Does flying make you gain weight or is it just a myth?

JustForMe

Gold Member
I read somewhere that it may make you retain water, etc and can contribute to short term weight gain.

Or is this just a myth?

I'd be interested to hear thoughts!

I reckon it's probably true, but only to certain point.. if you're just doing a short flight, a couple hours or so, I'm sure it doesn't make much difference but if it's a long flight 10-12 hours say, then you are probably not drinking as much water as normal, not walking around as much, eating airplane food which won't be super healthy so yeah, I can see how you might bloat a bit and retain water.. but it's not really 'weight gain' is it? Just life... lots of water and fruit when you're back on lane and I'm sure that bloating would be gone quick :p

I've already travelled, I just started the diet this morning and I think I'm just looking for excuses to why I'm so fat again. I didn't realise I had put on so much weight :(.

I dont have any official sources to quote on this but as far as I know its true. It makes sense, you spend a long time inactive and not moving much on a plane, and due to low humidity in the air, this can make your body dehydrated, and thus prone to water retention.

It may account for a few pounds, who knows I shall see next Monday at weigh in. OMG I've just seen how much weight you have lost.. congrats!! How long did that take you, it truly is amazing!

I think that the fact that people are usually flying to go on holiday and eating and drinking lots while there helps weight gain too. ;)

My feet and lower legs balloon on flights, but a few hours lying on my bed reading with my legs propped up on the wall sorts me out!

Yes I usually get swollen ankles on the flights but not sure whether that will happen this time as i am a little lighter ????? Have to wait and see in 6 weeks!!!

It may account for a few pounds, who knows I shall see next Monday at weigh in. OMG I've just seen how much weight you have lost.. congrats!! How long did that take you, it truly is amazing!
Me? Thanks! I started losing mid Jan 2010, reached my first target in Oct 2010, and then dropped another stone between Oct and January and called that as a target end of Jan 2011, so a little over a year.

Back