does being overweight make me less of a person ?

broadsbean

Gold Member
Why is it that people feel that they can say what they like to fat people :eek:

At work yesterday i was dealing with some angry people, and even though i was not responsible for there problem they seemed to feel it was acceptable to call me names,:sigh:

does being overweight/obese make me less of a person, does it mean i have no feelings, Does it effect my intelligence :confused:

why would my weight be any of there buisness:rolleyes:

Sometimes i really want to slap some people !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is it just me or does everybody get this level of abuse

Hi - being overweight does not make you less of a person at all, you are as valuable and worthwhile as anyone else skinny, fat or 'normal' weight.

You said yourself they were already angry, in my experience when people are angry sometimes they will take it out on others anyway they can including name calling, and insults about weight are one of the easiest ways to do it.

Sending you big hugs in the meantime becuase it is horrible when people do that :bighug:

Incidentally one way I deal with this kind of anger at work, is to mentally separate whether someone is personally angry at me, or at what I represent.

Mainly I've worked in hospitals, and had some very difficult patients/customers there, but also worked in prison as well.

9 times out of 10, unless you're a total ***** (!) people are angry at what you represent rather than you as a person.

You are part of the system telling them that they can't have what they want, or that they can but they need to wait their turn, or giving them bad news, or wearing a uniform that makes you part I the "enemy" even when you are actually there to help. In those situations it doesn't much matter what you say or do those kind of people will be angry and throw insults.

The only way to stay sane is to remember that! X

this literally sums up the situation, I work in a hospital i was trying to help being told that the care would be better (bearing in mind i wasn't responsible for the care) if i got of my fat lazy backside and did some work was totally uncalled for :confused:

I know they were angry, I know they are grieving and understand that they were just lashing out, and i was the person handy direct it at. But i hate that they make it so personal.

I have done this job for a very long time and on the whole can take it on the chin but sometimes it really gets to you xx

A patient once said to me "you're a big girl hate to meet you on a dark night!!! I said to them I find that offensive and will get a collegue to asses you all in front if a full waiting room! Patients and rels came up to me later and said how well I managed the situation.But it's not always easy to find the words at the time.

Unfortunatley it doesn't matter if your big or small, if people are angry they will take it out on whoever is infront of them as they are the closest target. It is hard to take sometimes and there is no need for it but i find that most people are more interested in themselves that they seldom think about others or their feelings.
I get the opposite which is just as annoying. People always walk into me especially in the supermarket. I'm 6ft 2inches and 19 stone for petes sake how can i be invisible?

Smeagolminded said:
Unfortunatley it doesn't matter if your big or small, if people are angry they will take it out on whoever is infront of them as they are the closest target. It is hard to take sometimes and there is no need for it but i find that most people are more interested in themselves that they seldom think about others or their feelings.
I get the opposite which is just as annoying. People always walk into me especially in the supermarket. I'm 6ft 2inches and 19 stone for petes sake how can i be invisible?

I know what you mean,I' m 5ft10 and when that comment wasmade was 17st 2lb!!

Back