Does anyone ever have 15 syns??

OMG! I've only been doing SW for 4 weeks and I have barely been eating my syns, sometimes struggling to have the minimum of 5 :(
LOL!!!
I've lost 6lbs in 2 weeks (3rd weigh in tonight) and just trying to stick to free and superfree meals mostly. I've been using my syns on things like butter on my brown toast etc. Or olive oil for roasting pots and veg.
Nervous about this weeks weigh in as I had a Chinese last Thursday (although didn't eat all day prior to it!!!) and I also went out for a 3 course meal and cocktails on Fri night. I've been REALLY good ever since.
My group lady said I really need to eat all my syns every day, it would help. I guess I didn't believe her but you guys are all proof she's right lol!!!
Since my husband left 7 weeks ago - I barely have an appetite anyway. I can go days without eating dinner :(
Next week I will make a plan to ensure I have them and maybe relax a bit more.
xxx

OMG! I've only been doing SW for 4 weeks and I have barely been eating my syns, sometimes struggling to have the minimum of 5 :(
LOL!!!
I've lost 6lbs in 2 weeks (3rd weigh in tonight) and just trying to stick to free and superfree meals mostly. I've been using my syns on things like butter on my brown toast etc. Or olive oil for roasting pots and veg.
Nervous about this weeks weigh in as I had a Chinese last Thursday (although didn't eat all day prior to it!!!) and I also went out for a 3 course meal and cocktails on Fri night. I've been REALLY good ever since.
My group lady said I really need to eat all my syns every day, it would help. I guess I didn't believe her but you guys are all proof she's right lol!!!
Since my husband left 7 weeks ago - I barely have an appetite anyway. I can go days without eating dinner :(
Next week I will make a plan to ensure I have them and maybe relax a bit more.
xxx

The way you have to look at it is: Free/superfree foods are are low calorie. Your healthly extras are higher calorie and provide nutrition such as calcium/protein for the dairy, protein nuts and seeds and so on. The syns are used by people for 'naughty treats' such as cakes etc. but you really aren't doing yourself any favours by doing this. Mucking up blood sugar levels, encouraging more fat cells to be laid down etc. It is so much better to use at least 1/2 your syns on filling foods which compliment your meals or for snacks. It does annoy me when syns are used for crisps, a product which has little nutrition and doesn't fill you up an. The trick is to train yourself to see healthier items as a treat, not just chocolate and so on. Using it for healthy oils is a good idea as you need a certain amount of fat in your diet to lose weight(true). Also to keep all your bits healthy such as skin glowing, joints supple.:)

The way you have to look at it is: Free/superfree foods are are low calorie. Your healthly extras are higher calorie and provide nutrition such as calcium/protein for the dairy, protein nuts and seeds and so on. The syns are used by people for 'naughty treats' such as cakes etc. but you really aren't doing yourself any favours by doing this. Mucking up blood sugar levels, encouraging more fat cells to be laid down etc. It is so much better to use at least 1/2 your syns on filling foods which compliment your meals or for snacks. It does annoy me when syns are used for crisps, a product which has little nutrition and doesn't fill you up an. The trick is to train yourself to see healthier items as a treat, not just chocolate and so on. Using it for healthy oils is a good idea as you need a certain amount of fat in your diet to lose weight(true). Also to keep all your bits healthy such as skin glowing, joints supple.:)

You can use your syns for whatever you like tho-syn is short for synergy-meaning the third part of the jigsaw which make the healthy eating plan(along with free foods, and healthy extras)
If people want to use them for 'naughty foods' as you call them-they can! Alot of people already use syns for things like mayo or oil with their meals. The bit of your post I don't understand is where you say for them to be used for snacks-and then the next sentence on says people shouldn't use them for crisps! :confused:

Last edited:
You can use your syns for whatever you like tho-syn is short for synergy-meaning the third part of the jigsaw which make the healthy eating plan(along with free foods, and healthy extras)
If people want to use them for 'naughty foods' as you call them-they can! Alot of people already use syns for things like mayo or oil with their meals. The bit of your post I don't understand is where you say for them to be used for snacks-and then the next sentence on says people shouldn't use them for crisps! :confused:

Welshtigger, I 100% agree with you. There are people in my group who have lost 5 stone and more and many will say they have a bar of chocolate a day using their syns. Syns are worked out in terms of calories too, so it is all a synergy as you say. I don't think anybody can come on here and state what you should and shouldn't use your syns for.

Somedays I use mine for chocolate, or popcorn or.. godforbid crips, but 90% of my day is made up of healthy wholesome nutririous food, and I am losing weight. It has completely changed my diet because whereas before I would eat junk all day now I eat healthy all day and really appreciate the little treats along the way. I also save some syns for alcohol if I am going out at the weekend. Everyone knows alcohol isnt good for you, but you have to live!!! Why Slimming World works for so many people is because it is LIVEABLE. It fits in to every day life, and quite frankly a life without treats along the way is not a life I would enjoy. that is what I love about SW. I read through so many Food Diaries here, and many will use syns on chocolate. Other will use it on a take away (such as chicken and blackbean sauce from chinese, 5.5 syns) but it is completely their own business as if you shouldnt use them on this kind of thing the leaders of SW would say so. The losses are unbelievable because people HAVE changed how they think about food, their relationship with it, and what they eat every day.I know I certainly have. But would I enjoy to sit down at night with a 5 syn packet of Treble Crunch Crisps and a Fredo bar? YES. AND lose weight still? YES! Because 90% of the time I am being an angle and I follow the plan by the book 100%!

