Does Dieting Work?

I think I'd say 'define dieting??' diet just means what you eat. If you have gained weight thru eating badly then you wont lose weight without changing what you eat. So realistically I'd say whatever method you choose is 'dieting' .....whether it's an organised plan or a DIY job.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

What a lot of rubbish. I wonder if that dr got their doctorate from the same place as Gillian McKeith

No, diets don't work - permanent changes to your lifestyle work but not diets where you change your behaviour only until you reach target. Revert back to old habits and it's inevitable that you will regain.

I have to agree that diets dont work, as Starlight and Circes have said, its the long term changes that make the difference.

I would have been better off if I had never gone on a diet in the first place 35 years ago. I have spent 35 years dieting and just ending up bigger each time. Diets make you fat, and im glad that there is research into this that proves that.

Its your own mindset that makes the difference, you have to change your mental attitude to food and why you eat it. You have to accept that the changes you make are permanent, not a quick fix, if you lose the weight you simply cannot go back again, because if you do so will the weight.

I would back up that article by saying I tried to diet but it ended up making more more hungry and depressed, food for me is not just about inputting nutrients for essential life support, but rather it is something I enjoy and value the time consuming it.

I think too many people disregard exercise. If we look at the last 1000 years, not many dieted and there was very little obesity. We are living in times now where there is record number of these cases and I think lifestyle is the problem. One must consider how much exercise society is getting as whole.

Back in the olden days, exercise was not needed because of type of job people had, more laborious, even getting to place of work or school required walking. Now we have the tube, or cars or buses which take us, and a lot of sit and work.

Eating is a natural process, we do not think before we do it because it is the way humans are designed. A car will only accept a certain amount of petrol before it accepts no more, unfortunately we do not have that stop. We can count calories and eat smaller portions, but with relationships, uni, work, jobs, birthdays, weddings etc how can we possibly maintain that over a large period of time?

Exercise must again be promoted and somehow formed into everyday life if as a society we are to return back to the glory days.

I agree Konvictz, but we do also have more available food than at any other time in the history of our species, so personally I think it's both.

I have to say that I think the title is a little bit sensationalist, but I do agree with the research, I know so many people who diet and diet and diet and either regain the weight the minute they stop dieting or never really lose any, so 5 years later they weigh the same or more. The only way to keep weight off is to see a diet as a long term solution. I will never be off a "diet" again because being off a diet meant I ate what I wanted when I wanted and ended up very unhealthy, but that "diet" is becoming more of a maintenance diet than a weightloss one.

Back