Does exercise help or hinder your weightloss?

Hiya, I was just wondering if exercise does actually help your weight loss?

I had assumed YES but after reading another members tracker they had a week where they said they only lost 1.5lb because they had done too much exercise :confused: and its now put me off doing any in case I don't lose as much as I would have!

Does anyone else has an experience of either losing more/less than usual because of exercise?
I asked my pharmacist but she was clueless

Thanks xx

Hey, well it's strange because my pharmacist gave me a list of exercises and the benefits of it and was very encouraging of it but only after the first week (as she felt for anyone it would be too much to have to go through such big changes and to also use up your scarce resources though exercise). I mean it is a very low calorie diet so in terms of exercise, would probably be best to keep it moderate and drink extra water to compensate if you sweat.... I used to go on 6 hour bike rides every other day so I don't think that would be helpful as i've heard people mention about your body going into survival mode where it will just try hold onto everything... but certainly the advice from the pharmacist was to keep the exercise moderate as it would help contribute... I suppose the best way to find out is to exercise a little in the week, and then have a week without exercise and see if there is a drastic change. Either way if you are in doubt, it's probably best to leave it as you are going to lose weight regardless!

Yeah that's a very good point, any weight you might be thinking you are losing could be simply your muscles toning and therefore adding more weight when infact you have burnt more fat but because it weights less than muscle, on the scales it looks different... some exercise trainers always mention about noting weightloss not through scales but through body shape, waist size etc so it just depends.

Lol hey come on Rachael, you can't be so hard on yourself as you are certainly doing the best thing any obese person can do which is to lose it :p If you ever feel like the hypocracy is getting to you (i.e. the do as I say not as i do) just remember that doctors can get colds, psychologists can get stressed (i work in the profession so remind myself of this) and gym instructors can put on weight! :D but the gym instructor can surely lose it though being strict on LT lol!

When I completed my round 1 of LT from Sept 2012 to Feb 2013 I lost 6st 5lbs and I did no excercise at all. To be honest I don't think I could have done much, at 24st 7lbs it was a huge effort just getting up the stairs! Then I had a 3 month break when I started to do some excercise to help keep the weight off. I'm not a big fan of excercise but I've found I do enjoy walking. I started back on round 2 of LT just over 2 weeks ago to lose my final few stone and I've decided this time to keep up with my walking because of the huge benefits I feel from doing it. It really helps with my stress levels and so makes it much less likely I will turn to food instead. I walk 2 miles every day, except Sundays which is my day off. I try to go at a fairly decent speed and it takes me just over 25 mins. It doesn't appear to affected my losses for my first 2 weeks but I was worried about it so last week I measured my widest part of my body, my hips, with the thought that if I didn't lose much on the scales my inch loss would be enough to keep me going. This week I have lost 1.25 inches off my hips aswell as the 4lbs on the scales. I would encourage anyone to do a bit of excercise if they can if nothing else to get into the routine of doing something to keep the weight loss off in the future however I agree with Bubz it shouldn't be too extreme!

It may hinder weight loss, but It certainly will do no harm to fat loss which is most important x

Back