I use the full 15 every day, I have a syns shelf that I cannot reach without steps and it has fun size crunchies, maltesers, buttons etc, and marshmallows and shrimps, and velvet crunch.
I save all my syns until after tea and then my husband gets me down what I ask him to. I am hoping that one day I will have the control to keep them where I can reach them, however there are steps and a litter picker stick thing in easy reach if I wanted to blow it and rob the syn shelf I could, I would only be cheating myself though.

ps WOW, look how much weight you have lost! SO CLOSE to your target weight. Amazing :):):)

What an inspiration! xxx

Welshtigger, I 100% agree with you. There are people in my group who have lost 5 stone and more and many will say they have a bar of chocolate a day using their syns. Syns are worked out in terms of calories too, so it is all a synergy as you say. I don't think anybody can come on here and state what you should and shouldn't use your syns for.

Somedays I use mine for chocolate, or popcorn or.. godforbid crips, but 90% of my day is made up of healthy wholesome nutririous food, and I am losing weight. It has completely changed my diet because whereas before I would eat junk all day now I eat healthy all day and really appreciate the little treats along the way. I also save some syns for alcohol if I am going out at the weekend. Everyone knows alcohol isnt good for you, but you have to live!!! Why Slimming World works for so many people is because it is LIVEABLE. It fits in to every day life, and quite frankly a life without treats along the way is not a life I would enjoy. that is what I love about SW. I read through so many Food Diaries here, and many will use syns on chocolate. Other will use it on a take away (such as chicken and blackbean sauce from chinese, 5.5 syns) but it is completely their own business as if you shouldnt use them on this kind of thing the leaders of SW would say so. The losses are unbelievable because people HAVE changed how they think about food, their relationship with it, and what they eat every day.I know I certainly have. But would I enjoy to sit down at night with a 5 syn packet of Treble Crunch Crisps and a Fredo bar? YES. AND lose weight still? YES! Because 90% of the time I am being an angle and I follow the plan by the book 100%!

Exactly! What are treble crunch crisps tho-I like the sound of them-I can take or leave chocolate? But crisps are my weakness x

I have to agree, what is wrong with using your syns on chocolate or crisps, its not unhealthy to have a small amount of those things at all? The amount your syns add up to really doesn't make it unhealthy. We're eating healthy food all day, there's nothing wrong with having a little treat and that treat can be whatever people want it to be as long as its within their syns.

donna88 said:
I have to agree, what is wrong with using your syns on chocolate or crisps, its not unhealthy to have a small amount of those things at all? The amount your syns add up to really doesn't make it unhealthy. We're eating healthy food all day, there's nothing wrong with having a little treat and that treat can be whatever people want it to be as long as its within their syns.

Exactly, i agree. Because the syn value means its limited and controlled and for me anyway that lee-weigh helps keep me on track

Hi, that's because your brain automatically associates snacks with crisps, which as I said before does little nutritionally. As a snack is something that is eaten between meals, an apple can be a snack, a slice of toast, anything small and light. But you have hit my point on the head by saying 'syn is short for synergy-meaning the third part of the jigsaw which make the healthy eating plan', the onus being' a healthy eating' plan. Of course you can use your syns on crisps, but I challenge you to show that they are healthy, unless they are extremely low in fat, baked and have little msg, sweeteners in them:)

It is very interesting reading all of your replies and seeing how society works. If you re-read my posts you will see that I am not 'coming on here and saying what you should spend your syns on', I am merely challenging you to think outside the box. One man's 'treat' is another man's distaste and if you feel that having empty calories helps you, then who cares? All, I am saying, is that by changing your food attitudes whilst on the plan, you change them for life. I love chocolate and crisps, but I don't save my syns, every day for this.I use it once or twice a week because I know that I would be simply falling into a mind trap- a trap that is saying 'treat=sugar, fat etc'. A treat is subjective. Personally, I see a large juicy mango as a treat(and zero syns too!). A glass of wine-yes, love it. We are all only human...it's just that I am one of those peeps trying to see what makes the race tick and to change my attitudes for good:cool:

Hey guys I have just read this thread it's great and has valid points on all sides
I have hit a plateau so I am now using all 15 syns each day as it helps keep me on track
I believe this diet teaches you that you can have your favourite snack (choc and crisps) but in moderation so you don't feel deprived or just blow the whole diet if you have a naughty treat that's on offer, that's why there is a limit
I find its helpful as a chef surrounded by temptation all day cos I know that my nice food is in my bag ready for my break I don't need to nibble the food at work.
I have just bought a variety bag of baked crisps from aldi 18 bags for £1.49 (4.5syns a bag I believe) in bacon rashers, pickled onion monster claws and cheese grids, Yum! And their version of aplen light cereal bars or go ahead slices or sugar free boiled fruit sweets are all perfect for when I have a sweet tooth
Keep the ideas coming I like this thread
Thanx for reading guys

