doctor upset me!

hope1964

Hi, I'm quite new to this forumn but not to slimming world. Just started again 4 weeks ago and I have lost 10lbs. I am type 2 diabetic with high blood pressure.

Went to see doctor to get meds reduced as after losing about stone on my own since Nov. and now another 10 lbs i find that my sugar levels have gone from being high to too low. Also blood pressure now getting to be on low side. Was proud of what i have achieved to be met by a doc who then said "well you've never had good levels before" Basically she didnt believe me and only reduced diabetic medicine very slightly and blood pressure stuff not at all. She was down right rude and really upset me. Why couldnt she just give me credit for what i've done and listen to me.

Sorry about the rant

:mad:

oh sweetie, every single medical person I have ever seen about my weight my whole life have treated me the same. I have a post on here somewhere about it..... they practically laugh in my face and they NEVER believe that I dont sit around eating pies all day. I have given up ALL hope of ever getting any medical assistance....
So I thought bugger you all, I will show you. And I will, even though it looks like its going to take me a while. lol
Anyway, the point of this post lol is to say I know how you feel I really do, its all very upsetting isnt it.
Do you have the option of changing doctors.? or going private.? I know its expensive, but worth it. My dad is Diabetic 2 and he went private and the treatment he gets is second to none.
I really feel for you.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience :(

Maybe if you went back in a months time to prove to them it is still low? My boyfriend had high blood pressure at one point. He had to get tested and have 3 or 4 low results before they'd classify him as having normal blood pressure in case it was a blip the first time.

i no the feelin my blood pressure was ok before i lost the weight now im nearly 4 stone lighter and its high, doctor was very quick to blame my weight and almost didnt believe me that id lost all that weight on my own. Also said i wasnt trying hard enough to lose it. sometimes they can be so mean...

Sarah, Im sorry but if it was ME (maybe Im too hot headed) I wouldnt take that anymore. How dare he (or she). Who do they think they are.? Doctors think they know everything, and half the time they know very little....
Ohhhhh that makes me MAD.

yes very frustrating it almost makes u want to give up, also i dont go to slimming world i just do it on my own as i cant really afford to join, asked the docs if i can have help and they said no!! its terrible sorry to rant just makes me angry lol

Thank you for all the replies. Yes I will show her. Was early morning so hate to think what other patients would have to put up with later in the day. lol. Unfortunately she is always like this. So in future I will insist that I dont see her. The other problem is that I can continue with the meds but if the blood sugar levels run at what they are at the moment I am going into diabetic hypos all the time. Long run as bad as them being too high. Worst could happen is that I could end up in coma. Think i will make appointment with different doc as will take 3 weeks to get appointment with diabetic nurse. Oh joys.

Oh sweetie, I really feel for you.
I thought there was something the health service were doing about going to a class.... maybe I dreamt it lol...wishful thinking eh.?
I dont go to class either, and I know a few of the others here are doing it alone at home too, so dont worry, you arent the only one and we are all here, just give us a shout anytime....

i would def make an appointment with another doctor at the surgery explain to them how she made you feel and say you really want to get your meds sorted out. make sure you stick to your guns on this you know your body better than anybody and you are the only person who has the right to decide what you put in it!

hope you get it sorted soon and well done on your weight loss keep at it and prove that doctor wrong!

thanks debby, iv been doin it over a yr now and only lost 52lb lol, its my own fault coz i go through phases thats why iv joined this thought it might help a little.

Do you go to my practice? We have one female Dr there who I won't go and see! Talking to lots of my patients (I'm a physio) neither will they! No one has a good word to say about her. Having said that, your Dr won't reduce your BP medication on 1 reading. Just like they always get you to come back more than once if it's high. They can't take a chance. She could have put it more politely, but technically she's done the right thing till you go back and it's low again.
You're showing lots of spunk! You WILL succeed! She has no bedside manner, and if you were to get her next time, and she showed the same lack of tact then if you don't feel like speaking up, a letter to the practice manager would be in order. You could do one now if you're still of a mind to. I'm sure we'd be able to draft one for you if you wanted help.
We love and appreciate what you've done, even if she doesn't!

That's awful! I had a rather similar experience whhen I started out SW.

I had to see the practice nurse for something and she was weighing me during this appointment. I stood on the scales (pre-weigh in) and was happy to see that I had lost 2lbs so far that week. She then asked what I was doing to lose. Now at that point, I had gone from being 17st 9 down to 12 9ish but then put two stone back on pre SW.....anyway I joined SW after the gain and at that poitn I had lost about a stone and I was really proud of my achievement......BUT she told me that there was no point as I would never be able to maintain on a diet like that! She told me to go to the gym!! I felt so small and rather humiliated!

Well, a big twos up to her I say! lol

K xx

What diabetic medication are you on? Insulin? or tablet form...Metformin?

I was on insulin and Metformin but I gradually reduced my insulin till like you I was getting close to having hypo's. So I stopped taking it altogether. I'm now looking at reducing my Metformin too. So long as your sugars are regularly in the normal range reduce your medication....whatever it is. But keep testing yourself to be sure on your sugar levels.

Hi, I'm quite new to this forumn but not to slimming world. Just started again 4 weeks ago and I have lost 10lbs. I am type 2 diabetic with high blood pressure.

Went to see doctor to get meds reduced as after losing about stone on my own since Nov. and now another 10 lbs i find that my sugar levels have gone from being high to too low. Also blood pressure now getting to be on low side. Was proud of what i have achieved to be met by a doc who then said "well you've never had good levels before" Basically she didnt believe me and only reduced diabetic medicine very slightly and blood pressure stuff not at all. She was down right rude and really upset me. Why couldnt she just give me credit for what i've done and listen to me.

Sorry about the rant

:mad:

From a medical point of view you should have at least had blood tests and your blood pressure checked correctly to ascertain the stage you are at now. I find the attitude of your doctor extremely arrogant and totally lacking support. If I were you I would go back and see a different doctor, you don't have to put up with that kind of attitude. Keep your chin up and carry on with the good work you are obviously doing:patback:

Back