Does Exercise Slow Down Weight Loss?

Mia

Skinny girl in a fat body
Years ago I was a gym bunny, but due to various health reasons I became a couch potato:cry:

Anyway, I'm back at the gym and doing 3 Zumba classes a week, an hour in the gym and swim 1/3 - 3/4 of a mile in 30 minutes. Only lost 1.5lb last week (but did stuff my face at the weekend), but since WI on Wednesday I have lost a grand total of .......... NOTHING :confused:

Now I know exercise builds muscle, but I am only doing aerobic exercise, no weights, stomach exercises, sit ups etc. I need to lose over a stone and really thought I could do it in a month maybe but doesn't seem likely at the moment.

What do you think? Has anyone any experience of a slower loss whilst exercising?

I have given up on exercise, well 30 day shred and cross trainer, coz I think it slowed down my losses. I just walk nowadays but aim to introduce exercise at the end of May thus if av lost another stone...

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I have started jogging this week for race for life, I hope it does not have much effect I did gain a suspicious 5lb today though after being 100%. I've chosen to ignore it and get rid of my scales lol

Yep exercise shows on the scales! Your muscles have to retain water to sustain them as they are working hard and no matter what exercise your doing your muscles WILL be building up.

Many people don't lose on the scales but lose a lot more in inches and clothes sizes xx

Chazsucks said:
Yep exercise shows on the scales! Your muscles have to retain water to sustain them as they are working hard and no matter what exercise your doing your muscles WILL be building up.

Many people don't lose on the scales but lose a lot more in inches and clothes sizes xx

Agree. And it does take time to balance out. Weight loss is inevitable but it takes time to show on the scales. It will over time if you are patient. Hope it goes well. Exercise is good for now and especially for later when life after Exante begins.

GSQ

I will continue with the exercise, your body takes on a whole new slimmer shape when more toned so you look as if you've lost weight anyway. I've only got just over a stone to lose so I think it's time to tone up as best I can.

thanks for this, it all makes sense now. I couldnt understand why, on the weeks I was doing more exercise I wasnt losing as much!

Back