does anyone NOT weigh themselves every week?

debtin

Gold Member
hi everyone. Decided to not weigh myself for a few weeks to try and keep myself motivated better. Does anyone else do this? Been doing 30 day shred and only on day 10 but i havent seen any inch loss and 2lb loss in 3 weeks which is still good but for me i build up the weigh in to the point that i feel down when it doesnt show me what i want to see. I will weigh myself at day 30 of the shred, up my water and give my whole eating habits a shake up. Since i last weighed i am eating rubbish therefore feeling rubbish & for me it messes with my head. Wish me luck x

I went for months doing the plan and never weighing myself. Didn;t own a set of scales, didn't want to, and definitely didn't want to get caught up in the emotional roller coaster of weekly weigh-in that I see on here. People getting so would up when the big day approaches, perhaps restricting what they eat on the day, and feeling a failure if they sts or perhaps don't lose as much as they think they should. That just always seemed an incredible ordeal to put yourself through each week. And if it's having such a negative effect on you then yes perhaps you should consider this as well. it's good to have other measures of success such as losing inches and getting fitter, but you can also set your own challenges eg so many days 100%, different evening meal every day for a month and so on.

Good luck!

Ohhh I would love that, except I go to class so they tell u when u step onto the scales.

Good luck, if i was doing it at home I would definately try not to weigh myself

i do sw at home and the only time i weigh myself is once every three months (next time is last sat of march) i know i sounds totaly odd and crazy, but i got very upset when weighing myself every week and i sts, put on a pound or just lost a little bit even when i had worked so hard at the gym and kept 100% with the food.

So, every three months i go to my local boots and weigh in, been doing it for over a year now.. it works for me maybe not everyone else.

I weigh myself every day as soon as i get up in the morning i hav a wee then jump on the scales, i no its wrong but its somethin i hav to do otherwise it plays on my mind all day

Malc-D said:
i do sw at home and the only time i weigh myself is once every three months (next time is last sat of march) i know i sounds totaly odd and crazy, but i got very upset when weighing myself every week and i sts, put on a pound or just lost a little bit even when i had worked so hard at the gym and kept 100% with the food.

So, every three months i go to my local boots and weigh in, been doing it for over a year now.. it works for me maybe not everyone else.

I think this is a fab idea, I couldn't do it myself I need to see each week. However there is nothing worse when u know u hav had a good week and it doesn't show.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Although it can be frustrating if the WI doesn't show what you want it to, I could not go so long not knowing. I like to know so I can have a look at what I can improve on each week. Waiting for WI motivates me to keep going - I'd lose motivation so quickly if I had to wait such a long time.

I don't weigh myself either. When I used to go to classes the ordeal of getting weighed used to send me into obsessive crash diet mode when I was doing well, and binge mode if the scales went up. Not healthy at all. I'd rather just feel confident that if I am doing the right things, my body will agree.

I think going longer than a week between weighing allows your fluxuations to balance out, so you are less likely to be in the situation where you have followed plan but not seen the results you want. I know that it's difficult to gauge how you are doing without weighing, but I don't think I could deal with constantly trying to beat targets that seem to set me up for failure.

That's just me though. Good luck with the rest of the shred. I hear it's killer!

I would love to be this strong!!! I can't resist weighing myself every day (and a few times a day on a bad day!)
I agree - you should focus on your body not the scales, not if only i could bring myself to throw mine away then stop the panic on a Tue morning (wi day) when not as expected! x

I've been thinking about weighing once a month instead of every week. I'm lucky if I lose 1-2lb a month even though I've stuck to plan. I'm very much about the number on the scales, I know people say don't let it get to you but I'm on SW to lose weight so if I'm not losing weight I'm bound to get frustrated over the number. I'm still thinking about trying it weighing after 4weeks. I'm worried it'll have a reverse effect & I won't stick to plan knowing I have no weigh in for a while...undecided.

If you do only weigh on day 30 after the shred, make sure you take your measurements. I managed about 15 days & definitely noticed myself toning up, I couldn't carry on as I was a bit bored, I like variety when it comes to exercise.

Do you know i am so glad i put this question out to everyone. It is so reassuring to know that what i feel/expect from the scales & how it can effect me is shared by others. Thought i was taking it too far & becoming obsessed but i guess if you go by scales you can quite literally take the results to heart. My other half, when i told him my plan, said it was good idea as there has been days (after following plan and dvd) when i said i felt so much better but when wi day came my mood changed and usually for the worse. Yes in the past the weigh in day would help me but the losses were more consistent and it was like a "buzz" - since doing excercise it has all changed and not happening quick enough for me but i know in the long run it will do me so much good so will weigh in once i am finished. Took some measurements when i started, havent did the workout since Wed (longest time not doing it) but will be back on track tomorrow. Also i work part time and my eating habits on my days off need kicked into shape. Will take measurements and advise how it went. Thanks everyone and good luck x

Ohhh I would love that, except I go to class so they tell u when u step onto the scales.

Good luck, if i was doing it at home I would definately try not to weigh myself

You can still do it at class. Just tell them you want to do a blind weigh-in and they won't tell you how much you have lost. ;)

I agree with chipmunk. I rater weigh myself every week and if I have not lost then have the opportunity to take postive steps and make changes. However, if I weighed once a month or however long I decide and very losses shown then I will be dishartened and would be more likely to give up.

I know the weigh in affect each person differently but I prefer weekly WI.

I had about 6 weeks of 'not-knowing' how I had done. After more than two years on plan, my losses are quite slow and I found that the day after weigh in was an autopsy on how I had done that week.

Barring the rare night out, I stick to plan 100% and still keep a food diary. Even on 'good' weeks I still can't be guaranteed a loss and my consultant can see nothing wrong. Having become slightly disillusioned with the whole see-saw of emotions around weigh in, I got weighed every week, but asked them not to tell me how I had done. The first couple of weeks I was curious but then embraced the mystery ;) !! I found that I was much more relaxed between weigh ins and the 'who's won slimmer of the week?' question was much more exciting!!!!

Now I get on the scales and look. I like knowing (born nosey!!) but am happy to go to 'blind weeks' if I find myself becoming obsessed again!!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

This has got to be a "whatever works for you " thing , for me NOT weighing would mean my head would be free to play all sorts of games with me !
I am one of those who can look in the mirror & totally make up what I see , I know that I think I'm fat when I'm not & slimmer than I think on other occasions so I need to keep a check on where I am , I've not got too fixated on the numbers though as although it's really slow, because I don't feel deprived or hungry I am not looking to see when this "diet" will be over as I could quite happily eat like this forever !!
So as long as I don't stop losing altogether , a weekly weigh in will just reassure me that all is well and I can keep plodding in towards a slimmer happier me !!

I like my scales "sat nav " to guide me , I think I would get lost quite quickly or take wrong turnings without them , but some people don't need a map and can keep going to their destination without , we are all different !

What an interesting thread! Thanks for starting it, I may try to go a whole month without weighing!! xx

I never weigh myself at home.....no point paying for the club as that's one if not the most important things you go to club for as well as the support ,I certainly wouldn't weigh every day....your weight fluctuates throughout the day and on a daily basis that's why the club runs weekly and not daily :)

I try not to have a sneeky peek but is really hard! I have stopped everyday though. I allow myself one midweek weigh and one just before club. I wish I could get out of the habit. I am a scaleaholic :D

Last edited:
Back