Does anyone know of a 'snack-type' bar that is healthy?

I think I've seen the Atkins bars in tescos xx

Ah i will have a look at the go ahead bars thanks scots :)

I got a slimfast snack bar in tescos today just under 100 cals but i haven't tried it yet - it was 38p. They did have the Atkins bars but they were just under £6 for a box of 5 .... bit steep but I don't know of they're supposed to be meal replacements. I didn't have time to investigate further. xx

I think they are jan.

Hey guess what i found out; Special K do meal replacement bars, protein water and lots of other stuff alike but its only available in America .... thats just not fair! :sigh: lol

http://www.specialk.com/#/Products

gillian mckeith does nice bars. there was a purple one called the love bar i used to have ages ago that was lovely.
i don't think they're particularly low fat cos they have lots of nuts in them but from memory i think they're low in saturated fat and carbs.

Well, theres no real 'amount' of fat, but it's generally recommended to eat foods that have less than 5% fat in them- which they don't!

Sorry, just interrupting here but just seen this. Recommended way of eating is about 30% of calories from fat.

Of course, there are low fat diets to reduce weight, as there are low carb diets, but never the twain should meet.

If you are low fat dieting, you would aim for 5 to 10%, but this is short term, just until goal. Your carbs would be higher during this period.

If you are low carbing to lose weight, your fats will be higher. Probably higher than 30% even. Some go up to about 70%.

If you low carb and low fat, then you high protein. Protein is vital when you are dieting. Too much is a strain on your kidneys.

But as I said before, generally, healthy eating is 30% fat, and the majority of that from healthy fats such as nuts, oily fish, olive oil etc.

About the snack bars. I would say that very few of them are really healthy.

Don't confuse a diet bar with a health bar, in the same way as it's best not to confuse diet products as a regular part of 'normal' healthy eating.

They serve two different purposes.

I rarely eat snack bars as most are high in some sort of sugar. I believe the go lower ones aren't though...but haven't tried.

Of course, a one off wont hurt, but remember it wouldn't be the healthiest choice.

About the snack bars. I would say that very few of them are really healthy.

Don't confuse a diet bar with a health bar, in the same way as it's best not to confuse diet products as a regular part of 'normal' healthy eating.

They serve two different purposes.

I rarely eat snack bars as most are high in some sort of sugar. I believe the go lower ones aren't though...but haven't tried.

Of course, a one off wont hurt, but remember it wouldn't be the healthiest choice.

Thanks for that KD as I have tried to steer away from snack bars for a breakfast on the run (in the car:rolleyes:) as I thought most were high in sugar.:D

Been eating an apple or picking from a tub of grapes on the passenger seat and its definitely helping to curb the 11am munchies that used to strike!!:eek::eek::D

An apple and a handful of almonds is a fantastic snack Lacey. Okay, the apple is a little higher in carbs for those trying to low carb, but can fit into a low carb way of eating if that is what the original poster wants....sorry was it Irish Mum :eek:

Apple and almonds is a good source of all the macronutrients, healthy fats, carbs and protein.

I think many of us have dieted for so long, that it's easy to believe that what is recommended for a diet is the same as what is recommended for healthy eating long term.

The government guideline percentages for healthy eating are 55/15/30 (carbs, fat, protein), others say 50/20/30. It's all around those marks. For healthy eating they suggest cutting down to 30% fat. For a low fat diet, they recommended 5 to 10% fat. Hence the difference.

BTW the low fat movement is very dated now. Seems to have got stuck in the UK. The idea is that if you reduce fats, you will reduce calories as fat has more cals per gram than the other nutrients, so you get more food for your alloted calorie allowance. It dates back years and years...early 1900s I believe and many people now think it's well past it's sell by date ;)

The government guideline percentages for healthy eating are 55/15/30 (carbs, fat, protein), others say 50/20/30. It's all around those marks. For healthy eating they suggest cutting down to 30% fat. For a low fat diet, they recommended 5 to 10% fat. Hence the difference.

It's probably me .... don't understand :( .. which figure is the fat? x

I edited to explain what i was querying as i didn't think it was clear - probably cross posted sorry :) x

An apple and a handful of almonds is a fantastic snack Lacey. Okay, the apple is a little higher in carbs for those trying to low carb, but can fit into a low carb way of eating if that is what the original poster wants....sorry was it Irish Mum :eek:

I'm gonna stick to that for now then as I can stomach an apple at that early hour and breakfast has always been a challenge for me and I have to force myself:rolleyes:. Starting to like apples again :D
Apple and almonds is a good source of all the macronutrients, healthy fats, carbs and protein.

