Do you keep SS a secret?

MrsT

Morning,

so far I have only told my parents, husband, daughter and best friend that I am on Cambridge SS. It is getting really hard at work though cause A) people are noticing I am losing weight and B) with all the christmas meals coming up I am playing a game of avoidance and running out of excuses.

I don't know whether to just tell people? my reasons for not telling were because I don't want to put extra pressure on myself and I did not want lectures about doing a VLCD.

Nina

lol. Nina, at least ur family knows. In my case NO ONE knows. My hubby is mega against it and said its not healthy starvin yourself and that he doesnt want me to do it and wont be happy. Im only on day4 today, but have managed to hide it so far. He works 8 - 8 , 4days a wk and the then 10 - 5. Ive said to him im healthy eatin, and am avoiding to have food after 5pm. Luckily i dont need to do this for long and i plan to soon go the next step on cd which will include a meal, but in the meantime i have to lie and hide and get through it.

Exactly the same for me.
Only told a few at the start.
Now 2 and 1/2 stone down and lots commenting and i find myself not sharing the fact that it is by a VLCD.
I just say that my BMI had to change according to the NHS website and that it isn't a diet for everybody, not mentioning CD at all, unless they push.
Don't feel that i need to justify my choice of weight loss to anyone.
It was my best choice however.

i`ve only told the people who live in my house, i was on atkins before, so they still think i`m doing that, i will however tell them once the weight has gone, but that is only because i want to be a cdc, otherwise i would never tell anyone. as my family are all stick thin & would be so against this sort of diet, they woukd probablly think of it as a cheat too.

I'm in a similar boat, I haven't told anyone - apart from the people I met at my CDC's house. I am single, so I can get away with it.

I haven't told my parents - as they won't understand my mum is 8.5 stone and my dad is around 11 stone. My mum had be a 23 and I'm 26 and in that 26 years had only gone up half a stone - and they are both fairly tall, so they are both light. So they don't understand what I am going through. I expect Xmas will be a problem - but that's still quite a long way away yet, I would what excuse I can come up with!!!!! I think I'll just say I am doing a detox.

I think one of the reasons I have a weight issue is my dad. In am 26 now, in my early 20's I was 9.5 stone (a little chubby), but in my late teens I was 8 stone - I had a 23" inch waist, I was an hourglass figure, with 34C bust & 34 hips. My dad used to call me "Miss Piggy" "Porky Pig" or "Fat Bum". Alot of my friends were "sticks", I wish I was alive in the 1950's and then I probably won't have been so paranoid.

Last edited:
only hubby and sister know. i don;t want to have to justify it to anyone and I do not want anyone to say something to put me off (I have enough of those voices in my head!)

I'm in a similar boat, I haven't told anyone - apart from the people I met at my CDC's house. I am single, so I can get away with it.

I haven't told my parents - as they won't understand my mum is 8.5 stone and my dad is around 11 stone. My mum had be a 23 and I'm 26 and in that 26 years had only gone up half a stone - and they are both fairly tall, so they are both light. So they don't understand what I am going through. I expect Xmas will be a problem - but that's still quite a long way away yet, I would what excuse I can come up with!!!!! I think I'll just say I am doing a detox.

I think one of the reasons I have a weight issue is my dad. In am 26 now, in my early 20's I was 9.5 stone (a little chubby), but in my late teens I was 8 stone - I had a 23" inch waist, I was an hourglass figure, with 34C bust & 34 hips. My dad used to call me "Miss Piggy" "Porky Pig" or "Fat Bum". Alot of my friends were "sticks", I wish I was alive in the 1950's and then I probably won't have been so paranoid.

it is incredible Blueeyes how many people have this kind of story to tell about family members especially parents, we have been chatting about it on the '56 days til xmas' thread... Once 1 person mentioned it lots of us realised we had similar experiences..

Thanks for sharing x

I kept it 'quiet' at 1st only OH, daughter and sister knew, but now i don't care - once you have lost a lot of weight it is hard for them to form an arguement lol

i did it gradually, good luck over the Christmas period Mrs T with all those parties etc :)

im out in the open on ss and CD dont really care what others think x

I officially start cd on thurs and am cutting down on carbs and upping the water at the moment. I debated a long time before choosing which vlcd to do and one of the main reasons was that I could have the option of food on cd and therfor hide the diet from others mainly because I feel such a failure having lost and put back 6 1/2 stones over the past 4 years and don`t want others to think here she goes again. Stupid I know.

Same with me. I am not ashamed of VLCD or soups/shakes/bars but the last thing I need is to lose weight and have negative fedback from well meaning family/friends when you least need it. "Oh I've heard about it - you'll only put it back on etc." Whereas before they were all up for it. We ALL know, if its done and managed properly, then success is maintained.

I want to be the proof that it works :)

i didn't tell my parents until a few weeks in, when id lost over half a stone.

my housemates were wary at first but see the results and once they'd read the book and understood the diet it was fine.

unfortunately some of my friends back home don't understand it, with comment like 'it makes you wonder whats in it...' and 'it looks like s**t'.

at the end of the day im proud t say iv stuck to the diet and lost weight, its not easy and no matter how much you exercise if you still have the wrong attitude to food you wont get anywhere, and this diet helps to change it.

i didn't tell anyone to start with. now certain people at work know (although not many of my team) and a lot of my friends know but that's because one of them has a big gob and didn't realise i didn't want people to know...

most of my family know as well now, but i'm careful who i tell. even though it doesn't look that way i have had to come clean to some because they have invited me over for family dinners and the excuses were wearing thin...

abz xx

It varies a lot then!!

Thank you for all your replies. I think I will just carry on the game of avoidance where work is concerned, they are all very opinionated and although I can stand my ground I don't want to be constantly defending it. I may feel differently when I am maintaining though;)

N

My family are all aware and my close work collegues but as the weight loss has become more apparant more people ask how I've done it. I'm very discerning about who I tell as most people will gladly share a horror story of the next door neighbour's hamsters second cousin who died from such a diet or maybe thats just my workmates for you !! I generally tell people I'm on a low calorie diet and let them come to their own conclussions.
You'd be surprised how many people claim to know the diet and now tell me "not to lose too much" .
If only !!!!!

Its not easy is it. My parents are nothing other than proud of the weight i have lost as they know how unhappy i was. My husband and daughters feel the same. Its been great to go to shops and be able to look at a whole new set of clothes rails that has for so long been unavailable. Being able to look down the sale racks and treat myself to a pair of jeans or a top at only a few pounds just because they fit me feels great.
I've been lucky as in our village we have a CDC and up to 10(!) of my friends have been to her so we have all been able to support each other.
At work our staff room is huge so nobody really notices what anyone else is eating as its a quick turn around and a mug of soup could be any make. Although I do make sure i crunch up the packaging to hide the name before it goes in the bin!

Hiya, I am not on cambridge diet but I am on lipotrim and personally I havent told anyone apart from my friend and partner. Anyone else in my family wouldnt understand and most friends think that vlcds are taking the easy way out instead of doing other diets where ya lose 2-3lbs a week so therefore I havent told them at all. Without the support from my friend and partner and of course the lovely bunch of people on this forum then I would never have made it. A big thank you goes to all of you.

to be honest everyone i know knows, my ex, my mates, my work mates in both my jobs lol my family my dogs my dogs cousin lol everyone!! just had to blabb it that im going to be slim soon its great! im getting so much support bar from the ex but we all know he is an arse!! xx

Back