Does LL effect your metabolism?

hellybelly1

Hi there, I'm on week 3 of LL and so far so good :). I met up with a friend who did LL before I knew her and she said it was great and that she lost 4 stone doing it. But she has put it all back on and said it really effected her metabolism. She started back on food after losing the weight and was having packs during the day and then a low fat dinner and was still putting weight back on. I know she didn't do the strict RTM as she said she couldn't afford it, but I do trust her when she says she stuck to 1000 cals a day for first month and still put on half a stone in that short time. She is really supportive of me doing it and wants me to do well but said she wouldn't do it again herself due to this. Is there any evidence that VLCD's can effect your metabolism? I know lots of people on here have and do maintain their weight so part of me tries not to worry about it. I just don't want to be that one person who does pile it back on really quickly. Right, rant over. Please tell me I'm being stupid to worry about it.

The only people I've know who have put on weight are the ones who ahven't done RTM and have gone back to their old eating habits. RTM isn't just about the eating part, it's about eh CBT stuff too so it's really important.

I don't know your friend but something must have gone wrong for her to put the weight back on. Namely not following the plan all the way to the very end.

I'm sure a large majority of the people on here will say the same. And the ones who have put on weight wil say it's because they didn't follow the programme, not because LL affected their metabolism. IN the weeks I've put on weight, it's because I've been a bit naughty and had too much. I've just cut down the following week or so and the week has come back off again.

Even if it did affect your metaboloism, there's got to be something SERIOUSLY wrong to put on 4 stone!

In my personal opinion (this is not scientific evidence) I think it must slow down your metabolic rate. However, (this is scientific fact) your metabolic rate can be changed, unless there is something seriously wrong with you!
You can increase your metabolic rate by increasing your lean muscle mass. This is why I plan to return to thai boxing after I have lost all the weight. One of my friends lost weight with Lighterlife and took up running. She managed to maintain her weight after her loss. She eats normally now with a few occasional treats. I really do believe it's all in the exercise!

All diets slow the metabolism. A VLCD slows it a bit more, but then it will stop lowering and level off (admittedly at the lower rate).

The rtm or CD plans (for the Cambridge folk) will then bring the metabolism back up to normal again.

I'm a great believer in doing the refeeding part...I think they would be taken more notice of if they were renamed "The Metabolic Raising Plan" :D

Hey

Yeah i agree with Caramelcherry. I think it is exercise this is from personal experience. I was 9.5 - 10 stone when i got pregnant with my first son.
I used to be at the gym nearly everyday and I would go for a jog at least twice a week when I found out I was pregnant I cancelled my membership and stopped running becuase i thought it would harm the baby! I had to have a C Section so exercise has taken a back seat......for nearly four years :copon:!! I ate exactly the same thoughout the pregnancy than i did when I was not preggo! I eat less now than ever but I dont do exercise (except walking the dog) so I am deffo going to be increasing my activity levels, I know it will be hard but i think it needs to be done to maintain!

thanks for the replies guys, what you say all makes sense. Obviously she didn't put all the weight on from the effect to her metabolism.. as I said she said she put on 1/2 stone in a month on 1000 cals... but then she gave up, hence the extra 3.5 stone lol!

I'm worried about RTM. Mainly because I'm struggling to afford classes as it is and also because i'm such a fussy eater. I can't see how I can eat the stuff they ask you to. Is there any variety? Also, has anyone done their own RTM with success? I'm borrowing some money to get through my 14 weeks but not sure I could do it for much past that.

thanks for the replies guys, what you say all makes sense. Obviously she didn't put all the weight on from the effect to her metabolism.. as I said she said she put on 1/2 stone in a month on 1000 cals... but then she gave up, hence the extra 3.5 stone lol!

No offence, but isn't that "water weight" and glycogen levels going back to normal? When I get back to eating normally I fully expect to see about half a stone jump in weight within the first month or two. It's not actual FAT and people often think it is, then they get the mentality 'Oh I've blown it now, screw this' and then get back to old eating habits.
I mean the glycogen levels is what we LOSE on the first week of LL - why do you think we see 6lbs-12lbs losses in the first week? It's the energy stores from your muscles being used up. Same thing is going to be 'replenished' so to speak when we get back to eating carbs/sugars.

The first time around I saw this, I actually worked out an eating regime of sticking to a routine meal intake and exercise and I managed to maintain my weight at a fairly steady pace.

So really, a lot of the time, when the natural carb/glycogen levels get refilled, too many people panic not knowing this and throw in the towel way too early. :rolleyes:

From what I understand, a man's metabolic rate can slow to as little as 28% of what it was prior to starting the vlcd. It was a post here that mentioned that (possibly our man Guy but could be wrong).

Slowly increasing the food levels, as the rate increases week on week, should bring you back to normal in 3 months.

From what I understand, a man's metabolic rate can slow to as little as 28% of what it was prior to starting the vlcd.

Yeah, it's about that for a man, but it does vary. The lowest I have ever read about was 40% (again, a man).

Ladies metabolisms come down quicker and go a little lower (hopefully not as low as 40% though...think that was an exception). A mans metabolism will also recover quicker than ladies :(

Back