Do you think I am too big for the gym?

Hamish's Mum

Silver Member
I am booked in at my local gym today for my induction, I took out a membership yesterday.

I just spoke to the receptionist and she took all my details, but I never spoke to anyone who works in the gym and now I wonder if I am too 'fat' to do any proper exercise, and if they will just laugh at me.

Supposed I am scared i will be the biggest person there and anyone coming in will think I am funny.

In a word, no. Everyone will be at the gym for the same reason. We all have insecurities, and that's why they will be there, fixing something they don't like about themselves.

Dont feel embarrassed, feel proud that you have been motivated enough to do something about it :) You go girl!! xx

when i used to go to the gym, there were some very big people there, and they still managed to do everything, so i dont think you will have a problem. when you have the induction they should help you put a plan together, to start you off.

You go there with your head held high knowing that you have taken control of your weight and your size and all power to your elbow for it.

Good luck, enjoy and let us know how you are doing.

hugs :bighug:

I have more respect for the larger people at the gym who work their butt off compared to the skinnies who drape themselves over machines and pose in the mirrors!

Go for it, you will love it!

Dont forget to measure yourself so you can see those inches melting away

Look at my stats-I started at the gym 1 week after I started slimming world. Best thing I ever did. I am so much fitter, have more stamina & also much less in the way of aches & pains.

No, no! You will be absolutely fine! I am certain that if anyone notices you while you're working out (I often find I'm too absorbed in my own workout to really notice anyone around me) they'll be thinking how great it is that you're taking control and getting fit and healthy.

When I started the gym I was really self-conscious, but I soon found there was no reason to be and soon going to the gym just became routine.

Good luck with your induction! :)

Well done - sounds like you have got some plans for the gym. I've used gyms for years and I have not seen anyone laughed at. Most people are just there focused on what they are doing anyway.

What's important is get some goals - gyms become repetative after a while and one of the ways to deal with it is goals. I have short, medium and long term goals such as a weight I want to bench press in one , three or six months or that I want to run a mile in 6 mins in 6 months. I can see my progress this way plus the trainers give me ideas as its more specific - these goals also develop over time so set some simple ones for now. Dont just say 'lose weight' thats an outcome.

I suspect your induction includes a 'plan' which covers what they initially recommened e.g. 10 mins cross trainer, or 2 sets of 10 reps on leg press. It takes a short while to get to grips with this if you are new to it, but help is at hand! Post here or get in touch, be happy to help - you quickly get used to it

good luck

No you are NOT too big.
I ALWAYS think anybody who goes to the gym is doing good trying to become fit and healthy they are doing it and not just talking about it.
Well done you for wanting to go to the gym I really love going and I think you will find people are really helpful.
Go for it I am sure you will love it.

A big well done for joining the gym, for a start if people are looking at you, then they are not doing what THEY went to the gym for!! I know that people wont be staring or laughing at you they are doing anything else. i go to the gym i have flabby bits/stretch marks and loads of tattoos no1 stares at me, and anyway if they want to stare its because your gorgeous xx

Thank you for all your replies, it certainly helps boost my confidence.

The gym induction was good and I have been given a plan for the next few months which i can change at any time.

The machine I will use will be more basic at first such as treadmill,bike and a few different cross trainer type things, but i have a 50 minutes session each time and it will build my stamina and start to work on my legs and stomach.

I have a friend that also uses the gym and she likes company so I thought it would be good to meet her there then I cant make excuses to myself all the time. I am hoping to go 3 or 4 times a week.

Absolutly not, you have taken the first step to your final journey.

I was over 18 stone when I first started going, I went for my induction adn was told if I start to hurt stop but never was I told don't do this or that exercise because of my weight.

Once you have had your induction get your ipod out and plug your self in to some good heavy beat tunes to get your rhythem going.
I love going now and once I'm plugged in I don't notice anything else around me.

Good on you

Well done Hamish's Mum! Definitely not too big!!!! Its hard at first but it does get easier and the feeling afterwards is amazing!! If you are self-conscious (who isn't eh?) then I find going in the morning better as it tends to be regular people using it then and in the evenings you get the young super-fit crowd descending after work

The cross trainer will become your biggest enemy and you will hate it! In time, it will become a great friend and you will be forever grateful and maybe even grow to love it!! - well, if not love, certainly like!

My major nemesis was the cross trainer, yet despite almost collapsing after 20 minutes on it the first time I used it, it built up my stamina and now I can walk dozens of miles for hours as my legs are strong and stamina is never an issue.

Nay, nay and thrice nay!

If you are too big for the gym, then so am I! I don't care, I'm not doing it for anyone but me. Little tip though, smile at people!w Two reasons;
one smiling is scientifically proven to make you feel better, the better you feel whilst at the gym the more positive association, so you will want to go.
Second reason is obvious, you look friendly, people don't judge friendly people nearly as much as miseries!

I emailed the manager of my gym before I went and he sent a lovely reply,telling me that I wasn't too heavy for their machines and which ones I might like to use. I was 20 stone when I started. I won't lie to you I get looked at, well have you seen an 18+stone woman running on a treadmill? It ain't pretty! But I like to think that some of them are going "Good for her!"
I even got asked for a hug from the Manager! I never had an induction (naughty me) so I watch people and Youtube for tips!

Enjoy yourself, I now have the most amazing skin! I know I shouldn't say that but I've stopped wearing the heavy duty makeup!

glad you enjoyed your induction.

remember to have a go at any classes they offer too-i didnt for ages, then realised i enjoyed them sooo much more than the actual gym and probably work harder during them too

Thank you again everyone. I went by myself today for my first proper session. I managed most of my program, but after being on teh cross trainer and then having to have a go on another stepper type machine I just didn't think my thighs were going to cope so finished my program a little earlier. Also had to have a few breaks inbetween.

I did enjoy it though and this afternoon I took my very fit teenage son down to join too, so that when he comes in from high school and school holidays I will have no excuse not to go as he needs an adult to accompany him.

My legs were like pure jelly coming out today, though I was going to collapse into a heap on the gym floor. But I keep telling myself my program will be a doddle by xmas is I keep going.

Six months before I actually joined my gym I went for a taster session / look around and was pleased to notice that there were some larger ladies enjoying zumba alongside me and really enjoying themselves although it was hard going. I didn't join until December in the end, and was amazed by how much difference one of those ladies had made in that time I'd been dithering about. She became my gym inspiration - the person that I had seen the before and after for in real life, not any of the uber-fit, super-sculpted lot. Maybe you will be that inspiration for someone else somewhere down the line!! Go for it, and let us know how you get on.

x

Back