel normal, to some extent. Still got a lot to lose and a lot of other side-effects that aren't changing, but c'est la vie.

Having children one day, (nearly 30, single and fat...so not happening now :( ) has always been a dream, but I don't know if it'll ever happen. I feel like I'm running out of time now, even if I DIDN'T have PCOS. I'm starting to come around to the idea that I may not have kids, but not very much, but I think that's more to do with myself than my PCOS. Anyway, I digress...

I just wanted to say, for once in about 14yrs, I feel somewhat normal. I'm buying Tampax again! Never thought THAT would make me happy!!

:D

For all of us... compassion.. love.. respect for what we have been through..

Find the hope..

..this is not a diagnosis of no hope.. this is a diagnosis where hope can be forgotten at times, but does exist...

..at 34 I've lost the weight, start believing in myself, left my ex who never did anything for my self esteem and never coped with my PCOS symptoms and met a guy who's not some rare breed, but a human being who is loving and who understands that PCOS is not my fault (more than I ever have managed!).. and we're now planning on children... and there's no reason for that to not happen now...

it is all possible.... but remember... it's not your fault, and it's all possible... keep repeating that and you'll realise it's true... it's not my fault.. it's all still possible... it's not my fault.....

Love, Love and more love xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Vxx

..at 34 I've lost the weight, start believing in myself, left my ex who never did anything for my self esteem and never coped with my PCOS symptoms and met a guy who's not some rare breed, but a human being who is loving and who understands that PCOS is not my fault (more than I ever have managed!).. and we're now planning on children... and there's no reason for that to not happen now...

it is all possible.... but remember... it's not your fault, and it's all possible... keep repeating that and you'll realise it's true... it's not my fault.. it's all still possible... it's not my fault.....

Thats really inspirational - I have had PCOS coupled with Hypothyroidism (double whammy) which have both left my with loads of excess weight. I am lucky that i don't have any of the other symptoms other than the weight gain and irregular periods but it has got to the point now where i am desperate to lose the weight that i have carried nearly all my life. I have never ever been slim and i wan to be more than ever.

I've just joined Weight Watchers this last week and i am determined to lose the stones.

Thanks for this message which has given me hope :)

Likklebex

Double whammy for me too. Underactive Thyroid and PCOS. Been on Dianette which keeps the acne under control but wish I'd never started it after reading horror stories on the net about it ultimately making you worse. Tried to come off it a few times but the acne was so bad I couldn't bear it and went back on it again.

Hoping for kids one day but who knows....fingers crossed.

Hi all, just come backe here after typing pcos and cambridge diet in and i cant tell you how pleased i am to have found this page, i have just been diagnosed with pcos im 26, it was purely on my gut insitict i had acne on my jaw line and last two periods ireggular i have gained weight but i thought that was more to do with eating crap.... anyway i paid for a private scan and it confirmed pco i am having bloods done tomorrow to test my hormone levels, i have been none the less very very upset at the prospect of fertility problems but relieved when i saw that loosing just abit of weight improves your chances :) so i intend to stick around for awhile im back on the cambridge and feeling like things will be ok :) xx

Hi I have been diagnosed with PCOS. I have terrible acne, moods are always up and down, I have hair in places I didn't know I could grow hair and its just awful. Its nice to know others who are going through similar symptoms...! The worst part is sometimes I feel so manly, I hate feeling like that, with all the hair and agression and blood tests showing high testosterone, I do wonder some days what is going on in my body!

I have a little boy, love him to bits, would love to have more children, will wait and see.....

Hi :sign0144:, Ive was diagnosed with PCOS 15 years ago after trying unsuccessfully for family. I was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism at the same time which can also hinder fertility.
Of course the wonderfull weight issues go so well with both conditions which can be really depressing at times.

At least doctors have been quite kind with my weight problems, even though they always said lose weight , they also said its going to be extra hard for you, and boy were they right :sigh:

hi all, ive just joined this site and boy am i relieved already to know im not alone! i was diagnosed with PCOS last january and am so far really struggling to lose weight and get my facial hair under control. ive been put on metformin. ive seen 5 different doctors so far who all put me on different pills which i wasnt happy with so stopped taking them. havent had a period in over 6 months again :-( i want a baby more than anything

Keep battling away with this weight loss and baby chances will improve i am sure. I know we sometimes feel like we are fighting a losing battle but a little at a time wil get us there - we just have to be a bit more motivated and self disciplined than most i reckon! It sucks but keep going gals! We are all here to support each other!! xxx

Hello all,

I am new here also, and joined really for the info and help with the SW. I've been diagnosed few years back and have been quite lucky with my weight maybe 2-3 stone more than I should be, not so lucky with the hair and the moods. By changing my lifestyle and going traveling I have managed to loose the excess weight, turn my moods around and reduce some of the facial hair. Active lifestyle, sunshine and fresh food really worked for me and I had fun at the same time :) I have recently returned home and in a short few months the weight has started to creep back up, so I have decided to get a grip on it before it gets out of control, and we all know how hard it is to loose weight with PCOS compared to how easy it is to put it on, hence the SW diet.

I didn't expect to find a PCOS thread here :) Nice to meet you all, and see you around :)

This is quite embarrassing but do any other PCOS sufferers have excessive hair around the tops of the back of the thighs/bottom of the bum area? i have it there and all around my thighs as well as tummy, face, and odd black hairs over my chest and tops of my arms. It's gonna cost me sooo much for laser treatment. :( :(

Back