Does anyone else get this?

I've had people ask me, although their questions have been genuine. Others have been very kind ( a colleague at work asked me if it would be ok for me if he put a whole bunch of junk food by my desk as it was his birthday - he said he knew I was working on it hard, bless him).

There are just jackasses in the world and the last one ain't born yet. She seems like the type that would be a jackass whether she is or isn't on a diet, so screw her. Rise above it, make her idiocy your motivation and make yourself the person you want to be.

i never want kids, a decision i've had really since i was 18...i'm not maternal and i just don't have that feeling i'll ever want one. dogs - now that's different...maybe because i grew up with a famly who bred dogs and i've no younger siblings...but eitherway, i find it annyoing that people judge my choice.

as for the annoying colleague - thanks folks for the encouraging words!

im the same when it comes to dogs....and cats.....why would i want a baby when i have my cat noddy??? he is my baby! and then when we are able to, we want to get 2 rescue greyhounds....and they will be called Jeffery and Pheobe....i have it all planned out! :)

This thread made me laugh and to all those nasty people making comments one word JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!!! I would smile sweetly and have the last laugh. Revenge is a dish best served cold!!

I have 2 daughters (my bf has 2 daughters too). They are 23, 21, 21 and 19 - all gorgeous but all off hand. And I also have my gorgeous Bedlington Terrier - the love of my life lol who is curled up by my legs. So I guess you CAN have it all!!

Good luck to all the strong people on here - smile through all the negativity and you will be the better person x

I'm glad there are a few people on here that feel the same as me. I'm 36 and decided I didn't want children in my mid 20's and people ask all the time when I'm having them as I'm getting older. I just tell them that I don't want any and they reply with a slightly higher pitched voice - 'you don't want any? Why ever not?' I have been with my oh for 9 yrs and luckily for me he has 2 kids from a prev relationship so he is happy to go along with my decision.

i was diagnosed with pcos recently and the gp (a woman) was discussing how it could affect my fertility. when i said to her 'well,that doesn't bother me as much,i'm not fussed on having kids' - she seemed a bit shocked. i think other women do sometimes react like that when you tell them, almost if being a woman somehow gives you this internal instinct to want kids

Shirleen said:
Just wanted to add that, although I have kids and love them dearly, I am also grateful they're nearly off my hands! I know that makes me a terrible mum, I'm just a bit over it now!

Just wanted say - this doesn't make you a bad mum. It makes you HUMAN x

Shirleen said:
Quite love you Kingleds!

Well it true!! I HAVE a terrible mum - so i know what they look like & its nothing like you! My sister is the best mum i've met - she still longs for the day all four of them feck off to uni! Unfortunately she's got 14 years to go :)

Just wanted to add that, although I have kids and love them dearly, I am also grateful they're nearly off my hands! I know that makes me a terrible mum, I'm just a bit over it now!

Oh god, you've made me think about my whole life in this little paragraph!!

As I said in a previous post, I'm 32 and I still live at home as does my 28 year old brother. Parents are both now retired and should be starting their life, you know, properly and we're still under their feet. Worse than that, I've kinda moved my boyfriend in full time as well. All 3 of us pay rent/housekeeping so I'm not worried about the cost and Mum and Dad both say they wouldn't know what to do if the house was empty and quiet but I've never really looked at it from an outsiders point of view before.
www.rightmove.com yeah?!

i moved out about 2yrs ago (when i was just turning 28)... in comparison to all my friends,it was a late move out but it's certainly been a big step since moving out:D

To be honest, we've both moved out and back in because both of our careers took us away. I never expected to be living at home still at my age and honestly, both me and my brother are financially ready to go (how couldn't we be after all these years!) but then the market goes all weird, jobs are all under threat, house prices rocket etc.
I just don't think I'll grow up properly until I live by myself with a mortgage.

My friends used to laugh at me because I was so late moving out but now they have mortgages, babies, loans, credit card and I have hangovers and a million pairs of shoes! Every cloud...... ;)

Maybe i'm just bloody minded, but i have no desire to own my own house at all. I just don't want the responsibilty. Quite happy paying my landlord each month & not worrying about how the boiler will be fixed if it breaks!!

same here, i like the idea of renting and if something goes wrong - you call the landlord-that's what you're paying them for!

my dad said to me a few months back about getting a mortgage and i said, i just prefer renting. when you consider most european countries rent anyways, i don't know why the UK is so into the whole 'owning your own property' - i also like the flexibility, if i don't like the place,stick at it a year then move somewhere else:)

I'm the other way around. I really want to own my own home. Have something that's mine that I can do to it what I like. With my fella in the Forces though and at risk of being posted to the ar5e end of the world at 6 monthly intervals, I'm not even sure it's a good idea. Maybe we should hang on and get married and then get MOD accomodation. Too many decisions. Right now I can barely decide what's for dinner tonight!!

kingleds said:
Maybe i'm just bloody minded, but i have no desire to own my own house at all. I just don't want the responsibilty. Quite happy paying my landlord each month & not worrying about how the boiler will be fixed if it breaks!!

I hate having to rent and not being able to afford a mortgage.
Don't get me wrong, it's lively having someone else fix things, but this is the third house were on in 4 years because of landlords deciding to sell the house, and I hate having to drag my lo between houses. Luckily she's only just started school so no major biggy yet, but knowing our luck this will happen again :(

I hate having to rent and not being able to afford a mortgage.
Don't get me wrong, it's lively having someone else fix things, but this is the third house were on in 4 years because of landlords deciding to sell the house, and I hate having to drag my lo between houses. Luckily she's only just started school so no major biggy yet, but knowing our luck this will happen again :(

See I don't have, nor will I ever have kids, and I like the idea of being able to drop everything and go if necessary, and I still hang on to the vain hope that one day I will go travelling for a few years. I don't get phased by moving house, and I know i can always afford a studio flat if all else fails. It helps that neither myself or my hubby are really bothered about where we live, we are more interested in seeing really cool stuff and places.

If you think that you can, you can confront her and just say that you find it negative and upsetting and ask her nicely to please stop. It seems that people are not really used to being spoken directly to and will, generally, stop the behaviour once it's pointed out to them.

I would do that but i know what would happen, she'd apologise then tell the whole dept and the other depts about the whole thing and i don't want that either.
i was saying to someone about this in work and they're attitude was to just use her negativity to encourage me to do better. so i think i'll do that:)

I moved out at 19, bought my own place at 20, and sold it this year at 28 for £104.70 profit. I've moved into a rented place with my bloke, and seriously wish I'd always rented! Wasn't worth taking on extra debt for boiler repairs etc, should've stuck with renting (and will for the foreseeable) - the responsibility is overrated IMO!

On the actual topic, people often ask me about kids and things, and I tell them that I'm not interested / it's none of their business. Same with the 'when will you get married' crew... we've only been dating a year!

I'm the opposite coz I always wanted to own my own house, have kids & settle down. We chose to have all 3 really close together but I constantly get asked by strangers if they were planned!!! :mad: It used to annoy me because I always felt that people looked down their noses a bit because I was young & had 3 small kids when in fact we both worked hard & had owned my own home since I was 23!!!

Back