Does getting jiggy really bring on labour?

big bear

A bear on a mission!
I want this baby out now.

Has it actually worked for anyone having sex to bring on labour?

There are so many old wives tales that are suppose to get the baby moving like:

Hot bath
Hot curry
Pineapple
Long walks
Bumpy car journeys
Castor Oil

Have any of these methods work for any of u? No point in having a hot bath & curry and jumping on H if it doesn't work lol

Lol - poor you! I doubt if any of it makes much difference. Babies tend to arrive when they are good and ready. There is a suggestion that the hormones released during sex can trigger labour, but I'm not sure of the scientifc evidence. It certainly can't do any harm so if you fancy it go for it. I would avoid the hot bath - depending on how hot it could be dangerous imho. Good luck with the happy event when he/she arrives!

My hairdresser has just had her baby, she tried all old wives tale and nadda! baby eventually came after 2 days in labour.

I wouldn't have a hot bath for the reasons you're not supposed to have a hot bath in pregnancy, and I wouldn't have a hot curry just in case it does bring on labour and you have to push any time soon (gross :))

Pineapple is supposed to work with some women because of the naturally occurring chemicals, and sex is supposed to help because of the uterine contractions.

Hope this helps!

Hi, all my 5 were overdue :rolleyes: Curry never worked for me.
But pineappple and sex did with 4 of them. But my son was the most difficult one !!! (must be a man thing ;) ) Had to have 2 sweeps.....nothing !!! So went for a walk over the fields, got chased by a cow !!!! My son was born 7hrs later !!!
10lbs 2oz :eek: Sure you don't want to do the cow bit, but walking does help. Or going up and down the stairs.
Good luck xxx

Never heard of the pineapple but none of the others worked for me. When I was in German (Army) one of our 'gang' swore that her labour started after she had some Grolsch ..... it didn't for me!! I was 12 days late, in hospital pessaries, potions & no amount of cajolling did any good. I was eventually put on a drip and my water broken manually - 8hrs later my beautiful daughter finally arrived. Sorry, but good luck.

Midwives told me that getting jiggy could help start labour, have known other people it has worked for - but nothing worked for me. The pineapple has to be fresh - there is a chemical in it that breaks down if the pineapple has been cut for too long - don't know how long. I drank pomegrante juice - that was supposed to help. In te end my son decided that he wanted to arrive and he arrived quickly after that!
I also walked loads and think that helped - bounce on a birthing/exercise ball, relax about the whole thing as well when I gave up wondering when he was going to arrive - was told I'd be induced - he decided to arrive.

Am afraid it's a waiting game though hun. Good luck and hope you hold your bundle soon. :)

This is bad, but when my friend was 10 days overdue she went to the hospital pretending that she culdn't feel the baby moving (even though she was kicking heck outta her belly) and with all the poking and prodding it finally set her off. None of the other old wives tales worked for her, believe me she tried them all. Another friend drank a bottle of the veg oil Castor oil and that set her off.
Kinda makes ya think just let it happen naturally eh?!

WARNING THERE MAY BE TOO MUCH INFO IN THIS POST!

I was advised by my midwife to avoid curry's and castor oil or anything that makes you need to 'run' if you know what I mean - mainly because during labour they don't want masses of other stuff arriving as well - although apparently they don't mind the odd poo so long as it's not runny! My Midwife told me a horror story of one of the first births she was present at - it wasn't pretty at all!

Thanks guys, well my idea went out the window as H fell asleep lol I'd love to have babs on they 10/10/10 how cool would that be.

I'm just gonna be patient & let it come when it's good & ready x

:8855:

WARNING THERE MAY BE TOO MUCH INFO IN THIS POST!

I was advised by my midwife to avoid curry's and castor oil or anything that makes you need to 'run' if you know what I mean - mainly because during labour they don't want masses of other stuff arriving as well - although apparently they don't mind the odd poo so long as it's not runny! My Midwife told me a horror story of one of the first births she was present at - it wasn't pretty at all!

Morning B.B.

Hope you are not around to see this and that all the jigging did the trick.

I know a nice well brought up girl like you was referring to this kind of jigging lol........

YouTube - River Dance

hugs granny Sue xxxxxx

My friend was due Fri and she tried everything but no joy, not yet heard from her though so maybe she's had him now!

I think B.B. must have gone in cos she is usually around and would have been on to us by now.

Oh, I do hope so.

Back