Does anyone struggle with planning meals?

Chipsticks

I've just spent the last 2 hours trying to plan the next 4 days meals!!! Why am I finding it so hard? lol

I'd decide on one meal, then realise I've got something in the fridge that needs using, or that I've already used a Hex for that day, etc etc etccccc

Please tell me it gets easier.... ? Haha

:slap::giveup:

I usually choose something that I really want to make and if I have any ingredients that are better used quicker like veg, I'll plan the next days meal with that in mind. I think it is easier to fill up the week then :)

I have a look in my fridge and cupboards to give me an idea of what we have. Also this sounds a bit OCD but it isn't I promise we keep a freezer list if everything that is in our freezer and I use that to plan as well. We also update it as we go along so once something gets used it gets crossed off. So I might think we have mince in the freezer what can I make with that,. Also make sure you think about your week if you are going to be home late etc.

I have a look in my fridge and cupboards to give me an idea of what we have. Also this sounds a bit OCD but it isn't I promise we keep a freezer list if everything that is in our freezer and I use that to plan as well. We also update it as we go along so once something gets used it gets crossed off. So I might think we have mince in the freezer what can I make with that,. Also make sure you think about your week if you are going to be home late etc.

Not OCD at all, I'm always forgetting what's in mine, sounds like a good idea to me.

I decided on doner kebab for tomorrow, then remembered I'm out all afternoon, debated swapping the dinner with another day, but then realise I've already used my hexb for the day I want to switch to, arghhhh. Ended up making the doner mix up half an hour ago... Lol.

Maybe it will get easier when I plan before shopping, rather than having to fit with what's in the fridge. :rolleyes:

Sent from my HTC One using MiniMins.com mobile app

I usually tend to try out meals that i want to cook especially/want to try for the first time a little later on in the week and for example, we had some chicken and various veg etc today so i'll probably make a sw stir fry type thing tomorrow to use the veg/chicken etc. I find it easy to sit on a sunday, take a look at any leftovers from the weekend etc, plan a couple of days of using leftovers then start from scratch later on when i havent got some old broccoli needing to be used sitting at the back of my mind haha :D

I think it does get a lot easier after a while, you kinda get used to making the most of leftovers and making your social plans & meal plans work together, plus you might even find there's meals that you'll really enjoy so you'll make enough to freeze/last over a couple of days that will take a little bit of planning related "stress" off your hands for a few days :)

Both the website and the magazine have sample weekly menu plans which you could use to help you get started. Of course these don't take into account what you already have in your fridge or freezer, but even if you don't use the whole weeks worth they might help with ideas. My planning for tea is rather disorganised I'm afraid - a combination of what I have already, what I am in the mood for, what i have already eaten during the day, what has inspired me in the magazine or by browsing my recipe books and how much time I will have when I get home. However for work day breakfast and lunches I am very organised and well planned because I simply don't get time to think or prepare stuff in the morning before work.

I don't plan either, but I do have staples in & I know I can make something around them, so I'll have potatoes, rice, pasta, tinned toms, veggies (fresh & frozen), quorn products in oh baked beans!!! So if I fancy say fish, and don't know what to have with it I go on allrecipies.co.uk for ideas & generally find something I fancy.;)

I can't plan my meals in advance to save my life. I'm useless at planning. I tend to batch cook as I live alone and freeze things like chilli, curries, and soups. Every week I try to plan around my shifts, but it never quite works out. Say I fancy chicken and I'm on earlies I always forget to get the chicken out before work. (I leave at 5 so I'm never fully awake). I tend to plan my days off with slow cooker recipes and snack such as scotch eggs, quiche.

CJ

Glad it's not just me then, lol.

I really need to get to grips with it though, more often than not I have 3 meals to get ready, the kids, the OH and mine, so just want to get to grips with mine at least, so I can prepare stuff in advance if possible.

I spreadsheet all the pantry /freezer items weekly

Basically I always get fruit / yoghurt/ quorn/ wholemeal rolls for myself.

Other staples I don't buy weekly

I do a batch of soup weekly

Take same things into work :
Frozen portions soup
Mugshots & veggies
Rice
Fruit
Hex b bars

I rarely have cooked dinner. So just ensure I've always got fruit/yog

So I'll plan 5 days food but its not necessarily eaten in that order. I eat what I fancy - otherwise I tend to feel sick!

So this week I've got
4 batches soup for work
Quorn steak x2
Low fat sausages
Quorn burgers

Stuff for big salad

I just plan meals when I shop for OH ..I'm not so regimented myself but sorting two different diets takes planning of sorts!

I love my food store spreadsheet lol x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MiniMins.com mobile app

I spreadsheet all the pantry /freezer items weekly

Basically I always get fruit / yoghurt/ quorn/ wholemeal rolls for myself.

Other staples I don't buy weekly

I do a batch of soup weekly

Take same things into work :
Frozen portions soup
Mugshots & veggies
Rice
Fruit
Hex b bars

I rarely have cooked dinner. So just ensure I've always got fruit/yog

So I'll plan 5 days food but its not necessarily eaten in that order. I eat what I fancy - otherwise I tend to feel sick!

So this week I've got
4 batches soup for work
Quorn steak x2
Low fat sausages
Quorn burgers

Stuff for big salad

I just plan meals when I shop for OH ..I'm not so regimented myself but sorting two different diets takes planning of sorts!

I love my food store spreadsheet lol x

What a great idea! I'm useless with spread sheets would love this x

I am a rubbish planner too! I do tend to occasionally batch cook then wing it from one day to the next with other meals... Occasionaly If I know what's coming up in the week, I'll plan but it usually just takes the form of a rough idea in my mind!!

I do however keep a freezer inventory... so I'm not completely disorganised!!

I think you do whatever works for you, we're all different xx

I plan mine weekly, I find this really helps and also stops me spending too much on food. I usually get my shopping delivered on a weekend so I plan from Sunday through to the next Saturday night. I just plan dinners though! Lunches I tend to just wing it..... Always have staples in like pasta, tins of tuna, jacket potatoes, beans, eggs....

For example tonight I had planned pasta bake so knew I was using my hexa on that, knew I wasn't going to have pasta for lunch because don't want the same thing twice in a day. So for lunch I had a mushroom omelette. I made 4 portions of pasta bake so there's 2 gone into the freezer for another night. To be honest I find planning quite easy lol apart from when my boyfriend doesn't fancy the same things as me!

My OH never wants the same as me grrrr lol. The main reason I want to plan is because I seem to be spending shed loads on food, but also because I have a habit of standing at the fridge/cupboard wondering what on earth to eat, then it gets to be like 11am and I still haven't eaten, or I won't have lunch till 3pm, then I'm having something rubbish I really don't enjoy because nothing was planned.
I had meals planned today so enjoyed them more, and ate at 'normal' times. :)

Sent from my HTC One using MiniMins.com mobile app

I always do OH tea first. Eat fruit then make mine later! We never eat the same lol

He'll eat whatever I put down so that's easy! I am much more fussy. .if I don't fancy something I'd rather have nothing! !

Once the freezer/cupboard has basics its easier to make do and stretch opposed to having to buy food every few days

I'm struggling but the list of things in the freezer and cupboards is a good idea x

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Back