Does Dieting Work?

Discussion in 'General Weight Loss Discussion' started by Konvictz, 3 June 2011 Social URL.

1. Konvictz

Konvictz Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st13lb
    Current Weight:
    10st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st5lb
    Lost(%):
    2st10lb(20.99%)
    Diet:
    No diet just running and weight training.
    interesting article I read, recently I have been discouraged from dieting, as people have told me it is not a sustainable way to lose weight.

Scientists Say Dieting Does Not Work

what do you guys think?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Legomom

Legomom Gold Member

Start Weight:
    17st5lb
    Current Weight:
    14st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st7lb(14.4%)
    Diet:
    Slimming world
    I think I'd say 'define dieting??' diet just means what you eat. If you have gained weight thru eating badly then you wont lose weight without changing what you eat. So realistically I'd say whatever method you choose is 'dieting' .....whether it's an organised plan or a DIY job.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

4. Starlight

Starlight Gold Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    What a lot of rubbish. I wonder if that dr got their doctorate from the same place as Gillian McKeith

5. Circes

Circes Strutting her stuff

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    7st5lb(41.2%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    No, diets don't work - permanent changes to your lifestyle work but not diets where you change your behaviour only until you reach target. Revert back to old habits and it's inevitable that you will regain.

6. Starlight

Starlight Gold Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    Dieting will get the weight off but as Circes says unless you change habits youll gain the weight back

Diets do what they say on the tin but ultimately it's down to us if we succeed long term or not

7. Lynn_

Lynn_ On A Mission!

Start Weight:
    17st9lb
    Current Weight:
    10st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    7st0lb(39.68%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Diabetic/Low carb
    I have to agree that diets dont work, as Starlight and Circes have said, its the long term changes that make the difference.

I would have been better off if I had never gone on a diet in the first place 35 years ago. I have spent 35 years dieting and just ending up bigger each time. Diets make you fat, and im glad that there is research into this that proves that.

Its your own mindset that makes the difference, you have to change your mental attitude to food and why you eat it. You have to accept that the changes you make are permanent, not a quick fix, if you lose the weight you simply cannot go back again, because if you do so will the weight.

8. Konvictz

Konvictz Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st13lb
    Current Weight:
    10st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st5lb
    Lost(%):
    2st10lb(20.99%)
    Diet:
    No diet just running and weight training.
    I would back up that article by saying I tried to diet but it ended up making more more hungry and depressed, food for me is not just about inputting nutrients for essential life support, but rather it is something I enjoy and value the time consuming it.

I think too many people disregard exercise. If we look at the last 1000 years, not many dieted and there was very little obesity. We are living in times now where there is record number of these cases and I think lifestyle is the problem. One must consider how much exercise society is getting as whole.

Back in the olden days, exercise was not needed because of type of job people had, more laborious, even getting to place of work or school required walking. Now we have the tube, or cars or buses which take us, and a lot of sit and work.

Eating is a natural process, we do not think before we do it because it is the way humans are designed. A car will only accept a certain amount of petrol before it accepts no more, unfortunately we do not have that stop. We can count calories and eat smaller portions, but with relationships, uni, work, jobs, birthdays, weddings etc how can we possibly maintain that over a large period of time?

Exercise must again be promoted and somehow formed into everyday life if as a society we are to return back to the glory days.

9. TTfan

TTfan Full Member

Start Weight:
    85kg
    Current Weight:
    61.4kg
    Goal Weight:
    60kg
    Lost(%):
    23.6kg(27.75%)
    Diet:
    calorie counting and healthy eating
    I agree Konvictz, but we do also have more available food than at any other time in the history of our species, so personally I think it's both.

I have to say that I think the title is a little bit sensationalist, but I do agree with the research, I know so many people who diet and diet and diet and either regain the weight the minute they stop dieting or never really lose any, so 5 years later they weigh the same or more. The only way to keep weight off is to see a diet as a long term solution. I will never be off a "diet" again because being off a diet meant I ate what I wanted when I wanted and ended up very unhealthy, but that "diet" is becoming more of a maintenance diet than a weightloss one.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.