That makes me smile. Good old almonds eh? :)

I think many of us have dieted for so long, that it's easy to believe that what is recommended for a diet is the same as what is recommended for healthy eating long term.

Very good point and got me thinking about that as it's true!

BTW the low fat movement is very dated now. Seems to have got stuck in the UK. The idea is that if you reduce fats, you will reduce calories as fat has more cals per gram than the other nutrients, so you get more food for your alloted calorie allowance. It dates back years and years...early 1900s I believe and many people now think it's well past it's sell by date ;)

I agree, 100% on that point :)

I edited to explain what i was querying as i didn't think it was clear - probably cross posted sorry :) x

Ahh, I see it now. I was too quick replying :D

55/15/30 would be

55% calories from carbs
15% calories from protein
30% calories from fats
====

30% is considered moderately low fat. Fats are important for good health. Protein is vital for dieting...absolutely the most important macronutrient ever.
Carbs are 'whatever' is left :D

A very low fat diet for weight reduction could go as low as 5 to 10% fat, but obviously that leaves more for the other 2 macros, protein and carbs. 80 to 85%. Too much protein isn't good for long, so a very low fat diet would generally end up being high carb.

That makes me smile. Good old almonds eh? :)

Teehee. Me and my almonds hey. Had to get it in somewhere :D

KD said:

Lacey said:
Very good point and got me thinking about that as it's true!

I know that when I finished with dieting, I had to try to get to grips with the 55/15/30, just to see what the general recommendations were really all about.

I know some people wish to carry on low carbing for the rest of their lives, and that's their choice. I knew it couldn't work for me as the havoc it plays on the scales would do my head in and it would restrict a food group too much for me. Also I don't think they've decided yet whether it's okay long term, but I understand people wanting to try it anyway.

55/15/30 didn't work perfectly for me though. I did work around it for a couple of years but found 50/20/30 worked better for me. Not that I count, but have now sort of got the idea of what it consists of.

Ah! Thanks KD. Great explanation. My confusion arose because in your initial post you had 'carbs/fat/protein' not 'carbs/protein/fat' and I didn't understand how you could cut down to 30% fat when the original figure was 15 or 20 .... I should have realised - well it's late ;) xx

Ah! Thanks KD. Great explanation. My confusion arose because in your initial post you had 'carbs/fat/protein' not 'carbs/protein/fat' and I didn't understand how you could cut down to 30% fat when the original figure was 15 or 20 .... I should have realised - well it's late ;) xx

whoops. Silly me. The times I do that and confuse people! :eek: Sorry Jan!

Hiya. I try and live by the protein highest rule now. I tend to focus on low carb and fat where possible. When I treat myself I just make sure it is an INFORMED treat, i.e. when you see 60g plus for carbs it does make you think twice about eating stuff..I just wouldn't eat something high in fat just so it is very low in carbs (as with Atkins).

Re: your original question - I always take soup if there was a micro or a mullerlight yoghurt if there is a fridge...but am still looking for the holy grail snack bar to tide me over too (ugh...remember the LT flapjacks!!!). I love tracker bars but they are too high in the wrong stuff and just seem to increase my hunger :(

Maybe the FoodDoctor seedbags ????

Okay- I've been off-line so I apologise for the late post to clarify- but I've confused you all!! LOL!

KD- when I quoted the 5% figure I meant per 'food' (i.e. per biscuit, piece of meat/fish, slice of bread, etc. etc.) , not per 'day'!! I know we need a certain amount of healthy fats every day- I always try to include oily fish, nuts or flaxseed in my daily intake to bump up my intake!

What I was looking for was a bar that I can have instead of a bag of chips, or a burger, or a chinese if we're out & about for a whole day (away from a fridge/microwave!) and theres no 'healthy' choices available- so I guess it is a meal replacement bar I'm looking for!
Sorry to send you all off on a percentage debate/thread!

KD- when I quoted the 5% figure I meant per 'food' (i.e. per biscuit, piece of meat/fish, slice of bread, etc. etc.) , not per 'day'!!

In percentages though, it's the same thing. Ummm. :confused:

Good to hear you are having other healthy fats to make up the total though, but though I'm not one for snack bars, you can get healthy fats in them too, so maybe a nutty one with a higher percentage of fats if you're stuck? Just a thought.

Back