Hi, that's because your brain automatically associates snacks with crisps, which as I said before does little nutritionally. As a snack is something that is eaten between meals, an apple can be a snack, a slice of toast, anything small and light. But you have hit my point on the head by saying 'syn is short for synergy-meaning the third part of the jigsaw which make the healthy eating plan', the onus being' a healthy eating' plan. Of course you can use your syns on crisps, but I challenge you to show that they are healthy, unless they are extremely low in fat, baked and have little msg, sweeteners in them:)

I understand what you are saying but the point of syns is to make sure you don't feel deprived, and also a small amount of fat in your diet-be it only 200-300 cals worth a day is essential for a healthy diet-so that bit of what you're saying isn't actually correct. I just don't understand why you've come onto a SW forum to try and tell people that they shouldn't use their syns on treats that you think are bad, when SW has been successful for millions of people :confused:

It is very interesting reading all of your replies and seeing how society works. If you re-read my posts you will see that I am not 'coming on here and saying what you should spend your syns on', I am merely challenging you to think outside the box. One man's 'treat' is another man's distaste and if you feel that having empty calories helps you, then who cares? All, I am saying, is that by changing your food attitudes whilst on the plan, you change them for life. I love chocolate and crisps, but I don't save my syns, every day for this.I use it once or twice a week because I know that I would be simply falling into a mind trap- a trap that is saying 'treat=sugar, fat etc'. A treat is subjective. Personally, I see a large juicy mango as a treat(and zero syns too!). A glass of wine-yes, love it. We are all only human...it's just that I am one of those peeps trying to see what makes the race tick and to change my attitudes for good:cool:

You did say it annoys you when people use their syns for crisps, which does imply that your telling us not to use our syns on crisps though. It annoys me when the kids play on the road outside my house, because I don't think they should play on the road outside. I don't use my syns on alcohol very often as I'm not that huge a fan and I think its a waste, it doesn't annoy me when other people do though. It annoys me when people cheat on the plan and then moan when they don't loose, but that's because I don't think they should do it.
I also don't use many syns in my meals, but it doesn't annoy me when I see someone use 12 syns on a pre-packed lunch as that's what they've chosen to do and it doesn't effect me.

The whole point of SW is that nothing is banned, my C tells us this every week!
If people want to use there syns on a pack of crisps, and by having that bag of crisps they stay on plan and continue on to losing weight and getting healthier, then you have no right to tell people they shouldn't be eating crisps as they syns.
If foods like crisps and chocolate were completely banned from SW, then the plan wouldn't be as successful.
People are still changing there diet and moving towards a healthier lifestyle because they are eating these "naughty foods" in moderation, which is what healthy eating is all about, they are controlling what they eat and overall they still have a very healthy diet, and at the end of the day these foods may not have much nutritional value but having a little of what you fancy can hugely affect your mood and living a healthy life is about physical and mental wellbeing!!!!

You did say it annoys you when people use their syns for crisps, which does imply that your telling us not to use our syns on crisps though. It annoys me when the kids play on the road outside my house, because I don't think they should play on the road outside. I don't use my syns on alcohol very often as I'm not that huge a fan and I think its a waste, it doesn't annoy me when other people do though. It annoys me when people cheat on the plan and then moan when they don't loose, but that's because I don't think they should do it.
I also don't use many syns in my meals, but it doesn't annoy me when I see someone use 12 syns on a pre-packed lunch as that's what they've chosen to do and it doesn't effect me.

The whole point of SW is that nothing is banned, my C tells us this every week!
If people want to use there syns on a pack of crisps, and by having that bag of crisps they stay on plan and continue on to losing weight and getting healthier, then you have no right to tell people they shouldn't be eating crisps as they syns.
If foods like crisps and chocolate were completely banned from SW, then the plan wouldn't be as successful.
People are still changing there diet and moving towards a healthier lifestyle because they are eating these "naughty foods" in moderation, which is what healthy eating is all about, they are controlling what they eat and overall they still have a very healthy diet, and at the end of the day these foods may not have much nutritional value but having a little of what you fancy can hugely affect your mood and living a healthy life is about physical and mental wellbeing!!!!
Agree x a million

Going on a diet pre-SW for me meant cutting out all the foods that I enjoyed and made me over weight in first place. It never lasted because I deprived myself and then just binged.

Being on SW has taught me I can still have these foods in moderation and be healthy at the same time. Some of the things I use my syns for are quite healthy like olives and some not so like crisps and chocolate. Either way without them i wouldn't be sticking to plan and wouldn't have learnt about moderation (I won't actually die if I just have a treat size bar of choc rather than the family size!)

Also food is not just about fuel for the body it's also about feelings and emotions too and if eating chocolate/crisps makes you feel good go for it cause knowing your enjoying them fully on plan and guilt free makes you feel even better!

I must be a terrible slimmer. Last Sunday I had a 26.5-syn portion of chocolate fudge cake with ice cream. It was massive and delicious. Somehow I still dropped four pounds this week. Go figure. :p

Back